Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Eastern Promises — (Cronenberg, 2007)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Eastern Promises — (Cronenberg, 2007)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Analysis on EP
Warning: Contains spoilers

http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/?p=1412
Old 01-18-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overrated.
Old 01-18-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by OutRun2
Hey Dave! Ya made a good film but where's the rest of it?

I was sitting here, compelled by this story and it definitely had a firm grip on me until all of sudden the credits roll. So many things are left unresolved.

What eventually happened to Semyon? Was he ever charged or arrested for raping Tatiana? Or was he killed by Nikolai?

What became of Nikolai? Did he take over Semyon's role as head of the Vory?

Why did Semyon have Nikolai set up?

Did we ever find out that Kirill was really gay?

So many questions so little answers. I actually wonder if Cronenberg is planning a sequel. He certainly left the ending open for one.

Good movie ruined by an extremely unresolved ending.
1. Semyon was taken out of the picture by authorities. I thought Nikolai made that very clear when talking to his chief. Nikolai didn't need to kill him.

2. Nikolai obviously has taken over based on where he was sitting at the end. Kirill has either been killed or arrested. That scene takes place almost a year after the scene with Naomi, Kirill and Nikolai at the water front.

3. Semyon had Nikolai set up because the Chechyens wanted to kill his son, Kirill. Well, they didn't know what Kirill looked like so they gave Nikolai his stars so that when he went to the bathhouse Aziz could tell them that he was Kirill since he had the stars Kirill also had.

4. You don't find out he's gay, but it's implied enough that you can assume he was either killed for it or was forced out by Nikolai because of it.

I went to screening of Eastern Promises and Cronenberg did a q&a afterwards. He said he'd love to do a sequel, but since the film didn't make $100m you shouldn't hold your breath, but he also said never say never.

Last edited by islandclaws; 01-18-08 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-31-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I liked it very much, despite the non-ending. It's one of those movies that stays with you.

More Cronenberg/Mortensen collaborations! They're 2 for 2!
Old 01-31-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So this Cronenberg fellow isn't high on subtlety is he? Both History of Violence and now this. I can recall several scenes in Easter Promises that could have worked just as effectively sans the excessive violence.

Not a bad flick, not good either.
Old 01-31-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^excessive violence? have you ever seen a cronenberg movie other than the 2 you mentioned?
Old 01-31-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
So this Cronenberg fellow isn't high on subtlety is he? Both History of Violence and now this. I can recall several scenes in Easter Promises that could have worked just as effectively sans the excessive violence.

That's his "thing". Graphic violence has been a Cronenberg staple throughout his entire career ... in fact, some would even argue he's toned it down significantly for his more recent films. It's like complaining about the shaky camera in a Greengrass picture.
Old 01-31-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
^excessive violence? have you ever seen a cronenberg movie other than the 2 you mentioned?
Obviously not.
Old 01-31-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker

LOL - "this Cronenberg fellow.."

He's been making films for 30 plus years.
Old 03-02-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was a little slow in getting to "Eastern Promises" for two reasons...primarily because I couldn't find a satisfactory price when it was first released on DVD and second because "A History of Violence" didn't impress me nearly as much as it did most others.

With that out of the way, "Eastern Promises" was a very pleasant surprise and I easily preferred it over "A History of Violence". Reading through I see that some were not too fond of the abrupt ending, as for myself I thought the ending worked just fine. Viggo Mortensen and Armin Mueller-Stahl were solid in their respective roles. I'd be real interested in seeing a continuation of the story...aka a sequel.
Old 03-02-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by hardercore
That's his "thing". Graphic violence has been a Cronenberg staple throughout his entire career ... in fact, some would even argue he's toned it down significantly for his more recent films. It's like complaining about the shaky camera in a Greengrass picture.
"You don't just get sliced in a Cronenberg film, you get carved"
Old 03-30-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Eastern Promises — (Cronenberg, 2007)

bump for a sequel.

MTV News spoke to director David Cronenberg (The Fly, A History of Violence), who revealed that he is thinking of making a sequel to the 2007 "Easter Promises" film, which stars Viggo Mortensen as a Russian gangster named Nikolai.

"It's the first time I've ever been in a situation where I actually want to do a sequel to something," he admitted. "I've never had the desire to do that before. But in this case, I thought we had unfinished business with those characters. I didn't feel that we had finished with Nikolai and we had done a lot of research that was more than we could stuff into that one movie."

Cronenberg added that many of original people are returning for the sequel, including himself, writer Steven Knight, producer Paul Webster, Focus Features and Mortensen, who received a Best Actor Oscar nomination for his role.

"We are moving forward with it. We all are excited about the idea of doing a sequel," said Cronenberg. "We are going to have a meeting very soon between me, Steve Knight and Paul Webster to discuss what the script would be. I have some very strong ideas about what I would like to see, but I would like to hear what they have to say as well. And then after that, if all goes well, Steve goes away and writes a great script. If we all like it, we make it."
I really liked EP so I'm excited for this.
Old 03-30-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, I'm very surprised to read about Cronenberg doing any kind of sequel. I really, really liked EP so this is good news. I attended a q&a with him at the Arclight after this film and he expressed interest in continuing with the characters. Glad to hear it might happen.
Old 03-30-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is good news.

I can see a terrific movie coming out of Viggo being the 'man behind the man' for Vincent, the new family boss. The way the whole thing goes down.
Old 03-30-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^It's nice to see someone doing a sequel for the right reasons, which is rare these days. I wasn't in the States when it was released but I'm assuming it wasn't a big hit at the box office. If I'm correct with that assumption that's awesome that he's willing to do a sequel for the love of the characters and not for an easy payout. I'll be there, can't wait.
Old 03-30-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting news - this could be the very rare sequel that doesn't suck. LickTheABC's, you might want to start a new thread.
Old 03-30-09, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Easter Promises?

Now that would be interesting.

= J
Old 03-30-09, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I liked the first so I'd definitely see a sequel.
Old 03-30-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so is he still doing that movie with tom cruise and denzel?
Old 03-30-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I created a new thread for the sequel:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ronenberg.html
Old 03-30-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Not too excited about a sequel. I thought Eastern Promises was decent but far too predictable. I felt A History Of Violence was much better (too bad the BD is apparently crap). I'd rather he tackle a new subject but with the same cast and crew.
Old 02-17-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Saw it again last night and it is still as good as when I first saw it in the movies. The performances from Vincent Cassel, Naomi Watts & Armin Mueller-Stahl are all good but it is Viggo Mortensen who steals the show with his thick Russian accent and jailhouse tattoos. Cronenberg does it again.

4.5/5