Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Did anybody ever see "The Hoax" w/Richard Gere?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462338/

It came out about three months ago but I don't think it received a very widespread theatrical release and I don't think it appeared at any of my local theaters. It has a score of an 85 at RT and a 70 at Metacritic, though, and my dad emailed me a link where his favorite movie reviewer (David Ansen, if anybody knows him?) enjoyed the film.

Anybody see it? Thoughts?
Old 07-08-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
This one sure disappeared fast - I remember hearing about it and then it just vanished.
Old 07-08-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although I do not personally have the time to do into any sort of in-depth review of the movie, suffice it to say it was a rather well done film.

To tell the truth, it is one of the more enjoyable experiences I have had the pleasure of viewing in theaters this year (the number, thus far, being at forty-six).

I would, without question, recommend it to anyone.
Old 07-08-07, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As one of the two or three people who saw it I thought it was one of the best films of the year so far. Gere, whom I don't generally love, was perfect for the role and should get Oscar consideration (but he won't).

Sad that a film so good got so lost.
Old 07-09-07, 01:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, a crime if this film doesn't get a Best Picture nomination. Don't know why it disappeared so quickly. It was my g/f and my first date movie--and she actually got into it and sat through it, even though it isn't a chick flick!

Gere's best role to date. Alfred Molina is also very good, as is Hope Davis (as always). My leader in the Oscar race so far.
Old 07-09-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I wonder if anyone saw the original thread for The Hoax.

The movie is still in my top ten for the year. Alfred Molina deserves a BSA nomination from the Academy, in my opinion.
Old 07-09-07, 03:27 PM

I used the forum's search feature but apparently it doesn't work very well because nothing came up?
Old 07-09-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wilky61
I used the forum's search feature but apparently it doesn't work very well because nothing came up?
Probably the case. I always search by title since that seems to be more accurate.
Old 07-09-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I wonder if anyone saw the original thread for The Hoax.
Snopes says the original thread is a hoax.
Old 07-09-07, 07:17 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
I wanted to see this, they had it at the theater by me at school. But it was gone after a week.
Old 07-09-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i remember hearing about it and being interested in it, but not sure it made it to theaters around me...
Old 07-10-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved the movie. Definitely worth a rental.
Old 07-10-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I missed it when it was in theaters in Atlanta (for no more than the required two week run, I'm sure) but will definitely rent this. I am old enough to remember when this was going on (I was 12 or so) and it was all over the news for weeks (maybe months).

Anyone who is interested in this should check out Orson Welles's "F for Fake". It doesn't focus exclusively (or even primarily) on Irving but there is a good bit of discussion of the fake autobiography. Also the extras feature some more recent interviews with Irving. The movie is delightful on its own in any case.
Old 07-10-07, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
I missed it when it was in theaters in Atlanta (for no more than the required two week run, I'm sure) but will definitely rent this. I am old enough to remember when this was going on (I was 12 or so) and it was all over the news for weeks (maybe months).

Anyone who is interested in this should check out Orson Welles's "F for Fake". It doesn't focus exclusively (or even primarily) on Irving but there is a good bit of discussion of the fake autobiography. Also the extras feature some more recent interviews with Irving. The movie is delightful on its own in any case.
Hmm, I live in Atlanta (Georgia Tech when the movie came out in April, Gwinnett County for the summer). I never saw it playing at the Regal at Atlantic Station, though.
Old 07-10-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was great and one of Gere's best roles to date...there were a few beats in the last act with Malina that I didn't care for, but other than that, it's a pretty great movie. I'll be buying the blu-ray for sure.
Old 07-11-07, 08:43 AM
Banned

Very good. one of my fav from 2007 so far