DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   anyone think streaming is a good way to go (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/508439-anyone-think-streaming-good-way-go.html)

Tonit 08-07-07 03:00 PM

anyone think streaming is a good way to go

for watching movies? If the stream quality is really approaching dvd quality why not? You could always hook it up to your tv right? Read this article yesterday about that and here it is!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/06/bu...l?ref=business

Mopower 08-07-07 03:12 PM

No. Why? Because unless you live in a major city like 15,000 plus your internet speed isn't fast enough. It might be a major hit in large cities with 10mb connections but out in real America 512k isn't going to be enough. Most people can barely check their email let alone hook a computer up to their TV and make it work right. The only way it will take off is if technology advances far enough that the majority of the country can get high speeds and a dedicated box for their TV.

taffer 08-07-07 03:19 PM

Streaming is a horrible idea. I like to own an actual physical collection, whether it be DVDs or something else. What happens in 10 years or so if I want to watch an older movie and it is not available to be streamed from any source? Long live physical media!!

Tonit 08-07-07 03:56 PM

Streaming is a horrible idea for those who like to own physical media, I can agree with that. I am sure dvds will be around for those who want them. Just like tube amplifiers for Hi-Fi fans are still around and manufactured still today.

mndtrp 08-08-07 01:13 AM

I'd love it to check out movies that I don't know if I want to buy or not. For that matter, I already do it with Netflix's service. At some point, I hope it's quality enough to have on a screen larger than my computer.

EdTheRipper 08-08-07 05:17 AM

I'm not a fan of streaming. I can't imagine myself sitting in front of the computer just watching a movie. The need to multi-task would drive me nuts.

eedoon 08-08-07 06:22 AM

May be in the future when you can stream movies without the need of rebuffering every a couple minutes or so. Let's say... may be five years from now? But I agree that it's not for everyone. I think in the future there's going to be a market for VOD and streaming, and also physical movie.

The Bus 08-08-07 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by eedoon
May be in the future when you can stream movies without the need of rebuffering every a couple minutes or so. Let's say... may be five years from now?

I can stream HD movies through my cable box now. And I don't even live in a large metropolitan area, although I am in the NE corridor.

Bandit03 08-08-07 09:05 AM

I think streaming will have a role in the future but I dont think it will replace physical media, at least not anytime soon. I also dont like the idea of not being able to watch a movie if my connection is down.

nateman 08-08-07 09:50 AM

Nope, I'm sticking with building my DVD Collection. I'd have nothing to talk about in the DVDTalk forums & I really don't want to sit in front of my computer for a movie length.

Plus my internet isn't very fast at all.

taffer 08-08-07 01:28 PM

For everyone that thinks that you would have to sit in front of a PC to watch a streaming movie: who is to say that in the near future that TVs won't be internet-capable? I think that a tivo-like device will be created that enables TVs to connect to the internet and stream movie files.

Video game consoles are becoming more and more PC-like every generation, and you can already connect to the internet with every console out this generation.

Drexl 08-08-07 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tonit
Streaming is a horrible idea for those who like to own physical media, I can agree with that. I am sure dvds will be around for those who want them. Just like tube amplifiers for Hi-Fi fans are still around and manufactured still today.

Well, I agree, but I think physical media will have much more presence than tube amplifiers. It will probably be closer to CDs, which people say are falling by the wayside, yet you can still buy them everywhere.

RichC2 08-08-07 01:56 PM

Streaming = awesome rental solution, terrible purchase solution (though I like it for games, with movies I like being able to watch it on numerous devices).

Jericho 08-08-07 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower
No. Why? Because unless you live in a major city like 15,000 plus your internet speed isn't fast enough. It might be a major hit in large cities with 10mb connections but out in real America 512k isn't going to be enough. Most people can barely check their email let alone hook a computer up to their TV and make it work right. The only way it will take off is if technology advances far enough that the majority of the country can get high speeds and a dedicated box for their TV.

I'd agree with this.

The Bus 08-08-07 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by taffer
who is to say that in the near future that TVs won't be internet-capable? I think that a tivo-like device will be created that enables TVs to connect to the internet and stream movie files.

You mean one that is a console, like the 360? Or one that you purchase from a computer manufacturer, like the AppleTV device? Or perhaps Tivo, which now works with Amazon's Unbox so you can stream movies from there.

This thread reads like it was bumped from 5 years ago. Everything you're talking about is here already.

Personally, I think streaming HD content is wonderful until I can get my hands on a BD player. For anything that won't be on HD DVD, I pay $4-$5 to have it streamed and I can watch it on any of my TVs (through the 360 or through my cable box, Unbox I only use on the TV to see comedy shows, etc).

Media is still preferred, but don't kid yourself. Streaming is the future. It already happened to music, it'll happen to movies once the technology is up to snuff, meaning -- it's happening now.

Chad 08-08-07 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tonit
You could always hook it up to your tv right?

Sure. I view Netflix Watch Now movies on an LCD TV that's connected to my laptop via an S-Video cable.

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I'd love it to check out movies that I don't know if I want to buy or not. For that matter, I already do it with Netflix's service.

Same here. It's great for those movies you wouldn't normally even bother renting, for those you'd rather try before you buy instead of going the "blind buy" route, and for the ones you're simply too embarrassed to rent and/or buy. :D