Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ratatouille (Discussion, Reviews, etc.)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ratatouille (Discussion, Reviews, etc.)

Old 07-01-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
I have only one negative thing to say for an overly positive movie. And I love Brad Bird's work, but even in Iron Giant (a film I genuinely adore) it had a similar moment.
Spoiler:
Just as Hogarth extolls that guns are bad, yet he had a bb gun and played with a toy lazer gun, I thought it was rather unfitting to make Colette have her speech about being the only woman in the kitchen because it's a man's world to be a top chef, to then have her graciously concede to a rat.

Last edited by devilshalo; 07-01-07 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-01-07, 12:36 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good film, but I enjoyed the earler pixar films more. To be honest, I hate Rats and seeing the touching all the food made me want to get a flame thrower
Old 07-01-07, 04:49 PM

I thought it was the best film of the year to date.

I really don't understand the whole problem with human-like cartoon rats touching food. It's so far from real rats that I'd never translate that to a real-life mental picture, just like in many other quality animated flicks it hasn't bothered me that normally dirty animals do abnormal things that could be gross in real life.
Old 07-01-07, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got back. Loved it as well. To me, however, it felt like this movie would be above most kids heads.

The kids in my showing seemed to love when Remy was with the other rats, but every time it switched to Linguini's story in the kitchen, they were bored to tears. Lots of talking and fidgeting.

The adults, on the other hand, loved it. They were the ones clapping at the end.

Somehow, I feel that between the title and lack of kid friendly slapstick humor, this one won't earn the same money the other Pixar pics have. Obviously the opening weekend numbers seem to indicate this is a possibility.
Old 07-02-07, 08:04 AM

The thing is in France where The different styles of cooking was practically invented, It is a man's world. (We all know that does not make it right) We are lucky in america to see lots of breakthrough stars on the food network.
The summary of the chain of command in a professional kitchen was surprisingly well researched and right on the mark!
Old 07-02-07, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mittman
Just got back. Loved it as well. To me, however, it felt like this movie would be above most kids heads.

The kids in my showing seemed to love when Remy was with the other rats, but every time it switched to Linguini's story in the kitchen, they were bored to tears. Lots of talking and fidgeting.

The adults, on the other hand, loved it. They were the ones clapping at the end.

Somehow, I feel that between the title and lack of kid friendly slapstick humor, this one won't earn the same money the other Pixar pics have. Obviously the opening weekend numbers seem to indicate this is a possibility.
I agree that I think this go around the humour and story elements were geared to adults, but the kids at the screening I was at were surprisingly well attentive (maybe they had fallen asleep... )

personally, I loved this movie, it was a complete 180 from 'Cars' (ack, bleck! phewy). The voice casting was spot on. The one scene that whigged me out was when all those rats fell from through the ceiling near the beginning, I wanted to raise my feet in revulsion.

all in all this film exceeded my expectations. Thumbs up to you Pixar and Brad Bird!
Old 07-04-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm bumping this thread for people who are just getting the chance to see this great film!
Old 07-04-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw this and thought it was great. I had high expectations and it certainly lived up to them. It was very original and very fun.
Old 07-04-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great movie. Saw it last night. Animation was great. Stylized and beautiful. Story was good too. Very clever and funny.

I saw reviews of Rat... on Yahoo and the few complaints were from parents with kids. It's not so much a kid's movie or those adults with the mentality of a child and thank God. I couldn't stand another one of those condescending animated movies and I'm glad we went late in the evening and avoided screaming kids. The adults in the audience seemed to get all the jokes.

Good buy for a DVD.
Old 07-04-07, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Saw it today and loved it too. Great characters, great development, and the story just completely draws a viewer in. However, I do agree that it's not really for kids (which is only a drawback to, IMO, rather close-minded types who think all animation is just for kids) - in fact some kids were definitely not into the movie when I saw it (I heard the parents, who were into the movie, "shushing" the kids who weren't).

And one thing that stood out with the movie (although debatable if it's really a drawback)...
Spoiler:

...is that it has two endings. The first when the whole conflict with the head chief was resolved. But then the movie shifted into the food critic stuff which lead to a second resolution. I liked both endings, so I don't think it's really a drawback, but I'm sure some viewers are not going to like this double ending.
Old 07-05-07, 04:07 PM

Saw it yesterday. Amazing art and very funny. I still favor Nemo and Toy Story over this one, but still really liked it. We'll see if my opinion changes after the second (or 10th) viewing.
Old 07-05-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmac
And one thing that stood out with the movie (although debatable if it's really a drawback)...
Spoiler:

...is that it has two endings. The first when the whole conflict with the head chief was resolved. But then the movie shifted into the food critic stuff which lead to a second resolution. I liked both endings, so I don't think it's really a drawback, but I'm sure some viewers are not going to like this double ending.
Spoiler:
Why would people not want both stories resolved? It was basically Ego's criticism that broke the heart and spirit of Gusteau that he died. It was something that they'd have to come back and eventually revisit and resolve.
Old 07-06-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw this last night and I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed. Overall I liked the movie, but certain things just didn't work for me. Remy's narration took me completely out of the movie every time except the beginning and end.
Spoiler:

The part that really didn't sit right was Remy controlling Linguini by pulling on his hair. And the whole time that he was "learning" how to control Linguini I felt like I was learning how to play the Wii. My fiance and I even made a couple of jokes about it, pretending like we were playing Cooking Mama.

Aside from that I really enjoyed it. The animation was top-notch. The story was decent, the voice actors all did a good job, etc...
Old 07-06-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by C-Mart
Spoiler:

The part that really didn't sit right was Remy controlling Linguini by pulling on his hair. And the whole time that he was "learning" how to control Linguini I felt like I was learning how to play the Wii. My fiance and I even made a couple of jokes about it, pretending like we were playing Cooking Mama.
That's not really a spoiler...they show that in just about all the trailer's I've seen.

Unless you didn't want us to just know you play Wii without clicking on the spoiler!
Old 07-08-07, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. What an awesome movie. Bird is by far Pixar's best filmmaker, IMO, closely followed by Lasseter and Stanton. Stunning animation, a heartfelt and beautifully sincere story, amazing characters and excellent voice work -- O'Toole and Holm are standouts in smaller roles. Ratatouille is the film of the year so far, in my opinion. Can't wait to see this again on DVD. *****/*****
Old 07-08-07, 10:44 AM
Suspended

Loved it. Animation was awesome, good story line, even the music/sound effects were great. I also enjoyed the double ending, and i was really glad i got to watch it. 2 thumbs up.
Old 07-15-07, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Saw this today with my kid.

I don't get all the love for this movie on the forum. The animation was fantastic but the story was not. Dull as hell and there are more laughs in a Saturday morning episode of Tom & Jerry than this.

Pretty poor for a Pixar film as far as content goes. Not even close to being in the ballpark of Finding Nemo or the Toy Story films. Even Cars & Monsters, Inc. had more humor (which is really sad to say).

If you must see it, see for the animation but it is a definite snoozefest. My suggestion...wait & rent the dvd.

For what its worth, my kid was bored as well and all of the kids and parents in the audience seemed the same.

My rating: C- (only b/c the animation was so good).
Old 07-15-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw this last night and the theatre was sold out! But what an amazing film and I can't wait to revisit it once it hits DVD!
Old 07-15-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Saw this today with my kid.

I don't get all the love for this movie on the forum. The animation was fantastic but the story was not. Dull as hell and there are more laughs in a Saturday morning episode of Tom & Jerry than this.

Pretty poor for a Pixar film as far as content goes. Not even close to being in the ballpark of Finding Nemo or the Toy Story films. Even Cars & Monsters, Inc. had more humor (which is really sad to say).

If you must see it, see for the animation but it is a definite snoozefest. My suggestion...wait & rent the dvd.

For what its worth, my kid was bored as well and all of the kids and parents in the audience seemed the same.

My rating: C- (only b/c the animation was so good).
It seems your judging this film purely on the comedy it brings. There is much more to film than that. I felt it had a lot more depth than any of the other Pixar films. I'd rather have that than laughs a minute. I did find it to be quite funny, too.
Old 07-15-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Drop
It seems your judging this film purely on the comedy it brings.
I usually do that with comedies.
Old 07-15-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I usually do that with comedies.
Ratatouille is more than a comedy. It's got depth and story that goes beyond the humor.
Old 07-16-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally got to see this over the weekend.. simply incredible, it could be my favorite Pixar flick thus far.. and that's saying a lot as I've loved every thing they've put on screen. I could be biased based on my love of food, cooking and culinary arts.. but them's the breaks.

I LOVE this quote at the end of the movie:

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so."

Now, Brad Bird isn't exactly under the scrutiny of critics (Ratatouille is 100% for Cream of the Crop on RT in fact), but I have to image as a filmmaker, it was probably highly satisfying to put that on celluloid.
Old 07-16-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Now, Brad Bird isn't exactly under the scrutiny of critics (Ratatouille is 100% for Cream of the Crop on RT in fact), but I have to image as a filmmaker, it was probably highly satisfying to put that on celluloid.
Absolutely. O'Toole's ending monologue was fantastic. But you're right about Bird's films, they've all been met with critical acclaim, which seems to build with each feature. (85 vs. 90 vs. 95 metascores for The Iron Giant, The Incredibles, and Ratatouille respectively)
Old 07-16-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I saw the film for the third time yesterday and I still love it. Re-watching has not faded the awesomeness of this movie. This could be the best Pixar film ever. Its the first Pixar film made for adults, imo. Listening to just the dialouge, its much smarter than most live action flicks, not to mention animated.

Some parts are so subtle that you probably won't reazile how great the film is until you see it a few more times. I think I even laughed more during the third time because I was more familiar with the characters and their dialouge became richer.

Damn this is a good movie. Go see it.
Old 07-16-07, 04:16 PM
Cool New Member

I saw this yesterday and loved it. The part where

Spoiler:
Ego took a bite of the ratatouille and remembered the simple joy he used to have as a child when his mother made the dish.

was simply beautiful.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.