Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney-branded films to ban depictions of smoking

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-25-07, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070725/...y_smoking_dc_3

1 hour, 30 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co. on Wednesday became the first major Hollywood studio to ban depictions of smoking, saying there would be no smoking in its family-oriented, Disney-branded films and it would "discourage" it in films distributed by its Touchstone and Miramax labels.

Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger also said in a letter to U.S. Rep. Edward Markey, whose committee last month held hearings on the effects of movie images on children, that the studio would place anti-smoking public service announcements on DVDs of any future films that feature cigarette smoking.

He said the company would encourage theater owners to show screen anti-smoking public service announcements, or PSAs, before such films.

Iger cautioned, however, that "cigarette smoking is a unique problem and this PSA effort is not a precedent for any other issue."

Markey described Disney's commitment as "groundbreaking" and urged other studios to follow suit.

Dr. Cheryl Healton, president and CEO of the American Legacy Foundation, commended Disney's move but said the studio left "some ambiguity about what would happen in relation to Touchstone and Miramax."

Research cited by American Legacy, a nonprofit created out of landmark litigation between the tobacco industry and states attorneys general, shows that 90 percent of all films depict smoking and children with the highest exposure to smoking in movies were nearly three times more likely to start smoking.

Tobacco is featured in three-quarters of G, PG and PG-13 rated movies and 90 percent of R-rated movies, the studies showed.

The independent Weinstein Co. already is using PSAs produced by American Legacy ahead of its films that depict smoking, Healton said.

(Reporting by Gina Keating)

Since most depictions of smoking in movies does nothing to enhance the movie, I think this is a great move.

Chris
Old 07-25-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's next, removing any depictions of people eating fast food? Ridiculous.
Old 07-25-07, 02:07 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its fine. Showing people smoke doesn't have anything to do with the movie. If a private company wants to stop showing it, they should. If there's going to be a backlash, the box office will give them the message.
Old 07-25-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

But how will we know who the bad guys are?
Old 07-25-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
I would hope they're not banning the black hats too.
Old 07-25-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thankfully Disney doesn't own "Ghostbusters".
Old 07-25-07, 02:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bhk
Showing people smoke doesn't have anything to do with the movie.
I'm not a big smoking fan myself, but there are people in real life that smoke. If you're creating a character that resembles of those people it would be more authentic to have them smoke. Especially if it's set in the 50s or 60s when smoking was accepted and done everywhere. To do otherwise would be like having gang members who don't cuss, or having a frat party scene where everyone is chugging colas.

Edit: I should note I'm referring to the Touchstone/Miramax titles and not the Disney/Pixar branded ones.

Last edited by DRG; 07-25-07 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 02:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Was there smoking in Ratatouille? I don't think there was. Which is odd, because in France everybody smokes like a chimney...including the rats.
Old 07-25-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is dumb. How about the PSA's for drug use, drinking, unsafe sex, gambling, etc. More crap to fast forward through before the movie starts.
Old 07-25-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To do otherwise would be like having gang members who don't cuss, or having a frat party scene where everyone is chugging colas.
And how many cussing gang members or beer chugging frat parties have we seen in Family oriented Disney films up to this point?
Old 07-25-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
And how many cussing gang members or beer chugging frat parties have we seen in Family oriented Disney films up to this point?
Exactly, I'd be interested to know how many of Disney 'family aimed' movies featured smoking in the last ten years. This is no different to me then hearing Disney say they are putting a ban on graphic sex and violence in their family theme movies.
Old 07-25-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I actually think this is a bit stupid. I guess it makes sense with Disney films though as long as it doesn't spill over into other films.

I wonder what Harvey thinks about this? I guess Silent Bob's going to have to stop smoking.
Old 07-25-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The article says Disney-branded films, the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise included, which could have (and probably should have) some characters smoking.
Old 07-25-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I wonder what Harvey thinks about this? I guess Silent Bob's going to have to stop smoking.
Harvey Weinstein doesn't work for Miramax anymore. He and his brother started The Weinstein Company where they distributed Clerks II.
Old 07-25-07, 05:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I actually think this is a bit stupid. I guess it makes sense with Disney films though as long as it doesn't spill over into other films.

The Weinsteins no longer have any affiliation with Miramax, they've moved on and have started up The Weinstein Company. Clerks II was released through that company, and Kevin Smith has no plans of going back to Disney at the moment (nor does Tarantino, for that matter).
Old 07-25-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jinx
Old 07-25-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts
I guess the news doesn't bother me as long s Disney doesn't go back and remove smoking references in their older titles.

Hopefully their Touchstone and Miramax releases won't be too affected by the decision.

I'm not a fan of smoking and anything that discourages the practice is OK in my book. Of course, if a child starts smoking because he/she saw Captain Jack do it, then they have bigger problems than cigarettes.
Old 07-25-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is everyone just skipping over the first part of the article? :

Walt Disney Co. on Wednesday became the first major Hollywood studio to ban depictions of smoking, saying there would be no smoking in its family-oriented, Disney-branded films and it would "discourage" it in films distributed by its Touchstone and Miramax labels.
--------------------------------------

It doesn't say that they're forcing all movies to stop smoking. Only the family oriented Disney ones that probably wouldn't have had smoking in the first place.
Old 07-25-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
Is everyone just skipping over the first part of the article? :

Walt Disney Co. on Wednesday became the first major Hollywood studio to ban depictions of smoking, saying there would be no smoking in its family-oriented, Disney-branded films and it would "discourage" it in films distributed by its Touchstone and Miramax labels.
--------------------------------------

It doesn't say that they're forcing all movies to stop smoking. Only the family oriented Disney ones that probably wouldn't have had smoking in the first place.
I read that paragraph 3 times and it didn't make sense to me until after I read your post.

Still, I'm not sure I see the point in putting a PSA in front of a film like Gangs of New York discouraging all the kiddies watching from smoking.
Old 07-25-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The Weinsteins no longer have any affiliation with Miramax, they've moved on and have started up The Weinstein Company. Clerks II was released through that company, and Kevin Smith has no plans of going back to Disney at the moment (nor does Tarantino, for that matter).
I had totally forgotten about that. I now remember seeing the Weinstein logo at the beginning of Clerks II. I had a lapse of memory I guess. I recently purchased the Clerks X DVD and I had just remembered Kevin working for Miramax.
Old 07-25-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
And to quote Stephen Colbert: "How will we know who the cool characters are now?"
Old 07-25-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Party at Cameron Spencer Osborne's!
Old 07-25-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is nonsense! I think more kids are influenced by fighting in movies than smoking in movies. What little boy doesn't pretend he is Spiderman and falls down and hurts himself? Although I believe it does happen, kids smoking due to movies is FAR LESS!! So let's take out fight scenes!
Old 07-26-07, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'm not a fan of smoking and anything that discourages the practice is OK in my book.
Executions would clearly discourage smoking. Short of that, we could do all kinds of things, like: take away their driver's licenses; not allow them to have health insurance coverage; put them in jail; take away their children, or confiscate their property. Or did you not really mean "anything?"
Old 07-26-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It might not seem like a big deal, but this is just another small step in the war to police everything that goes into a film. I'm not a smoker, but I realize there are people that smoke and that's their decision to make, not mine or a film's. If someone is that weak-minded that a film will influence them to smoke then enjoy being a mindless dolt, it doesn't bother me. I don't need to see people smoking in films, but it's going to seem pretty ridiculous when I see a character in a Disney/Miramax film that you know would be a smoker and instead they're chewing gum or sucking a lollipop.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.