DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Enter the Dragon (remake) - news, rumors, castings (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/508745-enter-dragon-remake-news-rumors-castings.html)

devilshalo 08-10-07 03:06 AM

Enter the Dragon (remake) - news, rumors, castings

Warners to remake 'Enter the Dragon'
'Shield's' Kurt Sutter to direct noir-style update
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Bruce Lee starrer 'Enter the Dragon' is set for a noir-style remake from 'The Shield' exec producer Kurt Sutter.

Warner Independent Pictures has set "The Shield" exec producer Kurt Sutter to write and make his feature directing debut on "Awaken the Dragon."
Noir-style remake of "Enter the Dragon,"
the 1973 martial arts classic that made Bruce Lee a global star, will be produced by John Wells, Fred Weintraub and Paul Heller.

John Wells Prods. is based on the Warner lot, and Weintraub and Heller were producers of the original WB-distributed film.

Sutter said he's writing "Awaken the Dragon" as a contemporized drama about a lone FBI agent who pursues a rogue Shaolin monk into the bloody world of underground martial arts fight clubs.

Original film starred Lee as a martial artist who's drafted by law enforcement to participate in a martial arts tournament and infiltrate a drug smuggling operation run from the host's heavily guarded island.

"I'm a huge noir fan, and this plot lends itself to the film I want to make," Sutter said. "I wanted to set it in these underground fight clubs where the action is really raw and expose the brutality of Shaolin kung fu. This will be more 'Raging Bull' than 'Crouching Tiger' in its viciousness."

Sutter will look to discover a fight star in the role of the monk and cast an established American actor to play the FBI agent.

Sutter, who'll be a consulting producer for the final season of "The Shield," is writing the FX pilot "Forever Sam Crow," a drama set in the world of outlaw motorcycle clubs. He's completing the script to "Inland Saints," a Paramount Pictures drama to be directed Joel Schumacher and produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura.

Underground fighting hmm? Kumite, Bloodsport, Lionheart, Best of the Best 2, etc. didn't tackle that one subject enough?

LorenzoL 08-10-07 05:51 AM

A noir-styled martial arts movie??? Underground fight clubs???
So far it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in this project.

FantasticVSDoom 08-10-07 08:06 AM

Brutality of Shaolin Kung-Fu??? Did he really say that?

nemein 08-10-07 08:21 AM

-ohbfrank-

Kicker_of_Elves 08-10-07 09:06 AM

Please god no.

Fielding Mellish 08-10-07 09:44 AM

The Mariana Trench in a sea of bad remake ideas. Please make it stop.

Drop 08-10-07 09:56 AM

I think it could be good. Sounds interesting atleast. It barely sounds like a remake, though.

eiker_ir 08-10-07 10:27 AM

why bother saying it's a remake when it'll make people pissed like always, when the movie seems like it's going to be completely different than the original?

mrhan 08-10-07 10:48 AM

WHY? What a stupid ass idea.

Drop 08-10-07 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by eiker_ir
why bother saying it's a remake when it'll make people pissed like always, when the movie seems like it's going to be completely different than the original?

Maybe it's close enough where they could get sued if they don't have the rights? That's the only reason I can figure.

mrhan 08-10-07 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Drop
Maybe it's close enough where they could get sued if they don't have the rights? That's the only reason I can figure.

Both properties are owned by Warner so that isn't a problem.

islandclaws 08-10-07 01:23 PM

I say ditch the remake plan, retitle the film and make it just different enough to not piss of Lee fans around the world. I'm a major noir fan myself, so anything new that comes into that world is usually worth a look. It sounds like an interesting premise at least. Bloodsport meets The Big Sleep?

stingermck 08-10-07 01:24 PM

No :(

VHS? 08-10-07 01:52 PM

They just wont stop..........
Great movies will be remembered by their shitty remakes...sad

Dash 08-10-07 02:08 PM

over the years there have been a few* good remakes over the years. Its not like they are all bad.

Edit to add This just has stinker written all over it.

Bandoman 08-10-07 02:18 PM

http://croutonboy.typepad.com/cheeky..._jeans_2_2.jpg

Johnny Zhivago 08-10-07 02:21 PM

Great idea, at this rate every movie that's ever been made will be remade. Awesome!*

* In case your sarcasm detector is broken, yes, it is.

XavierMike 08-10-07 03:50 PM

Damn, one of my favorite movies is about to be ruined.

Original Desmond 08-10-07 08:34 PM

Enter the Dragon is my no 1 favourite movie of all time, Bruce Lee is my hero. Don't fuck with a legend, please !

35 years on, No martial arts actor has had the on screen charisma of Bruce, not Jackie, not Jet, no one.

Bluelitespecial 08-10-07 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Enter the Dragon is my no 1 favourite movie of all time, Bruce Lee is my hero. Don't fuck with a legend, please !

35 years on, No martial arts actor has had the on screen charisma of Bruce, not Jackie, not Jet, no one.

How about use Tony Jaa, i just watched the Protector, he could possibly be good for the role, but I have never seen Enter the Dragon so what would I know.

Linn1 08-10-07 10:06 PM

Wow....

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Brutality of Shaolin Kung-Fu??? Did he really say that?

The SECOND I read that, I knew we were dealing with REALLY stupid people. Did the guy actually ever watch Enter the Dragon?

As for remakes, when will they learn? They might be breaking even on these things, but considering one for every ten or so are watchable, it's a wash. And as for this, doesn't sound like a remake, sounds like that "remake" of The Wild Bunch that's set in modern day and dealing with drug smugglers. Meaning, it's called a remake just to get a little extra copy, but it's not really a remake at all.

The Bus 08-10-07 11:28 PM

I heard they are casting Dane Cook.

VHS? 08-10-07 11:42 PM

The Lee family should not allow this to happen.

Abob Teff 08-11-07 12:21 AM

I heard that in keeping with the Lee tradition, Jason Lee is being cast w/ Jackie Chan.

Joe Molotov 08-11-07 01:18 AM

Come on guys, keep an open mind. This sounds like it might be pretty good.

:lol: