DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What Do I Need To Do To See Grindhouse Now? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/508698-what-do-i-need-do-see-grindhouse-now.html)

Bigsierra 08-09-07 05:53 PM

What Do I Need To Do To See Grindhouse Now?

Is there a chance it will come to the budget theater near me, or is the only thing to do is wait for the DVD? It doesn't look like the Grindhouse website is even available anymore.

calhoun07 08-09-07 05:57 PM

There is always a chance, but I suppose it would be up to your local dollar theater.

Mondo Kane 08-09-07 06:37 PM

Go rent a hotel room. It's playin on PPV there.

Jason 08-09-07 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Go rent a hotel room. It's playin on PPV there.

So PPV has the whole thing, including trailers, while the DVD release is all fucked up. Weird.

DJLinus 08-09-07 06:47 PM

Yeah, I missed out on this, too. I'm hoping it comes to my city's only cheap theater (the historic Byrd Theatre), but it seems to be currently showing movies that were released well after Grindhouse, so I doubt it'll happen here. Unless they do a midnight screening or something.

Then again, while the Byrd is really cool aesthetically, its seats are the most uncomfortable movie seats that I've ever sat on. I don't think I could handle a 3+ hour film there (both Heat and Braveheart were tests of assdurance back in the day, as is the annual Christmas night showing of It's a Wonderful Life).

Bigsierra 08-09-07 06:48 PM

Which hotel chain do I need to visit?

islandclaws 08-09-07 06:48 PM

That's actually not a bad idea. Get a cheap room with a chick, bring some brew, a couple joints and you're in business.

SPiRAL 08-09-07 10:00 PM

Yeah, my buddy was in Vegas a couple weeks ago and he finally saw it in his hotel room.

AGuyNamedMike 08-10-07 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Then again, while the Byrd is really cool aesthetically, its seats are the most uncomfortable movie seats that I've ever sat on. I don't think I could handle a 3+ hour film there (both Heat and Braveheart were tests of assdurance back in the day, as is the annual Christmas night showing of It's a Wonderful Life).

Man I remember the Byrd! Last movie I saw there was Buck Rogers, lol. Do they still play the organ?

starman9000 08-10-07 09:29 AM

I think it was in and out of my cheap theater a long time ago, so I'd be surprised if it popped up again at this point. Maybe some theaters are on a later schedule though?

maingon 08-10-07 10:46 AM

if anyone missed it in theaters, you really missed out this was a very fun movie to see in the theater, it wont be the same on DVD and since they are releasing them sepreate its not a real grindhouse experience

clappj 08-10-07 12:50 PM

My vote's to go the time machine method.

d2cheer 08-11-07 10:14 AM

What happened to the overseas release of this? Was it even released overseas?

Mondo Kane 08-12-07 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer
What happened to the overseas release of this? Was it even released overseas?

The movie was seperated overseas. Death Proof played in it's extended format in Europe and Australia.

I think Planet Terror gets released there next month.

ScottsDvds 08-12-07 07:20 PM

$14.99 at the Marriott.

Kudama 08-12-07 09:31 PM

Pick the roof of the mouth. Hell is movies, Heaven is commercials.

DJLinus 08-15-07 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Man I remember the Byrd! Last movie I saw there was Buck Rogers, lol. Do they still play the organ?

Yep, on the Saturday nights. And then there's the Christmas sing-along before the showings of It's a Wonderful Life.

I swear, though, if I ever become rich enough to be considered a philanthropist, the first place that I donate a large sum of money to would be the Byrd so that new seats could be installed.

They did recently upgrade the sound system, which is nice.

Bigsierra 08-20-07 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by ScottsDvds
$14.99 at the Marriott.

What kind of connections do they have on their units? Coax? Composite? I'm guessing it's not any better than those.

Seantn 08-20-07 04:42 PM

Yeah, this movie is long gone from theaters, including the cheapies.

Jason 08-20-07 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bigsierra
What kind of connections do they have on their units? Coax? Composite? I'm guessing it's not any better than those.

Forget it. They're coax connections with shields to prevent you from taking them off. No AV out, either. Hotel TVs are cheap pieces of crap, even in nice places.

If you want to see the original theatrical Grindhouse, leave the Death Proof and Planet Terror DVDs on the store's shelves. A little willpower coupled with letters and phone calls to the studio, will show them that this release scheme inappropriate for the initial release.

But studios know that people have zero self control, and will march out to buy these like the good little consumer sheep they are. After all, "OMFG, its in a metal box!!!1!"

argh923 08-20-07 11:45 PM

Or, you could just rent both movies on DVD, and watch them back to back.

Jackskeleton 08-21-07 02:11 AM

And.. you know, miss the only good thing about these films which is the fake trailers mixed into them.

Seantn 08-21-07 03:52 AM

I actually thought that the trailers for "Werewolf Women of the SS" was the weakest part of the entire experience. Same goes for "Machete" (even though I thought the trailer was ok).

"Thanksgiving" and "Dont" felt like they managed to perfectly balance out being self aware of how cheesy they were and at the same time being like the films they were modeled after. "Werewolf" and "Machete" felt like the directors just were winking at the audience every second saying "Get it? GET IT?! It's funny and cool!!!!! We're trying so hard!" (I know, some will probably say that that is also what the main features were doing as well, but with the 2 trailers I mentioned it was just too distracting to enjoy)

SonOfAStu 08-21-07 08:46 AM

I agree, but I thought all the trailers were the weakest part. Both features entertained me to no end, but the fake trailers were way to forced. But I know, I'm not nearly as cool as the people who thought they were the best part.

Giles 08-21-07 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
I agree, but I thought all the trailers were the weakest part. Both features entertained me to no end, but the fake trailers were way to forced. But I know, I'm not nearly as cool as the people who thought they were the best part.

I totally disagree with you on that, the trailers of this of genre, did what these did - OTT and totally forced - I know the movies are getting released 'extended - uncut' on home video, but is the trailer for 'Thanksgiving' for the DVD edition the full version, you know that shot - trampoline bounce - was one of the casualities for the film's theatrical R-rating.