DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   what happened in premonition? (spoilers) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/508058-what-happened-premonition-spoilers.html)

iconoclasm 08-02-07 06:47 PM

what happened in premonition? (spoilers)

i never understood why sandra bullock found blood in the backyard, and i still dont get the ending. There were about 3 false endings, then apparently she was dreaming the whole thing, and was changing houses with her daughers? and the week of the death of her husband actually took place months ago?

I assume the husband took out the huge death insurance policy because she told him she had dreams of him dying. but wtf is up with the blood in the backyard, and the bloody gloves in the trashcan? wtf. Maybe i am missing something or maybe the film is just bad.

edit, apparently i put this in the wrong forum, i cant seem to delete it. still would love to hear any responses

BuckNaked2k 08-02-07 08:52 PM

This needs to be moved...

DeputyDave 08-03-07 09:30 AM

The blood and gloves were from the dead bird she found in her back yard.

thefour 08-04-07 11:38 PM

When she was talking outside with "Jim" during the rainstorm, lightning struck a power line and the line electrocuted a black crow, the black crow fell to the ground dead. Later she tripped over a toy while hanging her laundry outside on the clothesline and her hand fell onto that dead bird. The blood was from the dead bird.

She wasn't dreaming the whole thing. She was confused as to what was going on. She thought maybe she dreamt it all. She saw a man at a development where they were building new homes. He said this is a great place to start over. My guess is that the house was filled with bad memories for her and her daughters so they moved to that new development to "start over". The death of her husband was months before the last scene because she is about 3-4 months pregnant in that last shot.

Ok call me sentimental but I would have liked to see her save him and not be the cause of it like the priest basically told her she would be!

her34 08-05-07 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by iconoclasm
i never understood why sandra bullock found blood in the backyard, and i still dont get the ending. There were about 3 false endings, then apparently she was dreaming the whole thing, and was changing houses with her daughers? and the week of the death of her husband actually took place months ago?

I assume the husband took out the huge death insurance policy because she told him she had dreams of him dying. but wtf is up with the blood in the backyard, and the bloody gloves in the trashcan? wtf. Maybe i am missing something or maybe the film is just bad.

edit, apparently i put this in the wrong forum, i cant seem to delete it. still would love to hear any responses

more questions to ponder which the director & screenwriter apparently didn't:

1) the first day of the movie is thursday. the girl got cuts on tuesday. where were the scars on thursday? the scars that continued to exist to end of movie with pregnancy

2) the grandmother committed sandra bullock because bullock didn't know how the girl got scars. no one called the hospital? no one asked the girl? the girl forgot she ran through a glass door? there isn't a broken glass door in the house?

3) wouldn't it look stupid for the head to fall out of the casket?

The Bus 08-06-07 09:09 AM

This played on the plane I was on recently and I thought I was following it without hearing the audio. I was obviously wrong. :lol:

Shannon Nutt 08-06-07 11:21 AM

What happens in Premonition:

Spoiler:
Absolutely nothing.

argh923 08-06-07 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by her34

1) the first day of the movie is thursday. the girl got cuts on tuesday. where were the scars on thursday? the scars that continued to exist to end of movie with pregnancy

2) the grandmother committed sandra bullock because bullock didn't know how the girl got scars. no one called the hospital? no one asked the girl? the girl forgot she ran through a glass door? there isn't a broken glass door in the house?

Exactly. None of this made any sense.

DVD Josh 08-06-07 01:59 PM

I thought the point of the movie was that she was stuck in a classic paradoxical loop where by her actions in trying to avoid the end result were exactly what caused it.

I actually appreciated the ending more until the stupid pregnancy reveal. Minority Report was ruined because of it too. I don't see the need for happy / hopeful endings when they don't fit in the tone of the movie.

Jericho 08-07-07 11:37 AM

I didn't understand it either. I thought this might be explained by the ending, but it didn't. And I thought it might not appear to Sandra Bullock until she actually saw it, but that wasn't true either.

What bothered me more is that she was being committed only two days after her husband dies (or at least when she found out about it). She's upset and grieving and the mother ships her off that quick? Hell, she seemed fine on Friday, so it's like a one date fit and she's being locked up?

iconoclasm 08-08-07 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I thought the point of the movie was that she was stuck in a classic paradoxical loop where by her actions in trying to avoid the end result were exactly what caused it.

yeah that is what i figured, and that would make the most sense, and would explain the inconsistensies, but that isnt just a premonition, that is sci fi. Not that there is anything wrong with that

I actually appreciated the ending more until the stupid pregnancy reveal. Minority Report was ruined because of it too. I don't see the need for happy / hopeful endings when they don't fit in the tone of the movie.

cmichellen13 03-13-11 09:01 PM

Re: what happened in premonition? (spoilers)

Originally Posted by her34 (Post 8052277)

The reason why thursday the girl didnt have cuts was because when Sandra Bullock had premonitions she would go back and change the past and it would effect the future. So that day when she didnt do laundry and put up the stickers at the beginning was altered when she went back and changed the past. I hope that makes sense.

The reason nobody knew what happened was the girls were told not to talk about it to let it go and pretend they werent there. The dad wasnt there to say they went to the hospital he was already passed away, Sandra Bullock didnt rememebr it and the girls were told not to speak of it.

cmichellen13 03-13-11 09:05 PM

Re: what happened in premonition? (spoilers)

It wasnt that she was in an alternate universe or anything sci fi She was having premonitions and was able to go back that they explain when she goes to the church and the preacher reads the stories of how back in the old days they thought you to be a witch the people were "gifted" (my term) like in some movies people are able to forsee the future. well she was able to relive her past. Therefore the things that already happened she went back and tried to change which made it worse. Like if she wouldnt of ever not did the laundry Bridgette would of seen stickers on the door and wouldnt have ran through. If she wasnt frantic aboutt he laundry being outside they wouldnt have ever had a reason to go out there to get the sheets. Where in the beginning she got them in the mroning after the rain. She went back and made changes and messed things up more