DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Which of this summer's threequels delivered? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/509033-summers-threequels-delivered.html)

The Bus 08-13-07 12:45 PM

Which of this summer's threequels delivered?

With the release of Rush Hour 3 behind us, it looks like the summer of franchises is behind us. Which of these movies did you feel, delivered or surpassed on the promise or quality (or lack thereof) of its predecessors?

I thought Shrek the Third was abysmal and it sits squarely and securely at the bottom of the list of this year's films; Rush Hour 3 was only slightly better. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was probably the most disappointing, as I had very high expectations.

I thought Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and Spider-man 3 had their good moments; they were each better than the first movie in the series but not as good as the second. I liked Dead Man's Chest more though.

Ocean's 13 delivered, but in my opinion only squeaked by. I had very high expectations for it after Ocean's Twelve.

That leaves Bourne Ultimatum and Live Free or Die Hard as movies that I think are near the top of their genre or franchise. Die Hard was a lot of fun and Bourne was very, very fitting.

Hannibal Rising and TMNT I did not see.

Note I didn't include any sequels in this question because the poll had a max of ten responses.

DonnachaOne 08-13-07 12:47 PM

The Bourne Ultimatum was good.

wendersfan 08-13-07 12:49 PM

Of all the films on the list, the only one I saw, and the only one I'll probably ever see, was <b>Ocean's 13</b>. It did not deliver. A major letdown after <b>Ocean's 12</b>.

Cardiac161 08-13-07 12:49 PM

Bourne Ultimatum definitely delivered. It didn't feel forced and it was as if it was necessary for them to make a trilogy.

Live Free & Die Hard (which is actually Die Hard 4) was a surprise. It wasn't original but the filmmakers knew what the audience wanted and did it well.

The other "threequels" felt very tired, unnecessary & seemed more like commercials to rake in money. I personally felt very disappointed with Spider Man 3 & Ocean's 13 as I found them uninvolving.

B.A. 08-13-07 12:55 PM

Bourne - through and through.

RichC2 08-13-07 01:21 PM

I think you goofed on your reference to Pirates: At World's End.

Spider-man 3 was better off forgotten, though I ultimately did enjoy it more than #1 (which I didn't like at all). Neither comes close to the amazing Spider-man 2.

At World's End was meh, but so was Dead Man's Chest.

Live Free or Die Hard (quadquel? sounds like a toenail.) was very entertaning, even if the simplest bits of consistency were way off.

Bourne Ultimatum was easily the best of the threequels. Live Free or Die Hard wins for the 4+ category (TMNT, Live Free or Die Hard, Harry Potter).

animatedude 08-13-07 01:23 PM

i've seen all the movies you've listed in theatres...except Rush Hour 3 which i'll be seeing in a few weeks.

i hate to be negative but i think all of these threequels are either RUBBISH,mediocre or just overrated....i would say Live Free or Die Hard is the best of the list although it was a big disappointment for me.

i think all these bad threequels are what makes some ppl think this year is a bad year for movies,it's not.

Bandit03 08-13-07 01:45 PM

My vote goes to Pirates 3, but I've only seen Shrek, Spidey and Pirates.

Zodiac_Speaking 08-13-07 02:25 PM

I was lukewarm on Bourne Ultimatum.

I thought Live Free or Die Hard and Ocean's 13 were the delivers for me.

Charlie Goose 08-13-07 02:29 PM

Hannibal Rising - Actually #4. A little odd to see Hannibal as the avenging hero.

TMNT - Didn't see it, or the first ones.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Just as good as the first two, which isn't saying much.

Spider-man 3 - Enjoyable, but the weakest of the three.

Shrek the Third - Didn't see it, will probably put it in my BB queue.

Ocean's 13 - Better than #2.

Live Free or Die Hard - Kicked ass, but I wanted more!

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Didn't see it yet, but I will.

The Bourne Ultimatum - Didn't see it yet, definitely will.

Rush Hour 3 - Didn't see it or the first two.

Ginwen 08-13-07 02:47 PM

Spider-man 3 - I liked it ok, but the weakest of the 3. I actually thought emo/dancing Peter Parker was entertaining, unlike 90% of the internet.

Live Free or Die Hard - I liked this a lot.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - OK, not great. Probably my least favorite of the books so not surprising.

The Bourne Ultimatum - I liked this even more, so it wins in my book.

slop101 08-13-07 03:40 PM

Bourne was the only one on the list I saw (or cared to see) - and it was consistent with the previous Bornes, so I guess it delivered.

DRG 08-13-07 04:13 PM

Hannibal Rising - Saw this in February, so I'm not sure how 'summer' it is... but I thought it was pretty bad.

TMNT - Didn't see yet

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Didn't see yet

Spider-man 3 - Delivered on some counts, but a disappointment in terms of the franchise

Shrek the Third - Horrible drop in quality

Ocean's 13 - A nice rebound from the disaster of part 2

Live Free or Die Hard - Delivered better than I thought it was

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Same as Spidey... delivered on some counts, but a disappointment in terms of the franchise

The Bourne Ultimatum - About the same as 2, so yes

Rush Hour 3 - Again, about the same as 2, so yes

Doc MacGyver 08-13-07 04:16 PM

More love for Spidey 3 than TMNT? I'm shocked. While it wasn't the best movie out this year for genre fans, it was certainly a great relaunching of the franchise without too much pandering. I bought the DVD a week ago and I've watched it twice already, while conversely, I don't even plan on wasting the twenty bucks for the fetid abortion that was Spidey 3.

-Doc

eedoon 08-13-07 05:16 PM

Threequels sounds almost as silly as quadrilogy. -ohbfrank-

That being said, Bourne it is for me.

Mr. Cinema 08-13-07 05:43 PM

Bourne

TheNightFlier 08-13-07 06:05 PM

Bourne and Die Hard.

OldBoy 08-13-07 06:22 PM

how is this thread any different than... Summer movies 2007

The Bus 08-13-07 06:54 PM

Sorry, I think I had some low blood sugar or something. Mods, if you can fix the whole "Dead Man's Chest" entry in the poll and have it read "At World's End" as it should.

<hr>

Originally Posted by scott1598
how is this thread any different than... Summer movies 2007

Spoiler:

<ul>
<li> This thread is about "threequels" or continuing movies in franchises (beyond Part 2). Transformers, Knocked Up, Fantastic Four, etc. did not qualify.
<li> This thread contains movies not released in the summer.
<li> This thread contains movies released after July.
<li> I'm not asking for the favorite movie, simply what movies delivered: multiple choice vs. selecting one movie.
</ul>

<hr>

I included Potter, Lecter, and TMNT since they were well-established franchises. I couldn't think of any other major Part 3+ coming out.

The whole idea was to take a step back and think about all the terrible (or good) movies we may or may not have seen. I have to admit I saw Shrek only because a friend's girlfriend wanted to see it and I had nothing better to do. We're feeding the system and I'm probably as guilty as anyone else. :lol:

JPRaup 08-13-07 07:14 PM

Oceans, Bourne

ken_572002 08-13-07 07:35 PM

Surf's Up, but it's not on your list...

Daytripper 08-13-07 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I thought Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and Spider-man 3 had their good moments; they were each better than the first movie in the series but not as good as the second. I liked Dead Man's Chest more though.

Huh!? Neither Pirates sequel are anywhere near as great as the first. IMO.

OK, I hated #2 and #3.

PopcornTreeCt 08-13-07 07:53 PM

So many of those movies aren't the third in the series.

Mountain Biker 08-13-07 08:10 PM

Die Hard is the only one that lived up to the hype.

Bourne was good too, but way overrated.

dpz301 08-13-07 08:55 PM

bourne and ocean's for me.