DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Simpsons Movie box office predictions (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/507032-simpsons-movie-box-office-predictions.html)

hapgilmore 07-21-07 02:50 PM

The Simpsons Movie box office predictions

Last year I started a Snakes on a Plane box office predictions thread because I felt it would be very difficult to guess how much money it would make opening weekend. I think The Simpsons Movie is also going to be hard to predict so feel free to post your guesstimations on the opening weekend and/or total box office. I say 45 mil for the weekend and 130 mil overall.

DonnachaOne 07-21-07 02:53 PM

It'll be huge. I've already presold a ton of tickets.

Deftones 07-21-07 03:26 PM

I would say, probably a $60 million dollar weekend. It'll break a $100 million, which should justify the show living on via movies should it ever go off television.

nateman 07-21-07 04:09 PM

$60 million + without a doubt, and even through it's not the most watched TV show in primetime anymore (never has been) it's extremely popular & even people who have never seen the show will probally go and see The Simpsons: Movie based on The Simpsons name alone. Can't wait ti'll it's released on DVD (don't go to theaters anymore) & I hope it's not a huge letdown, like the past 8 seasons.
I would have preferred if The Simpsons: Movie was made after the TV show ended, but since their is probally no end in sight I understand why they are finally releasing it. I personally think it's about 8/9 seasons too late & it should have been ideally made when The Simpsons was still the mecca of Television.
Like DonnachaOne said, It'll be HUGE.

eedoon 07-21-07 04:15 PM

I'm guessing... some 100 million give or take.

Bandit03 07-21-07 04:51 PM

60+ million without a doubt. Lots of people have been waiting for this movie for a long time.

silentbob007 07-21-07 04:53 PM

I'd guess closer to 40 million opening weekend

islandclaws 07-21-07 05:11 PM

I'm thinking about $47 mil. It's a HUGE show, no question, but a lot of people that still love it miss the old heydays and that could be enough to keep them away from the theater waiting for the DVD. But not me. I'll be there opening weekend.

wm lopez 07-21-07 05:21 PM

Did anyone hear when they announced that a SIMPSONS movie was coming out that it was going to be done like the cartoons from PIXAR?
I read it in USA TODAY or ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY I'm sure .
But after seeing the trailers it's just like the t.v. cartoon.

Brent L 07-21-07 05:22 PM

One of the biggest things going for this flick is that there will more than likely be a ton of people out there who not only watch this once in the theater, but will go back two, three, or more times, depending on the quality of the final product. Heck, I'm a huge Simpsons fan, so I just might watch it more than once myself, again depending on just how good it ends up being.

It'll be a huge, huge hit, no doubt.

Groucho 07-21-07 05:32 PM

Poll aims much much too low. $60million+ easily

Seantn 07-21-07 05:43 PM

But after seeing the trailers it's just like the t.v. cartoon.
No, it's not just like the tv cartoon. I saw the trailer on my friend's high definition tv, and the animation appears to be done a little differently. Some scenes, such as Smithers in Mr. Burns office, appear to look almost 3-D, like there are layers to the animation that are clearly visible. It looked weird, but not necessarily in a bad way. Just different than the normal Simpsons.

d2cheer 07-21-07 05:59 PM

My kids are more excited to see this than any movie this summer and we have seen the major ones. I think it will do over 60+ easy.

TheNightFlier 07-21-07 07:57 PM

I'm thinking over 60+

The Bus 07-21-07 08:33 PM

I'm guessing it won't do as well and will do somewhere around $29MM. But there is a LOT of promotion going for it. I hope I'm proved wrong.

chris_sc77 07-21-07 08:42 PM

I am gonna go ahead and say that this is gonna end up as the #2 animated film of the year. (2nd to Shrek, although in a perfect world this would outgross Shrek)
1st 3 days= 82.2 million
Overall U.S.= 244 million

Also on a side not it sucks that they are going to be putting on the Horton Hears a Who and the Alvin & the Chipmunks trailers on the Simpsons movie.
I was hoping to see some good trailers on the Simpsons Movie. Oh well hopefully the Batman trailer will be on it like rumoured.

Bluelitespecial 07-21-07 08:51 PM

over 60 million easily, its one of the last big movies of the summer.

Jericho 07-21-07 09:43 PM

Well I'll be the voice of dissent. I don't see this movie being that big. I know that the Simpsons are big on the internet and with people on this forum. And I'm one of those many fans. But I look at a show that was never that popular (outside it's short first season) and has been widely criticized by many for a drop in quality in recent years. I look at South Park and see how little it made in theaters.

Granted the South Park analogy isn't a great one. It was a cable show that went for a hard "R" rating and wasn't as well know as the Simpsons. But it does help show the disparity of what's hot on the Internet (also Snakes on a Plane), but not hot with the general public.

I don't see the Simpsons doing the huge figures listed in this thread, something even Pixar's movie didn't do this year. I'm guessing around $20 million-$25 million, since I'm sure there's a decent built in fan base out there for opening weekend.

Of course, I'm just speculating, I could be way off.

Groucho 07-21-07 09:46 PM

Did "Snakes on the Plane" have a 7/11 tie-in and commercials every five seconds on every network?

Rogue588 07-21-07 09:47 PM

As much as I hope i'm wrong, I agree with Jericho.

Groucho 07-21-07 09:50 PM

Hope you guys save up a good appetite for next weekend:

JohnDoeUSA 07-21-07 09:51 PM

I think the Movie will go pretty big in the first Weekend and will have small legs to carry it for a month or so. Simpsons are Icons and this movie will pull in a lot of different groups of movie watchers.

I voted $60+ but it may only do $40 to $50. I think $200 to $250 for domestic gross is within reach.

Should be interesting to watch!

Brent L 07-21-07 09:54 PM

Everyone I know and talk to, both online and in "real life", is talking about this movie. My nieces and nephews, my parents, my cousin, all of my friends no matter their age. I'm not expecting everyone to go see it, but I think it's a safe bet that it'll make far more than $20 million at the box office opening weekend.

EdTheRipper 07-21-07 09:57 PM

I hope it opens huge because it's the last movie in my Fantasy Moguls studio,lol.

movieking 07-21-07 10:08 PM

Wow, I am surprised by all of the high estimates. Before reading this thread, I was thinking about $27-$30M, but now I am starting to think that it is probably too low.