DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Big Lebowski sequel (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/505789-big-lebowski-sequel.html)

Brain Stew 04-29-03 04:24 PM

Do you think the Coens could create a Big Lebowski sequel?

I know, I know, the general consensus is that sequels are never as good as the original, but I really love this movie. I think with the recent action in Iraq, setting the sequel in the present would provide a great followup. Oh well, I am sure it will never be made or even thought of due to poor box office, but I can always dream :).

Groucho 04-29-03 04:25 PM

They could, but they shouldn't. And won't.

B.A. 04-29-03 04:26 PM

But then John Goodman won't be able to constantly say, "Shut the ****up, Donnie. You're out of your element."

Brain Stew 04-29-03 04:28 PM

C'mon, imagine how funny it would be!

jaeufraser 04-29-03 04:59 PM

The first is a classic. Would I be for a sequel? There's only one way...and that's if the Coen brothers wanted to make one. And seeing as they've never made a sequel nor expressed interest in making one, it's kinda a moot point. Anyway, I suppose I don't really need a sequel to one of the most rewatchable movies around. Why make another when watching the original over and over pleases me to no end.

slop101 04-29-03 05:09 PM

If it was a prequel, you could still have Donnie.

I doubt the Coens would want to revist these characters. They said everything that needed to be said about them in one movie which was so near perfection that another is not even necessary. I'd rather they spend their time on something more original.

Hokeyboy 04-29-03 05:51 PM

No prequels. No sequels. And the Coen Bros. wouldn't do it, anyhow.

If they were to further explore these characters, I say make it an animated series on HBO, get the voice talent and a top-notch writing team, have the CoBros supervise.

Or better yet, just leave the whole thing alone and savor the great movie that it is.

Jackskeleton 04-29-03 06:15 PM

Why do something if it shouldn't be done to begin with?

sherm42 04-29-03 07:00 PM

They should set it during the second Gulf War with the real Saddam making an appearance. Hell, add the Information Minister and you could actually surpass the first one.

thematahara 07-08-07 01:10 PM

Big Lebowski sequel

Was reading the latest ESPN the magazine, and Dan Patrick interviews John Turturro, in the interview he mentions that the Coen Bros. are working on a possible sequel to the Big Lebowski.

Great news if it comes true.

Fincher Fan 07-08-07 01:11 PM

Chalk me up for that! Love the original!

Groucho 07-08-07 02:40 PM

I loved the first one, so why mess with a good thing?

Drop 07-08-07 03:13 PM

I wonder if it would be another detective type story.

If they feel they can make a proper, creatively inspired sequel, then I'm all for it.

HE Pennypacker 07-08-07 04:40 PM

GREATEST film news evAr!

CKMorpheus 07-08-07 07:30 PM

If done right, it would be righteous!

Only if they got Jeff Bridges back, though!

Calculon 07-08-07 07:46 PM

I'll be there...

. ...but only if The Dude gets his rug back.

Zen Peckinpah 07-08-07 08:56 PM

A friend of mine (and fellow Lebowski obsessor) said he'd kill for a movie based entirely around Walter in Vietnam.

Best sequel news since Clerks II.

TheStoicPaisano 07-08-07 09:05 PM

Don't fuck with it.

thematahara 07-08-07 10:07 PM

How does making another movie fuck with the first one?

Are they going to go re-shoot the first one?

GuruTwo 07-09-07 03:49 AM

Rumors of a Jesus Quintana spinoff movie have been circulating for years. That could be what Turturro is talking about.

I can't really see the Coens doing a full-blown sequel* but I can see them doing a spinoff with a pederast as the central character.

*I wouldn't have guessed that they'd be doing a straight literary adaptation a few years ago either and now their upcoming movie is one.

T1000 07-09-07 04:47 AM

How do you make a sequel to TBL?

animatedude 07-09-07 05:06 AM

Coen Bros,get on the bus.

rexinnih 07-09-07 09:31 AM

I'd see it.

slop101 07-09-07 10:43 AM

Lebowski took place about 8 years previous to when the film was made, so I'm assuming the same would hold true for the possible sequel. I think with the Coens behind everything (and the same cast) it has potential to be great - though it'd be less of a movie without Donnie...

I would just hope they don't go the obvious route of "Little Lebowski" and focus on The Dude's kid Maude had.

starman9000 07-09-07 11:04 AM

Maybe it will develope into a series of movies with Lebowski solving crimes. No Donnie definately sucks though, as his absence will hurt Walter's character.