Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Skinwalkers - any reviews? comments?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-18-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this comes out Friday, but thought maybe someone had seen a preview of it. I'm not sure a vampire film from the maker of Jason X should be pg-13, and I know that pretty much means it is going to suck. So, if anyone has seen it, please post your thoughts.
Old 07-19-07, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was made about 2 years ago and is now being dumped into theaters with a PG-13 (and it's the guy who directed Jason X). I'm guessing it'll suck.
Old 07-19-07, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WOW....so because James Isaac directed JasonX means this movie will suck?
If I'm not mistaken, JasonX did pretty damn well in earnings in both box office and DVD...couldn't have sucked that bad.And because it is "PG-13" means it will pretty much suck? You guys don't give much chance do you even though you have yet to see it.
I will agree a "PG-13" sucks for the nature of the film but you all know damn well there will be a directors cut or similar unrated that will include "R" cuts and DVD is where the money is anyway.
I'm looking forward to seeing it myself.I could really care less what the rating is so long as it's a good movie.

btw... James Isaac didn't 'make' JasonX.That would be Todd Farmer ( who was also in the movie who looked like Stone Cold Steve Austin )
Also, it's not a vampire film.It's about werewolves

Last edited by VHS?; 07-19-07 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-19-07, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I'm not mistaken, JasonX did pretty damn well in earnings in both box office and DVD
So good box office=good movie? That's pretty dumb logic.

But hey, you're right, $12 million for a studio release is a box office success.

Oh wait, it's not. It was the lowest grossing Friday the 13th film ever....

I'm sure the DVD did fine, though.

But the movie sucked. And I do place part of the blame on him.
Old 07-19-07, 03:38 AM

I'll check it out if there's nothing else in the theatres or if i've already seen everything else out there.
Old 07-19-07, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never said it made it good.I just said it couldn't have been all that bad with the money it earned.It cost roughly $13,500,000 to make and opening weekend it made half that at $6,649,006 . Worldwide Gross was $16,910,731 so it made it's money back in theaters at least.I cant find figures for DVD but seeing as they made a 2-pack with Jason Goes To Hell which did good for sales they probably did very well there.

My point really is I always see people put a movie down because a director did this movie or that and so without even seeing it they judge it.
There are many directors that make shit films but also have good ones.If I were to judge a movie off a few movies that sucked I would probably lose out on some good films.
I'm not saying Skinwalkers is going to be a smash hit.I'm just saying you cant say it will probably suck because of the guy behind the camera and his past works.

btw... Todd Farmer has gone on record as saying he was the reason Jason X didn't do so well.Though you cant see that interview anymore since the F13 site is no longer.Besides, Jim Isaac directed House IV ( aka The Horror Show ) which was a good flick even though it was the 'Halloween 3' of the House series.
Old 07-19-07, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never said it made it good.I just said it couldn't have been all that bad with the money it earned.It cost roughly $13,500,000 to make and opening weekend it made half that at $6,649,006 . Worldwide Gross was $16,910,731 so it made it's money back in theaters at least.I cant find figures for DVD but seeing as they made a 2-pack with Jason Goes To Hell which did good for sales they probably did very well there.
Again, what's your point? This is not relevant. A movie barely breaking even doesn't mean it's good or bad. The topic of the thread was "Skinwalkers - any reviews? comments?".

Well, I gave my "comments". It appears that you, for some reason, took them personally.

Not sure why I have to break this down for you, but...

-I saw the Skinwalkers trailer.
-I thought it looked very crappy and uninteresting.
-I disliked the directors previous work and also think his upcoming movie looks crappy (I thought Jim Issac did a poor directing job on Jason X. Yes, it was a crappy script, but I thought the film was poorly done on levels other than the script)
-I made a comment in a thread asking for comments.

Now unless I see the movie and actually have an opinion of the film itself, I have nothing else to add to this. I am allowed to comment on my initial impressions, though. If Transformers fans and Die Hard fans can do it months in advance of those films releases, I can do it here.

If you bring up any other stuff about Jason X's box office or other things that don't matter, I won't be responding.

Last edited by Seantn; 07-19-07 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-19-07, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You said BECAUSE the director of Jason X was directing this, it was going to be crap.Thats not really an opinion.Your trying to state fact in your opinion.
I wasn't trying to justify anything, just saying how can one judge without seeing the entire thing.A trailer ain't shit.

Like I said, I could give two shits who directs what so long as a movie is good.It's like if you made a mistake then everyone from that point on always assumed you would always make mistakes.
Old 07-19-07, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since you're mis-quoting me, I'll respond to that....

Quote where I stated it as fact. I'd like to see it.

I said
It was made about 2 years ago and is now being dumped into theaters with a PG-13 (and it's the guy who directed Jason X). I'm guessing it'll suck.
Is that stating it as fact? I gave 3 reasons why I, myself, was guessing it would suck. I can understand why you'd be mad if I simply showed up and yelled "Looks shitty!". I didn't do that. I have provided reasons for my opinion.

VHS, it seems like you want to argue.

Last edited by Seantn; 07-19-07 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-19-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't want to argue at all.I'm just trying to understand why people hate on films they have never seen judging from trailers and directors connected to them.Makes no sense at all really.It may be opinion but how can one make an opinion on something they have seen and know very little of

I do apologize though for mis quoting... it was achau9598 that said it was pretty much going to suck.Seeing as you both sorta agreed upon that I figured the statements were close enough.

I will be watching it though not for who is directing it.Not for who is in it.But for the fact that it looks like an interesting horror flick.Who knows.It may or may not suck but I will will save judgment until I see it.
Old 07-20-07, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love it how people here are trashing Jason X. Especially since I thought it was light years better than that piece of fucking shit known as Freddy vs. Jason who was directed by an even bigger fucking hack.

Jim Isaac did the best he could with the material he was given with for Jason X. It was fun, breezy entertainment that I enjoyed.

Of course, I'll wait for the unrated DVD for Skinwalkers. Maybe when Courtney Solomon (another fucking hack speaking of which) gives me my money back for that craptastic Horrorfest.
Old 07-20-07, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I love it how people here are trashing Jason X. Especially since I thought it was light years better than that piece of fucking shit known as Freddy vs. Jason who was directed by an even bigger fucking hack.

Jim Isaac did the best he could with the material he was given with for Jason X. It was fun, breezy entertainment that I enjoyed.
I didn't like either, but I do agree that Freddy vs. Jason somehow managed to actually be much worse. Go figure! I thought I was alone on that, but, more and more, I'm finding people who share my hatred of that film.

I haven't seen Skinwalkers yet, but I'm sure I'll see it sometime on DVD.
Old 07-20-07, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoyed JasonX as well and thought it was even much better than a few other Friday flicks.I feel Jim did his best also with what he was given.I think he will do the same here.
It's not often we get a good werewolf only movie.Seems they always have to stick in vampires and they are the lead.
With all the crap out there today, how can this be any worse, right?
Old 07-20-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, I didnt know this was from the same guy who did Jason X. I definitely want to see it now. It looks like the kind of cheesy action/horror crap that I usually enjoy, but I will still probably wait for the dvd (unrated).
Old 07-20-07, 02:13 PM
Banned

Jason X better than Freddy vs Jason?!? Thats fucking laughable. After the 3rd entries in BOTH film series, FVJ is the only one worth watching, let alone owning. Of course, that's all IMNSHO.

But Jason X did lick big greezy balls.
Old 07-20-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked Jason X for what it was. It was a fun movie, with over the top kills. Nothing ground breaking, but a fun movie. I would still like to see a return to traditional Friday the 13th films though.

I also liked Freddy vs. Jason.
Old 07-20-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ok, so the movie came out today ... anyone seen it? comments?
Old 07-21-07, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, it didn't come out today.

7/27/07
Old 07-21-07, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Scratch that - It was just bumped to an August 10th release date.