Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New Harry Potter film looks pretty Adultish

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

New Harry Potter film looks pretty Adultish

Old 07-04-07, 03:18 AM
  #1  
Suspended; also need updated email
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 16,564
Likes: 0
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
New Harry Potter film looks pretty Adultish

Saw the preview when i went to see Transformers, my 11 year old nephew was with me. Not sure any kid under 15 should be watching the new Harry Potter film. Seems very dark and much more adult orientated than the others.

I personally have no problem with that, but i know many parents will still take their 6 year olds along
Old 07-04-07, 03:28 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Cellar Door's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,978
Received 645 Likes on 399 Posts
Yeah, if you read the books in order you see that each book is a bit darker and more "adult" than the one before it. This is done to parallel the growth and maturity of Harry himself. Some of the stuff in the last couple of books (Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince) probably are a bit intense for young kids.
Old 07-04-07, 03:32 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Asgard
Posts: 393
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's why i liked goblet of fire so much. those kids are growing up and so should the themes of the movies. the first 2 were way to kiddie but they were kids so i had no problem with it. ever since POA the movies are getting better and better. can't wait for this one.
Old 07-04-07, 03:33 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,791
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is rated PG-13 this time around.
Old 07-04-07, 03:59 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Matthew Chmiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,263
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Goblet of Fire was PG-13 as well.
Old 07-04-07, 04:43 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,712
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I kinda doubt it. Order of the Phoenix isn't so violent as it is sinister. Maybe if they play up Harry's detention and the centaurs encounters it could be seen as violent. There's no language, no nudity/sexuality, and the violence is certainly less graphic than any Lord of the Rings movie.

I bet Transformers is more violent.
Old 07-04-07, 05:17 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,086
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the warning thread. I'm going to tell everyone I know under 15 to stay home.
Old 07-04-07, 05:31 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's PG-13 but again everyone will see Harry Potter and think kiddie. Oh well.
Old 07-04-07, 06:03 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 1,531
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Saw the preview when i went to see Transformers, my 11 year old nephew was with me. Not sure any kid under 15 should be watching the new Harry Potter film. Seems very dark and much more adult orientated than the others.

I personally have no problem with that, but i know many parents will still take their 6 year olds along
I just bought tickets to the midnight show for my wife and two oldest daughters, one who is six. I was really more concerned with her being able to stay awake after midnight than i was about the content of the flick. She saw Goblet in the theater and didn't get bored or scared( i think she may have closed her eyes a few times but she was ok)and that was after she just turned 5. It worries me a little bit that it may be a little too scary for her but she's pretty brave for her age and so i'm going to give it a shot. We usually watch stuff before hand, but when it comes to HP she usually sees it at the same time that we're seeing for the first time.
If it does scare her, hopefully it won't do any real damage and the only thing that will come of it will me having a few late nights when i have to sit up with her in the middle of night, which isn't always bad.
Old 07-04-07, 06:27 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,899
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call me crazy, but I think freshmen in high school will be able to handle it.

Last edited by Corvin; 07-04-07 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-04-07, 09:33 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, that's the beauty of the books. They came out so long ago that by now anyone who grew up with them is at an age that they can handle it. It's a slow growing process so the newer films may not be perfect for those just starting out in the world of potter but the older stuff is fine for them.
Old 07-04-07, 11:41 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,521
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by paradicelost
I just bought tickets to the midnight show for my wife and two oldest daughters, one who is six. I was really more concerned with her being able to stay awake after midnight than i was about the content of the flick. She saw Goblet in the theater and didn't get bored or scared( i think she may have closed her eyes a few times but she was ok)and that was after she just turned 5. It worries me a little bit that it may be a little too scary for her but she's pretty brave for her age and so i'm going to give it a shot. We usually watch stuff before hand, but when it comes to HP she usually sees it at the same time that we're seeing for the first time.
I'm sorry, but why in the hell would you bring children that young to a midnight showing? Do you enjoy inflicting pain on your fellow moviegoers? If your daughters are fidgety (as children at that age are apt to be by 1:30 in the morning) will you take them out so the rest of us can enjoy the movie? Why not take them to a matinee, when they're more likely to enjoy it? It would be better for your children and better for the grownups who go to midnight shows.
Old 07-05-07, 01:42 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 5,133
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taking my almost 9 year old son and 6 year old daugther to a Wednesday matinee showing. My daughter loves the movies so far.
Old 07-05-07, 02:07 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I'm sorry, but why in the hell would you bring children that young to a midnight showing? Do you enjoy inflicting pain on your fellow moviegoers? If your daughters are fidgety (as children at that age are apt to be by 1:30 in the morning) will you take them out so the rest of us can enjoy the movie? Why not take them to a matinee, when they're more likely to enjoy it? It would be better for your children and better for the grownups who go to midnight shows.
Bravo. I wanted to say the same thing but didn't want to come off as mean.
Old 07-05-07, 02:10 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,154
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shumway
Taking my almost 9 year old son and 6 year old daugther to a Wednesday matinee showing. My daughter loves the movies so far.
Ditto. I don't have a son, though.
Old 07-09-07, 06:31 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 1,531
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I'm sorry, but why in the hell would you bring children that young to a midnight showing? Do you enjoy inflicting pain on your fellow moviegoers? If your daughters are fidgety (as children at that age are apt to be by 1:30 in the morning) will you take them out so the rest of us can enjoy the movie? Why not take them to a matinee, when they're more likely to enjoy it? It would be better for your children and better for the grownups who go to midnight shows.
Have you never been to a midnite show, their pretty much filled with a lot of annoying people that scream at the screen and act like idiots in other ways. So i don't think my daughter is going to bug anyone in the usual midnite crowd.
Plus, no offense but you do not know my daughter so don't act like you do by automatically believing she's going to be loud and figidy because she's six. I was a manager at a theater so she's been going to late screenings with me for the last 3 to 4 years, and she has learned how to behave in that enviroment. She knows how to behave in a theater, being matinee or late show. And to make you feel better my wife and i are not parents who believe that there is no way that are children can be annoying. If she's acting up we quickly leave the theater so the only thing that is lost is the money we payed for the tickets.

Last edited by paradicelost; 07-10-07 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-09-07, 07:02 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,791
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are the midnight showings happening tonight or tomorrow night (Tuesday night/Wednesday morning)?
Old 07-09-07, 07:20 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,914
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Why would it come out two nights earlier?
Old 07-09-07, 07:39 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,791
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Who can keep up with when movie open these days?
Old 07-09-07, 08:01 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,612
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you never been to a midnite show, their pretty much filled with a lot of annoying people that scream at the screen and act like idiots in other ways. So i don't think my daughter is going to bug anyone in the usual midnite crowd.
From my experience, you're wrong. The opening night midnight shows of big movies are different. Since the people who show up for that first midnight showing are generally the die hard fans, they will actually be respectful of the film going experience because they've been waiting for this movie for the past year.

Other movies that aren't big sell outs, yes, they can have the disrespectul audiences.
Old 07-09-07, 08:08 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 79,191
Received 927 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by paradicelost
I just bought tickets to the midnight show for my wife and two oldest daughters, one who is six.
Why the hell would you take a six year old to a midnight movie? No offense, but that seems like pretty poor parenting.
Old 07-09-07, 08:59 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 1,531
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seantn
From my experience, you're wrong. The opening night midnight shows of big movies are different. Since the people who show up for that first midnight showing are generally the die hard fans, they will actually be respectful of the film going experience because they've been waiting for this movie for the past year.

Other movies that aren't big sell outs, yes, they can have the disrespectul audiences.
I'm sorry but both Transformers and Spiderman 3 were like that in my experience. Thats what i was basing my comments on.
Do i take my 6 yr old to late shows all the time no, but like i mentioned before when i was a manager at a theater, i did take her from time to time and she handled it quite well. We usually go to the first evening show but she's a big HP fan and she knew that her bigger sister was going so she asked to go so i got her the tickets. Is it a normal occurance for her to be out till 2am, absolutely not, though there are special occasions. I'm sorry if you disagree with me, and thats fine. I'll raise my kids my way and you do the same, so far i think i'm doing ok, she's well behaved(most of the time, she can be a heathen), she did good in school and i really haven't been getting any complaints from people. I really apologize for bringing this up, if i knew i was going to get yelled at by a bunch of people i wouldn't have.
I'll be sure to let everyone knows how she reacts and we'll be sure to take her out of the theater at the first sign of her making any noises, since god knows adults are always perfect angels in the theater.
Old 07-09-07, 10:16 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 79,191
Received 927 Likes on 644 Posts
I think you are missing the point, here. It's not about taking your 6 year old kid for fear she'll ruin the movie experience for others. It's the fact that she's 6 years old and she shouldn't be out at midnight, period.
Old 07-09-07, 10:18 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,521
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deftones
I think you are missing the point, here. It's not about taking your 6 year old kid for fear she'll ruin the movie experience for others. It's the fact that she's 6 years old and she shouldn't be out at midnight, period.
Exactly. And it would also be good parenting to take a child to the movie when she would enjoy it most.
Old 07-09-07, 10:36 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 79,191
Received 927 Likes on 644 Posts
The sad thing is, I don't even have kids yet.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.