DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Beat Takeshi/Takeshi Kitano Appreciation Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/508876-beat-takeshi-takeshi-kitano-appreciation-thread.html)

DrRingDing 08-11-07 05:40 PM

The Beat Takeshi/Takeshi Kitano Appreciation Thread

I just saw Zatoichi for the first time, and have also seen Fireworks and Kikujiro. I've loved them all and I'm looking forward to finally seeing Brother, Sonatine and Violent Cop.

Anybody else here a Beat Takeshi fan? If so, what do you feel is his best film?
-ringding-

inri222 08-11-07 07:03 PM

I like his movies, but I think that none of them even come close to Fireworks. To me Fireworks is a masterpiece.

Supermallet 08-11-07 07:37 PM

I love Beat, he's amazing. I thought his take on Zatoichi was really breathtaking, and can't wait for the sequel.

zombeaner 08-11-07 09:08 PM

I loved Violent Cop. I haven't seen Hana-bi yet, but I'm looking forward to that one.

joeydaninja 08-11-07 09:49 PM

Battle Royale!

canaryfarmer 08-11-07 10:28 PM

Gotta say, he was pretty drat good in Battle Royale. His Zatoichi was much better than I was expecting, but really, it's his work in Takeshi's Castle that will survive the test of time. :nopanic:

Mordred 08-11-07 11:32 PM

I'm a huge Beat Takeshi fan and have seen almost all his serious films.

Originally Posted by inri222
I like his movies, but I think that none of them even come close to Fireworks. To me Fireworks is a masterpiece.

Fireworks is one of the greatest movies of all time in my opinion. Just brilliant.

Zatoichi was enjoyable and pretty cool but was kind of light. Sonatine is probably his second best film and has a lot of his usual themes. Violent Cop was kind of a dumb action movie, but I enjoyed it. Brother is a cool film, although the American influence is definitely there.

I would say to avoid Boiling Point. It's easily his worst film, doesn't make sense and will probably piss you off. Takeshis' is very different from anything I've ever seen. It makes less sense than the strangest dream you've ever had and basically seems him making fun of himself and his film career.

For films that Takeshi didn't direct I'd definitely recommend Blood and Bones. He gives an amazing performance.

Jackskeleton 08-12-07 12:37 AM

Brother is the shit. I loved that film. Mainly due to the fact that a lot of places filmed are places I grew up around. Little Tokyo and even Won Kok in China Town are filming locations. I actually ran into Beat in Little Tokyo once. That was an amazing event and my friends with me who were also fans flipped the hell out.

The Bus 08-12-07 01:18 AM

I wish they showed Takeshi's Castle here in the US.

DrRingDing 08-12-07 03:55 PM

Just watched Sonatine. Very interesting film. A lot of down time. But that's why I love his films. A beautiful film.

I followed it by watching the dvd's Quentin Tarantino "intro" and "outro", which was completely ridiculous. And the interview with Beat, where they spent half the time speaking about Quentin. :rolleyes:

-ringding-