Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The King of Kong - A Fistful of Quarters

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The King of Kong - A Fistful of Quarters

Old 08-12-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The King of Kong - A Fistful of Quarters

Come On! This is Amerca... Everyone knows you can lie, cheat and steal if it is for the greater good!

Mitchell is a douche, so however they sell it, the point that this guy is a complete douche was made.

Gotta break some eggs to..something something.
Old 09-20-10, 11:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And Steve Weibe did it again!

http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.aspx?c=19&id=2264

TwinGalaxies.com(Press Release) – Sep 20, 2010 – Official video game scorekeeping organization Twin Galaxies has announced that the World Record on the classic arcade game Donkey Kong has changed hands for the third time this year as former champion Steve Wiebe climbs back into the top spot with a score of 1,064,500 points.

Wiebe last held the Donkey Kong record in spring of 2007, only to be bested by his movie rival Billy Mitchell months later. Mitchell's score fell to New York's Hank Chien in March of this year, but the Florida hot sauce distributor regained the title on July 31 with a score of 1,062,800 points.

Wiebe, who has attempted regaining the record at numerous live events over the years, recorded his championship game on August 30 for submission to Twin Galaxies, who verified and announced the score on Monday, September 20 as the new World Record.
Old 09-21-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YES!!!! Go Wiebe!
Old 09-21-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Suck it Billy.
Old 09-21-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched the DVD and am outraged they haven't updated the story yet.
Old 09-21-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

go steve!
Old 09-21-10, 05:11 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
I just watched the DVD and am outraged they haven't updated the story yet.
you mean some guy didn't come over and swap out your DVD for free? everytime they one-up each other my copy gets updated
Old 09-21-10, 05:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love underdog stories..way to go, Steve.
Old 09-21-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

How much playing time does it take to get these high scores?
Old 09-21-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
you mean some guy didn't come over and swap out your DVD for free? everytime they one-up each other my copy gets updated
Yep, it's an outrage!
Old 09-21-10, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can somebody go break Billy's thumbs off so we don't have to go through this back and forth anymore?
Old 09-22-10, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
How much playing time does it take to get these high scores?
2-3 hours, IIRC.
Old 09-22-10, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Can somebody go break Billy's thumbs off so we don't have to go through this back and forth anymore?
Billy's a competitor, he'd learn how to play with his feet.
Old 09-22-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wish they'd film all of this back-and-forth for a second doc, or at least some kind of online supplement.

Originally Posted by Numanoid
And destroy one of the greatest villains of all-time? Never.
Old 09-22-10, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
2-3 hours, IIRC.
dang....I don't even know wtf my score is like. I need to pay attention to it.
Old 09-22-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in regards to the comments about updating a DVD, providing up-to-date information on the Weibe vs. Mitchell war would be the PERFECT use for BD-Live technology.
Old 08-13-11, 09:21 PM

After watching this for the first time, I was looking up records and it shows on this website that 2 people got 3 scores higher than Weibe and Mitchell.

On this website, it lists that on 4/19/2010, Dean Saglio scored 1,136,400 to become number 1. Then on 2/4/2011 he beat his previous best score with 1,153,000. Then on 2/7/2011, Hank Chien scored 1,090,400 to take third highest score.

http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~slunk/GAMES.pdf

Anyone know if this is true?
Old 08-13-11, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Somebody knows ... but they are a friend of Billy's ...
Old 08-14-11, 12:00 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We finally got to sit down and watch this. Picked it up Big Lots for 3 bucks, been wanting it for some time.

Knowing nothing of top scores, these people, this film was a blast to watch. That real life cartoon character Billy is a total dink, and listening to his parents talk about him, thats where he got it. Doing a little looking on the net, watching other interviews of the guy, he is a total dbag, so the film didnt make that up.

The calling every two seconds and telling Captain Mullet what was going on because he was to spineless to show his ugly... well his ugly everything, was completely insane. These losers go beyond the title of lonely nerds.

All interesting oddballs. I cant wait to watch it again. Will have a run of this, American Movie and Crumb.
Old 08-14-11, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by thecrazydude
Just saw the movie last night and its very funny. The seriousness that everyone treats the subject matter makes it a must see.
Originally Posted by filmerp
Saw it with an audience of about 15 other people who were laughing throughout at how ridiculous the whole concept of the gaming championships were, yet everyone gave passionate applause by the end. Charming film- too bad it's so hard to find a screening.
Originally Posted by SPiRAL
I saw this a couple of weeks ago, and thought it was hilarious at how passionate these dudes are about video games. Good doc, very entertaining.
I have to admit that when I first watched this, I was thinking of what kind of dorks these people were for being so obsessed with an arcade games and high scores. But are they really any worse than sports fanatics? Or is it just that sports is seen as more of a "normal" pursuit than video games?
Old 04-12-18, 12:37 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Famed high-score gamer Billy Mitchell, best known for his leading role in “The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters” documentary, was officially stripped of his “Donkey Kong” and other video game high scores and banned from submitting scores to the world’s largest tracker of video game world records following a decision that he cheated, Twin Galaxies announced today.

“With this ruling, Twin Galaxies can no longer recognize Billy Mitchell as the first million point ‘Donkey Kong’ record holder,” the group wrote in its announcement. “According to our findings, Steve Wiebe would be the official 1st million point record holder.”

Variety has reached out to Mitchell and Wiebe for comment and Guinness to see if his record there will stand.

The decision comes after months of research by the administrators of Twin Galaxies, which tracks world gaming records and helps the Guinness Book of World records validate gaming scores, according to a statement released by the group Thursday morning.

The group writes in an statement released today that Mitchell’s famous”Donkey Kong” score of 1,047,200 was not achieved on an arcade machine — a requirement for Twin Galaxies and Guinness — but rather through the use of emulation software.

“The rules for submitting scores for the original arcade”Donkey Kong” competitive leaderboards requires the use of original arcade hardware only,” according to the group. “The use of MAME or any other emulation software for submission to these leaderboards is strictly forbidden.”

In investigation the allegations against Mitchell, first brought up when Jeremy Young filed a dispute in February, the group “meticulously tested and investigated the dispute case assertions as well as a number of relevant contingent factors.” They also say that at least two different third parties conducted their own explorations and came to identical conclusions. “Additionally,” according to the statement, “during the evidence gathering period of this dispute, numerous experts, hobbyists, and casual observers participated and contributed to this investigation.

“Based on the complete body of evidence presented in this official dispute thread, Twin Galaxies administrative staff has unanimously decided to remove all of Billy Mitchell’s’ scores as well as ban him from participating in our competitive leaderboards,” the group wrote. “We have notified Guinness World Records of our decision.”

Mitchell first came to a broader sort of fame when he appeared as one of the central figures in the 2007 documentary “The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters.” In the film, which was directed by Seth Gordon, Wiebe attempts to wrest the world high score for the “Donkey Kong” arcade game from Mitchell, who comes across as the bad guy.
The full official statement is at the link:
http://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/...le-1202751358/
Old 04-12-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Heard about this and other controversial scores recorded by Twin Galaxies a while back.
Old 04-12-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I recall about 10 years ago checking the record for score on Tetris on the Gameboy DS and the last game i played on it i had gotten triple the highest recorded at Twin Galaxies. One of these days when i actually have significant free time i am going to record a game and submit my score.
Old 04-12-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

"There's a career kill screen coming up if anyone would like to watch."

http://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/...mpression=true

Oh! someone already posted this, so here for context

Last edited by zero; 04-12-18 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-13-18, 10:49 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

‘King of Kong’s’ Steve Wiebe Speaks Out After High Score Controversy (EXCLUSIVE)
New scandal could breath life into a "King of Kong" TV show
http://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/...ew-1202752495/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.