Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Transformers"...the (more than meets the eye) reviews thread.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Transformers"...the (more than meets the eye) reviews thread.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-07, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Let's see. It was a good summer popcorn flick. The CGI stuff was amazing. I think the transformations were the most intricate effects ever seen on film. Outside of that, the movie was way too long. Trim it by 30 minutes, and it would feel better. The Sector 7 stuff was ridiculous. I mean, outside of setting up where Megatron was kept, there was no need for them.
I agree. I liked it, but it was typical Bay: just a biiiit too long.
Old 07-08-07, 04:44 PM

Starscream always has an agenda. do you actually think he was searching for megatron in the first place. he was looking for the allspark. He always wants to be leader. always has always will. anyway, since the budget was around what 150-170 million? alot less than spidey 3 and pirates 3, paramount should give bay alot more to work with for the sequel and include the dinobots and astrotrain and blitzkreig, the decepticon triplchangers. it's nice having a small payroll for the actors also. no big names to eat up the budget.
Old 07-08-07, 05:13 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by sinister
Starscream always has an agenda. do you actually think he was searching for megatron in the first place. he was looking for the allspark. He always wants to be leader. always has always will. anyway, since the budget was around what 150-170 million? alot less than spidey 3 and pirates 3, paramount should give bay alot more to work with for the sequel and include the dinobots and astrotrain and blitzkreig, the decepticon triplchangers. it's nice having a small payroll for the actors also. no big names to eat up the budget.
We need more of the multi-bot transformers, like the Constructicons all joining together for Devistator. Man that would look so amazing on the big screen.
Old 07-08-07, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by QuePaso
We need more of the multi-bot transformers, like the Constructicons all joining together for Devistator. Man that would look so amazing on the big screen.
The problem with that is, how would you do it? It may work on a cartoon, but not in a "real life" movie. You've got vehicles of vastly differing sizes - unless you went with totally different vehicles. And how would you get them to combine in a realistic way?

There's far too many "characters" in the cartoon and comic book universes to try to cram them all into a movie. With just the few in this movie, I don't think enough time was devoted to the Transformer characters themselves. Add more characters and it would just be worse.
Old 07-08-07, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by chanster
I had that lunchbox, loved it. Looking at those toys really bring back memories. $1,000,000 is a bit steep though.

I got the 20th anniversary prime, man its gorgeous. Its worth the $60 bucks if you are feeling nostalgic. I never had Prime so I was real excited to finally get him after all these years.

Shot with Canon PowerShot S400 at 2007-07-08
I don't think that's the 20th anniversary Prime. That looks like the plastic version of it, and I think it goes by a different name, although it's of course the same figure. I have the 20th anniversary one and it's diecast. That plastic one came out later and was the "movie DVD edition," or something, I think.
Old 07-08-07, 05:53 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
The problem with that is, how would you do it? It may work on a cartoon, but not in a "real life" movie. You've got vehicles of vastly differing sizes - unless you went with totally different vehicles. And how would you get them to combine in a realistic way?

There's far too many "characters" in the cartoon and comic book universes to try to cram them all into a movie. With just the few in this movie, I don't think enough time was devoted to the Transformer characters themselves. Add more characters and it would just be worse.
I dont see an issue with it. Would be a great epic battle as a huge multi-robot transformer for the final battle ensued with all the transformers working together. Oh man, im giddy just thinking about it.
Old 07-08-07, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
I don't think that's the 20th anniversary Prime. That looks like the plastic version of it, and I think it goes by a different name, although it's of course the same figure. I have the 20th anniversary one and it's diecast. That plastic one came out later and was the "movie DVD edition," or something, I think.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...015439-7461453
Old 07-08-07, 06:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I myself have ordered the Ultimate Bumblebee figure, although he's not cheap:

Edit: Also, I notice there are some Amazon sellers who have the Takara Masterpiece figures listed, including Optimus Prime with convoy trailer and the unaltered Megatron that turns into a Walther PPK with scope.

Last edited by Supermallet; 07-08-07 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-08-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well its not the original 20th Anniversary Prime, but its the DVD "20th Anniversary DVD Edition" - i used a shortcut I apologize to all the avid collectors out there. The version I have is the commercially available one - the 20th Ann. Prime is "out of print"
Old 07-08-07, 07:55 PM

OK, you can post a link. Good job. Doesn't change the fact that that figure is not the original 20th anniversary Prime. The original figure, as I said, is die-cast, and does not have that base.

This is the original one: http://seibertron.com/toys/gallery.p...size=0&start=0

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 07-08-07 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-08-07, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet

Edit: Also, I notice there are some Amazon sellers who have the Takara Masterpiece figures listed, including Optimus Prime with convoy trailer and the unaltered Megatron that turns into a Walther PPK with scope.
Regarding Megatron - it's the G1 Megs that turns into the gun - although it's packaged in robot mode, shipments of this have been seized by customs in some places (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=266557) because having the gun barrel unaltered violates toy safety laws. eBay will not allow it to be listed and has cancelled auctions.

Info here: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/p...68&mode=retail

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 07-08-07 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-08-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I saw it for a third time today and was able to confirm a couple of things.
Spoiler:
Barricade was definitely meant to have been taken down by Optimus Prime. After Prime decapitates Brawl/Devastator, he's still very much on edge and poised for an attack. It's setup for a fight between Prime and Barricade. But then the scene abruptly cuts and we don't see any more of Prime until he eventually shows up later on to fight Megatron. Barricade is never seen again after he shows up just before Prime and Brawl/Devastator fight. My guess is that the effects for the fight between Barricade and Prime were not finished and they simply chose to cut out the scene entirely. Maybe we'll see a slightly extended cut on home video that restores the fight (I'm sure they've made enough money to warrant the expense of finishing the effects for a fight sequence) and corrected subtitles form when Brawl incorrectly identifies himself as Devastator.

Also, the bit on Wikipedia regarding Starscream is correct. After he attacks the F-22's, the pilots maneuver too well for him to take them all out and they're quickly on his tail. So he pilots around the buildings and integrates himself among them and actually leads the strike against Megatron.
Old 07-08-07, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet

How much is that Bumblebee?
Old 07-08-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I saw it for a third time today and was able to confirm a couple of things.
Spoiler:
Barricade was definitely meant to have been taken down by Optimus Prime. After Prime decapitates Brawl/Devastator, he's still very much on edge and poised for an attack. It's setup for a fight between Prime and Barricade. But then the scene abruptly cuts and we don't see any more of Prime until he eventually shows up later on to fight Megatron. Barricade is never seen again after he shows up just before Prime and Brawl/Devastator fight. My guess is that the effects for the fight between Barricade and Prime were not finished and they simply chose to cut out the scene entirely. Maybe we'll see a slightly extended cut on home video that restores the fight (I'm sure they've made enough money to warrant the expense of finishing the effects for a fight sequence) and corrected subtitles form when Brawl incorrectly identifies himself as Devastator.

Also, the bit on Wikipedia regarding Starscream is correct. After he attacks the F-22's, the pilots maneuver too well for him to take them all out and they're quickly on his tail. So he pilots around the buildings and integrates himself among them and actually leads the strike against Megatron.
LOL, that's sweet what Starscream did. Good job on Bay's part for including that.
Old 07-08-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anybody know how much it costs to make the movie?

I saw it opening day. 4 stars. The movie is absolutely fantastic
Old 07-08-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Around $150-$175 million. Way cheaper than SM 3 and Pirates 3.
Old 07-08-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
LOL, that's sweet what Starscream did. Good job on Bay's part for including that.
Man, that makes me even more happy with the film. Great subtle touch for Starscream's betrayal...hopefully they'll play on that in the second film when Megatron rises - my guess is that he'll know it was Starscream. Hell, it may be that Starscream did the most damage of all there.

Can't wait to see the film again and watch for that.
Old 07-09-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Saw this tonight, finally. Let me say this. I was born in 1980 and the TFs were one of my favorite things growing up. Michael Bay and company hit this one out of the park.
Old 07-09-07, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, you can post a link. Good job. Doesn't change the fact that that figure is not the original 20th anniversary Prime. The original figure, as I said, is die-cast, and does not have that base
Do you have to be a jerk about it? Unless you are a hard-core collector the names are incredibly similar and Amazon has it labeled it wrong. Calm down.
Old 07-09-07, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I forgot to mention a third thing I was able to confirm on my latest viewing of the film.

Spoiler:
The "tooth fairy" Autobot (the one that lands in the pool) is definitely Optimus Prime. Although it cuts to Ironhide taking on his vehicle mode immediately after the Autobot hides behind the tree, it's definitely Optimus Prime. That's why there's an angelic chorus of sorts that is heard as he rises from the pool. Look at his head and you'll see it's almost identical to that of Earth form Prime. Also, look carefully at his design and you'll see it matches exactly the Protoform that scans the Peterbilt.
Old 07-09-07, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Was anyone else reminded a little bit of Small Soldiers? The way that the good guys introduced themselves to the main kid, with all their personalities?
LOL. My brother and I were talking about the same thing after seeing it today. The similarities with the family in the 'burbs and the government tie-ins - also, some of the scenes and dialogue seemed familiar. Even the character personalities had parallels. The Transformers/Small Soldiers topic could be its own thread.

BTW, I liked Transformers quite a bit. But I'm also kind of fond of Small Soldiers.
Old 07-09-07, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Had some time to post about the ending.

Spoiler:

1. Starscream might be the only one in the "movie universe" left that can travel back to Cybertron to either take over and/or get reinforcements. This would introduce Shockwave and new decepticons in next film.

2. I havn't had time to read the entire thread yet so sorry in advance if it has been stated before, but I found it interesting that the "dead" decepticons were dumped to be destroyed in the ocean. After they were defeated in the Gen 1 cartoon they made an underwater base in the ocean.

Old 07-09-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think you're right on theory #2, DthRdrX.
Spoiler:
It'd be a great nod to the G1 series and it would be inkeeping with Michael Bay's proposed aircraft carrier character for the sequel.

Supposedly the plan is to feature Soundwave and not Shockwave in the sequel. It'd make sense given that if anyone would do his all to find a way to bring Megatron back, Soundwave would be the Decepticon for the job. Or maybe they'll make Soundwave and Shockwave a team given their similar sounding names.
Old 07-09-07, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just a thought.
Spoiler:
Am I the only one that doesn't think Sector 7 was truly disbanded? That's a whole lot of people to leave out of a job and it doesn't make sense to scrap the only team with years of practical experience regarding Cybertronian technology.

I would assume that Sector 7 would actually be restructured as a coordinated effort between the Autobots and military in case there were another Decepticon invasion. Maybe leading to the creating of a Teletran 1 for the Sector 7 team to communicate and coordinate remotely with the Autobots and better scan for any Cybertronians entering Earth's atmosphere in order to seek them out and determine whether they might be Decepticons.

Key roles could be given to Keller as director, Simmons and Banachek as Keller's direct subordinates, Lennox and Epps (and their surviving team members) as military support, Maggie and Glen as tech support, and (unofficially) Sam and Mikaela as liaisons to the Autobots.
Old 07-09-07, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One more thing.
Spoiler:
I always thought that perhaps the reason Bumblebee could suddenly speak at the end was because of the brief jolt he received from the Allspark when he was fiddling with it to make it smaller. What I find interesting, however, is that during the scene when Sam gets the Sector 7 guys to free Bumblebee (this is where Bumblebee has his Iron Giant moment where Sam has to talk him down from killing the Sector 7 grunts), Bumblebee is actually already speaking at this point. He's threatening them in Cybertronian.

Weird.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-09-07 at 02:41 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.