Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

20 Years of Siskel/Roeper & Ebert Episodes to Be Put Online This Week (7/29 - 8/5)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

20 Years of Siskel/Roeper & Ebert Episodes to Be Put Online This Week (7/29 - 8/5)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
On the show, they mentioned that a lot of the older tapes have been lost or destroyed, unfortunately, which is why they only go back 20 years.
I see. Too bad.

Found a few other gems:

-Friedkin's The Guardian: Siskel cracks up at the beginning while describing the plot; later, Ebert tells a bomb of a joke badly.

-I love how they viciously rip into Frozen Assets, Mad Dog Time, She's Out of Control (Siskel was actually resigned to quitting his job after this one), Speed Zone (Smothers Brothers "cinematic hookers"), et al. Those heavy pans are my favourites.
Old 08-02-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Here's a 1982 "Sneak Previews" clip with Siskel & Ebert's "infamous" review of Blade Runner (at least Ebert said people should see it for the special effects, although he mispronounces "replicant"):

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4vMCRofn_98"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4vMCRofn_98" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Given that it's from before 1985, will this make it to the new site one day?
Old 08-02-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was able to get the first video to load, but now none of the reviews are loading. But, of course the ads load just fine.

BTW
if you are trying to look up Amelie. They spelled it wrong. Look it up by director Jean-Pierre Jeunet.
Old 08-02-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Roger Ebert is online right NOW with his chat

http://chat.go.com/BVTV/index
Old 08-02-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Omar:
Which director do you like better: Francis Ford Coppola or Martin Scorsese?

Roger Ebert:
Do you prefer apples, or peaches?
Old 08-02-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I liked seeing the Species review again where Roger laments how cheesy it is that Natasha Henstridge as the alien takes her top off, and Gene says he enjoyed that. Roger: "I'll bet you did."
Old 08-02-07, 07:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Hey, he answered my question!

Chris:
Why on earth would anyone want to watch a subtitled movie??? Especially if its in a theatre were you cannot go back if you missed anything. This is a no brainer, sure they may be good movies,but I want to watch the actors ACT , if I am constantly reading to keep up with the movie I miss seeing the film , this is what books are for.Then there is the problem of not being able to read whats on the screen when it is against a white background,Yellow should be the default colour not white. This is my big point how can you review a movie if you can not watch the expressions on the faces etc. of all the actors.

Roger Ebert:
Because you don't just WATCH actors act, you HEAR them. Why rob an actor of his or her instrument? Dubbed movies sound phoned in on amateur night. And many of the best films are foreign, so don't deprive yourself. Also, don't tell a lot of people you won't go to subtitled movies. They may leap to assumptions.
Old 08-02-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-02-07, 07:50 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
The old clips are great to watch. I was rolling watching Siskel try to pronounce Darabont at the end of his Shawshank review.
Old 08-02-07, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
Here's a 1982 "Sneak Previews" clip with Siskel & Ebert's "infamous" review of Blade Runner (at least Ebert said people should see it for the special effects, although he mispronounces "replicant"):

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4vMCRofn_98"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4vMCRofn_98" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Given that it's from before 1985, will this make it to the new site one day?
That's awesome. Heck, that's so old, they didn't even have the thumbs yet.

And though it's sacrilige to say so amongst all these fanboys, they're right about Blade Runner. The story is rather weak, and certainly plays second (or third) fiddle to the special effects.
Old 08-02-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
That's awesome. Heck, that's so old, they didn't even have the thumbs yet.

And though it's sacrilige to say so amongst all these fanboys, they're right about Blade Runner. The story is rather weak, and certainly plays second (or third) fiddle to the special effects.
A decade later, in 1992, Siskel & Ebert reviewed the Director's Cut of Blade Runner. By then, Siskel did pretty much a 180 degree swing on the movie and went to a positive review, but Ebert was again mostly positive on the special effects yet still down on the storyline (and he still mispronounces "replicants"):

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hu9Dbe4soXQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hu9Dbe4soXQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 08-02-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sad to see Siskel's decline towards the end of his life there, around late-'98 to early-'99. In the review for "Urban Legend", for example, with the benefit of hindsight he looks slightly drugged and sluggish.
Old 08-02-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Sad to see Siskel's decline towards the end of his life there, around late-'98 to early-'99.
Yeah, just watched them do Thin Red Line earlier and noticed that. Do want to point out that Ebert's solo review appears to be just slightly above average. Where as in this clip, he praises the film as much as Siskel does. Guess he was showing a lil' bit of sympathy there on camera.
Old 08-02-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to IMDb, the last movies he reviewed were "Message in a Bottle", "My Favorite Martian", "God Said 'HA'", "Blast from the Past", and "Bacheha-Ye Aseman", but if one pulls up those reviews on the site Ebert appears by himself.
Old 08-02-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
A decade later, in 1992, Siskel & Ebert reviewed the Director's Cut of Blade Runner. By then, Siskel did pretty much a 180 degree swing on the movie and went to a positive review, but Ebert was again mostly positive on the special effects yet still down on the storyline (and he still mispronounces "replicants"):
I think you may be mischaracterizing Siskel's "conversion". Seems like he's saying that much hasn't changed, but at least it's fun to see the old actors again.
Old 08-02-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
According to IMDb, the last movies he reviewed were "Message in a Bottle", "My Favorite Martian", "God Said 'HA'", "Blast from the Past", and "Bacheha-Ye Aseman", but if one pulls up those reviews on the site Ebert appears by himself.
At the end of his time on the show --when Siskel was sick, he didn't appear in the balcony and reviewed by audio only.

On the last show Siskel appeared on, they reviewed five new movies. The first was AT FIRST SIGHT. I can't figure out what the other four were.

Last edited by Count Dooku; 08-02-07 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-02-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Oh, I didn't remember that. Given his slurring, stumbling over words, and drawn face (none of which I recall noting at the time), it took a certain amount of courage to continue appearing until the surgery.
Old 08-03-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there a list of the movies that Kevin Smith reviewed while Ebert was out?
Old 08-03-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whitetigeress
Is there a list of the movies that Kevin Smith reviewed while Ebert was out?

I stumbled across a Kevin Smith review when I was browsing. It was for Bridge to Terabithia, so you might be able to look up the movies that came out around the same time as that one.
Old 08-03-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm going to have to make a list of my favorites, and I'll start with

North
Mad Dog Time

Last edited by rabbit77; 08-03-07 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-04-07, 12:47 AM

Anyone know if they're going add reviews going back further than 20 years?
Old 08-04-07, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Thanks for posting this OP! I'm looking forward to checking some of the old reviews out.
Old 08-04-07, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, this site is awesome. It's fun revisiting old reviews that I've never seen (I've been watching the show since the later 90s, so I've missed a ton of gems), and man when Siskel and Ebert went at they really went at it. Great site that I am going to have a lot of fun playing around with. This could be my new you tube.
Old 08-05-07, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
I remember a review, can't remember the title, but it was in the mid-90's. Siskel gave a thumbs down to the movie, but Ebert gave it a thumbs up; Siskel was so shocked at this, that he and Ebert debated it to the point that the latter retracted his thumbs up and changed it to a thumbs down.

Then Siskel tried to get Ebert to look directly into the camera and apologize for giving the thumbs up to that Burt Reynolds movie Cop and a Half (I think Ebert was the only critic that liked that film).
I stumbled upon this review, by the way: it was Broken Arrow. Mixed up the critics thumb directions, though.
Old 08-05-07, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
This site is amazing, been going through it for a few days now and it never gets old (except the members projects and Roeper yelling that some movie sucks). I even like finding reviews for mediocre movies, so much fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.