Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Nines (8/31,Ltd Release, Starring Ryan Reynolds, Written/Directed by John August)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Nines (8/31,Ltd Release, Starring Ryan Reynolds, Written/Directed by John August)

Old 08-07-07, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if a lot of you have heard about this movie, but I've been following it now for a while and from everything I hear, it's an amazing film.

It has a limited release in Los Angeles & New York on August 31st.

The Plot outline on IMDB reads: "A troubled actor, a television show runner, and an acclaimed videogame designer find their lives intertwining in mysterious and unsettling ways."

Check out the Trailer:
The Nines Trailer (YouTube)

Also, if you're interested, check out the official website:
LookForTheNines.com

I'm in no way involved with this film, but it looks really good and there's no way I can make it to LA or NY to see the limited release, so i'm hoping it gets a wider release.

What do you think?

Last edited by ConVerse; 08-07-07 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-07-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a .mov version: http://movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=nines

I just watched the trailer and came by to see if anybody else posted about it...looks like you beat me by an hour or so.

It does look very interesting and original. Is that meant as more of a teaser? I can't really work out the plot, but I guess that's the point (?).

I doubt it's something I'd go see in the theater, but I'll definitely watch it on dvd!
Old 08-07-07, 10:26 PM
Banned

Looks interesting. Will wait for DVD though.
Old 08-07-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like Ryan Reynolds so I'll see it eventually.
Old 08-08-07, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Same here.
Old 08-08-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ditto
Old 08-08-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ryan Reynolds is a good ole' Canadian actor. The plot sounds pretty intresting as well. I'll pick it up when it hits DVD.
Old 08-08-07, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
Here's a .mov version: http://movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=nines

I just watched the trailer and came by to see if anybody else posted about it...looks like you beat me by an hour or so.

It does look very interesting and original. Is that meant as more of a teaser? I can't really work out the plot, but I guess that's the point (?).

I doubt it's something I'd go see in the theater, but I'll definitely watch it on dvd!

Yeah, The Trailer was good. But it made it look like it was attempting to be a horror movie and kind of reminded me of The Number 23. From what I hear though, the trailer doesn't do the movie justice, so I can't wait to see it.
Old 08-17-07, 02:35 PM

WorstPreviews has The First 9 Minutes of The Nines ... clever eh?

It makes me wanna see it even more. Check it out ...

http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=977&item=4
Old 08-17-07, 02:40 PM

I can't follow Ryan Reynolds as a serious actor. He was alright in Smokin' Aces, but I just don't see him as a dramatic actor.
Old 08-29-07, 04:32 PM

I think we all have our doubts about Reynolds as a dramatic actor. But from the few dramatic/tense scenes i've seen him do in 'Smokin Aces' and 'Finders Fee' .... I think he deserves a shot.

I was just reading that he's doing a seriously dramatic movie with Julia Roberts about some family tragedy. I think it's called FIREFLIES IN THE GARDEN. So it looks like he's got some dramatic roles coming up, it should be interesting to see
Old 08-30-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Trailer makes it look like he's stuck in a Sims type video game or something, which sounds idiotic. Will keep my eye on it to see if it's just a bad trailer or not.
Old 08-30-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've liked a lot of the movies John August has written, as well as his great website, so I'm interested to see this, since it's his feature directorial debut. I also think Ryan Reynolds is great at both comedy and drama, so that's a plus.
Old 08-31-07, 11:07 AM

I'm taking the chance. I bought tickets to the Limited Screening in New York. I live in Jersey so i'm hoping I make it, the traffic should be a little rough being Labor Day weekend and New York.

But i'm looking forward to it. I'll be sure to let you guys know what i think of it when I get back.
Old 08-31-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Melissa McCarthy and John August will be at the 7:30 & 10:00 showings tonight, at The Nuart in West LA if anyone's interested.
Old 08-31-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The NY Times says it's also playing in Austin, TX.
Old 09-01-07, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Went to the Nuart screening. I've been to many of his Q&As and find him to be a very engaging speaker, but his directing debut left me unfulfilled on some promising ideas.
Old 09-03-07, 06:11 PM

Alright, I went to the NY screening on Friday and I left the theatre completely confused. It's now Monday and I still have this movie on my mind. The performances by Ryan Reynolds and Melissa McCarthy were great. I was always kept entertained and I really hope this gets a wider release so I can see it again soon.

LA Times & NY Times give it incredible reviews ......
LA Times REVIEW

NY Times REVIEW
Old 10-12-07, 02:33 PM

Damn it, I don't think this movie ever hit the screens in Tampa, FL. I was wanting to see it tonight.
Old 10-15-07, 04:02 PM

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's getting a wider release (at least not in Canada or the United States) according to John August himself (http://johnaugust.com/archives/2007/summing-up-nines). He's mentioned that the DVD is in progress and would hopefully be released soon into the new year.
Old 10-16-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks. I watched the trailer for this this weekend, was intrigued... I happened to be in one of the few cities that actually played it... and it's no longer in theaters here. Guess I'll wait for the DVD.
Old 10-26-07, 11:30 AM

From what i've read, they're still going to release in theatres overseas and then bring it out on DVD in January or February.

Big disappointment, this film should've gotten a nation wide release.
Old 11-26-07, 02:20 PM

Definitely no chance for a wider theatrical release ...

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/the-nines.html
Old 01-30-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Nines (8/31,Ltd Release, Starring Ryan Reynolds, Written/Directed by John Aug

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
Eventually finally came tonight, some two plus years later. This wound up being one of those movies that I bought, shelved and totally forgot about.

Very interesting movie. Strange. Definitely not what I was thinking it was going to be. Did anyone else ever wind up seeing this one?
Old 01-30-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The Nines (8/31,Ltd Release, Starring Ryan Reynolds, Written/Directed by John Aug

I rented it awhiles back, and loved it. Thought it was just a really fun, well acted and directed mindfucky type movie. Anyone who thinks Reynolds can "only" do "smart alecky" roles would be wise to watch this as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.