Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

actors/actresses who could have been great but squandered their potential

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

actors/actresses who could have been great but squandered their potential

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I nominate Michael Pare.
Old 07-24-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Legolas
Mira Sorvino. Oscar-winner who recently did a made-for-TV movie with Stephen Dorff and the DVD cover tries to rip off The Bourne Identity cover as well as try to make Dorff look like Jack Bauer.

Charlie Sheen. Squandered his Platoon/Wall Street cred.
Charlie Sheen was the first that came to my mind too. It seems like the "high life" may have contributed to his downfall. Still he has recovered to a nice, safe career, if not the high, leading man route that looked to be his when he burst on the scene. Now I don't think Charlie Sheen was/is all that talented, but he had the road all laid out for him, like Legolas said.

Now Mira Sorvino, I propose, was lucky as hell to meet Woody Allen when she did and has settled in right where she belongs.

Marlon Brando was an interesting nomination, and certainly I would agree. His eccentricities cost him, and us, dearly. By the same token, they may have been what made him the actor that he was - so maybe it's a double edged sword.

I would have liked to see more from Daniel Day Lewis, to name a current actor that I think is great. It's not that he has squandered his potential, but by limiting his output so greatly, I get the feeling we missed out. Who knows...maybe more familiarity would have bred....Ben Stiller?
Old 07-24-07, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
I nominate Michael Pare.
He had a great start, last I saw of him was him picking up his kids at their school in Amsterdam a few years ago, big difference when I saw him at a video store in the late 80's in Pacific Palisades not long after the Philadelphia Experiment came out on video.
Old 07-25-07, 02:31 AM

Cuba Gooding, Jr.

He's now been reduced to making sequels to bad Eddie Murphy movies after playing the humorless heavy in another bad Eddie Murphy movie.
Old 07-25-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
Cuba Gooding, Jr.

He's now been reduced to making sequels to bad Eddie Murphy movies after playing the humorless heavy in another bad Eddie Murphy movie.
hey, let's not forget the haynes t-shirt commercials he is in with michael jordan ...

Old 07-25-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Wesley Snipes is definitely another good suggestion. I have to wonder if he was blacklisted?
Always bet on blacklisted!

I'm gonna go ahead and put LiLo on this list. The most entertaining thing she could do now is to pull a River Phoenix while wearing no panties.
Old 07-26-07, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
The Coreys

Corey Feldman and Corey Haim were on top of the world and things were looking bright for them after movies like Stand By Me, Lucas, & Lost Boys. Then it went down hill fast. I'd say they are the poster boys for squandered potential. Especially Feldman after his performance in Stand By Me.