Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"You Kill Me"

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
"You Kill Me"

Just got back from seeing it, and loved it. One of the year's best (so far). If you're tired of the over the top, CGI overkill and LONG movies this summer, go catch this smart and extremely well acted little comedy. I haven't seen "The Great Raid", but director John Dahl has not disappointed me yet with his impressive short career.
Old 06-23-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanted to see this, but it did not open up near me and I don't know if it will. Thanks for the review, though.

Have you seen The Matador with Pierce Brosnan? As I was reading the synopsis for You Kill Me it read similar to The Matador.
Old 06-23-07, 09:13 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw it at a free screening and i thought it was very very average. Ben Kingsley played the main way to stiff for me. It bored my girlfriend to death.
Old 06-23-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by conscience
I wanted to see this, but it did not open up near me and I don't know if it will. Thanks for the review, though.

Have you seen The Matador with Pierce Brosnan? As I was reading the synopsis for You Kill Me it read similar to The Matador.
Yes, I have seen "The Matador". And loved that too. Both would make an excellent double feature on DVD one day

BTW, this movie is currently at 74% on RT, 80% cream of the crop. And 7.5/10 on IMDB.
Old 07-19-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I loved it. It took awhile to get going and you kind of had to get into its rhythm but it gets better as it goes along and it's ultimately quite rewarding. Kingsly was brilliant, a very nuanced performance, much better than his over the top Sexy Beast role and Tea Leoni, who also executive produced, was marvelous. Dahl's best film since The Last Seduction. Somebody please keep his budgets low (I liked Rounders, Joy Ride and The Great Raid but his low budget films are better).

***½/****.

Last edited by movielib; 07-19-07 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-19-07, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by conscience

I liked The Matador too. But except for the basic idea (professional killer with psychological problems) the two films are almost nothing like each other. A movie it has a little more in common with is Prizzi's Honor.

Last edited by movielib; 07-20-07 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-21-07, 04:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really liked this movie as well. I wasn't too sure what to think about it until it ended. Pretty predictable, but executed well enough that it didn't bother me.
Old 07-21-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had a fine time watching this film, just for its smallness in scope, but it was nice to just be able to take in a story with a few characters at personal crossroads. Ben Kingsley as Frank the hitman in need of alcohol rehab is interesting to watch, providing some dry wit and ironic humor to his situation, both personally and professionally. The rest of the cast is solid in limited screentime. It was good to see Tea Leoni on the screen, and stepping behind the camera and into the exec-producing side (though you have to wonder if it was a vanity piece for her to get to work with Kingsley on a small, intimate film.)

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Last edited by Patman; 07-21-07 at 07:49 PM.