Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Simpsons Movie"...the (Kwik-E-Mart) reviews thread.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-19-07, 08:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I got to say, I am not a Simpsons fan persay, but damn if the trailers don't make this thing look funny.

no official reviews as of yet...http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/simpsons_the_movie/

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-19-07 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Please delete thread. Thanks.
Old 07-19-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The film isn't being screened for critics until NEXT Thursday night.
Old 07-19-07, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The film isn't being screened for critics until NEXT Thursday night.
uh oh. that might not be a good sign.
Old 07-19-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
uh oh. that might not be a good sign.
No, it's a sign. It's not new news that Fox has been giving the middle finger to pretty much any outside form of publicity (a.k.a. critics, the news media, and now ComicCon).
Old 07-24-07, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone on another forum (neogaf.com) saw it. sorry if the spoilers dont flow well, they have a diff spoil system

here is the review
Alright guys, I just came back from seeing the movie. As mentioned earlier, I was able to get a ticket to see it with a bunch of other fellas who review movies down here in Australia.

I'll get it out first: This is the plot for you who don't care:
Spoiler:

- Homer befriends pig after finding him at a Krusty Burger, then being there after the skateboard scene.
- Homer fills 'Pig crap' silo, dumps it in river, making Springfield so polluted that the Goverment steps in.
- Brooks' character is some power hungry millionaire in charge of keeping America clean, who gets President Schwarzenegger [It's not Wolfcastle in a skit, it's meant to be Arnold] to contain Springfield in a bubble.
- Town finds out Homer is responsible, go to kill him, they escape from town via a hole in the ground.
- Flee to Alaska.
- Find that since the Bubble wasn't working, plan to just Nuke the town instead. Homer wants to stay, Marge leaves to save the town.
- Homer gets his senses and goes after them.
- Homer saves town by using a Motorcycle to drive around the inside of the dome and throw the bomb out an opening at the very top.

Now my thoughts:

Now I'm one of those guys who hasn't liked a hell of a lot of the show since Season 9-10, like a lot of people here. To sum it up in one word, this movie was just boring. There is a point in the movie where
Spoiler:
The Fox news ticker pops up at the bottom out of nowhere, and despite getting a laugh from me, it felt like it was thrown in there purely because the rest of the scene was sleep worthy.

The Skateboard scene was pretty cool.. but it lasts about a minute..
Spoiler:
Actually shows Barts dick for a second in a well done 'hiding' scene
which was pretty crazy for them to do and I applaud them for taking it that one step further. But at the same time,
Spoiler:
The opening Itchy & Scratchy sketch had no blood whatsoever, which was pretty conservative
, why do one and not the other?

The animation was all over the place too, some places it looks very nice and clean, and some times you get some low quality animation, and even some points where the mouth flaps differ to what's being said [Happens in the normal show since they're changing jokes close to release, if they're doing that in a big film version, somethings not going well ]

In the middle of the film
Spoiler:
A bunch of animals jump into their Alaskan cabin and do a Cinderella / Snow White routine, and they're all animated in a different style.
It's animated well, but is just really out of place.

Brooks' character attempted to pull off some Hank Scorpio moments, but fell flat. The two Schwarzenegger momenents wern't to hot either. As a fan it's one of those moments where you really can't laugh at it. "Oh, it looks like McBain because he was a ripoff of Schwarzenegger.. but why is Arnold President? Ah well, whatever."

The Bart/Flanders plot wasn't funny at all and doesn't go anywhere. It doesn't even make sense. Lisa's entire story is that
Spoiler:
She finds some Irish kid who essentially is a young Bono-like character who she swoons for. You see it at the start, and is only mentioned because he's the reason Lisa wants to go back to Springfield.
We've seen this kind of character pop up several times in the show. Pig
Spoiler:
is never mentioned again after half way through the film

Marge is very boring in the movie. The movie actually takes a incredibly weird turn for a second where
Spoiler:
She leaves a video for Homer telling him she's left to go back to Springfield. It sounds incredibly serious and it's just a weird moment.

Again, it was just.. boring. Nothing laugh out loud funny in the whole film. I don't even think it would get many laughs in a full cinema.

3 1/2 pocket hotdogs out of 10.

:\
and two more reviews

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Stor...133231,00.html

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle2118613.ece
Old 07-24-07, 05:17 PM

Own seasons 1-9 on DVD...the movie previews look pretty bad.
Old 07-24-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Other than that one review from some guy from neogaf, every single review I've seen for this flick has been positive. Here's two more positive ones:

http://www.urbancinefile.com.au/home...3338&s=Reviews

http://www.samoviemag.co.za/reviews/simpsons.html

And from that last link:

(Note: it is worth sitting through all the title credits. Don't just rush out of the cinema.)
Old 07-24-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the mods made a limit on how early we could start review threads? We might as well just start the Bourne and Rush Hour 3 review threads too.
Old 07-24-07, 06:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
I thought the mods made a limit on how early we could start review threads? We might as well just start the Bourne and Rush Hour 3 review threads too.
Who cares as long as there are reviews?
Old 07-24-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you read the first post? There were no reviews when the thread was made. No screenings were even happening for another week.
Old 07-24-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Also if you are making a movie review thread, could you stop putting quotation marks around the movie title. It makes searching the thread really difficult.
Old 07-24-07, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On The Tonight Show they just had a short animated opening, with Homer doing Jay Leno's monologue. After a minute or two the animated Leno came out, told Homer to leave, and Homer said there was a mistake with the fruit basket in the back, and by mistake he said that it was full of fruit instead of cookies.
Old 07-24-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm seeing this tomorrow night so I'll give you my thoughts then. Here's hoping its good.
Old 07-25-07, 03:47 PM

now, back to the reviews...

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-25-07 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 03:51 PM
Banned

100 percent with 7 reviews

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/simp...ovie/?show=all
Old 07-25-07, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by JPRaup
i'm interested in seeing it, eventhough i don't think i have ever seen a full episode. is that wrong?
Old 07-25-07, 03:53 PM
Banned

I'm in the same boat. I'd go see it if friends were interested.
Old 07-25-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
You must forgive scot1598, as from what I've seen he is desperate to start threads about popular subjects and be "first"--even if he has nothing at all to contribute.

That spoiler-filled review near the top...if that's accurate, it just confirmed my suspicions that I won't like the movie, seeing as how it sounds more in line with current seasons than old ones (ie, seasons 1 through 9). Shame too, since many of the classic writers were onboard. Guess I'll wait for the DVD.
Old 07-25-07, 05:42 PM
Banned

Is it just me or is this SLANT mag reviewer looking a bit too far into the movie?

"These bold yellow characters continue to verify our strength as people, families, and a nation, and their agelessness continues to stress that their journey, like ours, is an eternal act of learning."

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/...=1&rid=1655571
Old 07-25-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JPRaup
Is it just me or is this SLANT mag reviewer looking a bit too far into the movie?

"These bold yellow characters continue to verify our strength as people, families, and a nation, and their agelessness continues to stress that their journey, like ours, is an eternal act of learning."

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/...=1&rid=1655571
It's Slant. Like Salon and The Village Voice, they've never met a movie they couldn't wrap up in pretentious babble.
Old 07-25-07, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Assuming there are enough titles this year, you know its a lock for a 'Best Animated' Oscar. Imagine: Academy Award winner, 'The Simpsons'.
Old 07-26-07, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Brad Bird and the critically hailed "Ratatouille" would have to disagree with you there.
Old 07-26-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CharlieK
Assuming there are enough titles this year, you know its a lock for a 'Best Animated' Oscar. Imagine: Academy Award winner, 'The Simpsons'.
Love "The Simpsons", but not a chance. A nomination? Probably.
Old 07-26-07, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, The Simpsons could nab a nomination, but most likely not a win. Critics are favourable about the film, but went gaga over Ratatouille, which also has the advantage of coming from the most respected studio currently in animation. By tonight I'll have seen both so I'll be able to give better insight then.

Last edited by hardercore; 07-26-07 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-26-07, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The good reviews are just getting me more excited for midnight.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.