Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office 6/23-6/25 (Evan Not So Mighty Edition)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office 6/23-6/25 (Evan Not So Mighty Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Mighty Heart did pretty crappy too.
Old 06-24-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Hopefully... Ratatouille will bomb as well.
Why would you hope for that to happen??? Advanced word is that Ratatouille is one of the best movies of the summer, if not the whole year. Did you hate Brad Bird's previous movies The Iron Giant and The Incredibles, or do you just hate Pixar or something?

Old 06-24-07, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked The Incredibles better than any other animated childrens film I have seen in the past 10 years. However, i still dont think it was that great. Havn't seen Iron Giant and have nothing against brad Bird but i really dont like Pixar/Disney in general (espescially after Cars, it's hard to root for a studio that pays Larry the Cable guy loads of $ for providing a stupid redneck-ish voice.)
So, I am not gonna be too sad either way it goes but I actually think that the title is going to be what kills the film. That and it actually looks rather more sophisticated than most animated films coming out these days. Something I dont think kids will wont to go see. maybe it wont have enough action or poop jokes to satisfy the -5-10 y.o.'s
Old 06-24-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PPP
Could Evan Almighty end up being the biggest bomb ever?
Not even close.

It has a budget of $175 million (+ whatever it cost to market). It'll likely squeek past $100 million domestically (or come close) + whatever it does foreign. It may come close to breaking even just theatrically, with everything else being candy.

It won't do "well", but it's no Adventures of Pluto Nash either... It won't be the huge stinkbomb that the press will make it out to be starting tomorrow morning.

I'm sure Universal will be disappointed with the results, but what the hell did they expect, spending that much $$$ on a mediocre Steve Carrell comedy? I can't imagine any scenario where that movie would be a hit, except maybe by putting it out in Feb/March, when there's nothing else out there (ala Norbit).
Old 06-24-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I say that unless it surprises all and grows legs in some miraculous fashion, $100 million for Evan Almighty is not going to happen. Not getting a Saturday kiddie bounce is a bad, bad sign.
Old 06-24-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by onebyone
I say that unless it surprises all and grows legs in some miraculous fashion, $100 million for Evan Almighty is not going to happen. Not getting a Saturday kiddie bounce is a bad, bad sign.
Well, who knows... this definitely isn't an exact science. Maybe it won't. But Knocked Up made about $30 mil the first weekend and passed $100 mil on Friday.

Granted, that had strong reviews and good word-of-mouth behind it. But it's still possible that Evan will have enough staying power to limp to the $100 mil mark. That's what I see happening (IMO).
Old 06-24-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
That's such an ignorant statement, it's not even worth a response.

Is that why you are responding?
Old 06-24-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Evan Almighty will end up in the $80 million range. There's too much competition right now. Plus, Ratatouille and Transformers are on their way.
Old 06-24-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I think Evan Almighty will end up in the $80 million range. There's too much competition right now. Plus, Ratatouille and Transformers are on their way.

yup, i think most summer movies are suffering because of all the competition. I think making this cost 200 million was stupid to do. Even if it was successful and had a big opening it would still have a hard time with Ratatouille and transformers coming out.
Old 06-24-07, 04:00 PM
JIF

Evan Almighty will be one HD-DVD exclusive that I won't regret not having in my Blu-ray collection.

Last edited by JIF; 06-24-07 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-24-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Is that why you are responding?
No, my intent was to let the poster know that I think his comment is ignorant. Beyond that, it wasn't worth making a comment.
Old 06-24-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by maingon
yup, i think most summer movies are suffering because of all the competition. I think making this cost 200 million was stupid to do. Even if it was successful and had a big opening it would still have a hard time with Ratatouille and transformers coming out.
While I do not doubt that competition is playing a hand at the box office, I believe it is a factor of little signifigance.

I am more a proponent in the belief that the true cause of underperformance (not merely in the case of Evan Almighty, but rather most of this summer's films) is due simply to the poor quality of said films.

Thus far, the season has been flooded primarily with mediocre tripe. The few proverbial "diamonds in the rough" have been sprinkled in here and there, and are/did perform on par with the quality of their work.
Old 06-24-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts
I will be seeing DH next weekend to see if it will suck or not, but hopefully it will bomb and fox will get the message it should have been rated R.
Old 06-24-07, 05:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I didn't expect FF to be so close to $100 million already.
Old 06-24-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
The Incredibles is my pick for best animated movie EVER. A great combination of comic book superheroes, James Bond, and witty humor.
Old 06-24-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1408 did good "as a horror film" in its opening weekend despite the jampacked summer movie weekends.
Old 06-24-07, 06:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
The Incredibles is my pick for best animated movie EVER. A great combination of comic book superheroes, James Bond, and witty humor.
And Ratatouille is even better.
Old 06-24-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I didn't expect FF to be so close to $100 million already.
You're surprised it's close? With that near $60 million opening, this should've been past $100 million already. I'm surprised it's still not there yet. I thought part 2 would've been a bigger hit. But it looks like it's having almost identical numbers as part 1, which means it's not gaining any new fans.
Old 06-24-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"1408" is the biggest opening ever for a King-horror film but its a PG-13. So was "Disturbia". PG-13 horror films have made money and while "28 Weeks Later" and "Grindhouse" are better films, they haven't even crossed $30mil. "Hostel II" is bombing as well.

Look for more PG-13 horrors.
Old 06-24-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maingon
so you want die hard to flop because its pg13? those movies werent very "R" to begin with, it might not have alot of swearing but it will have fuck at least once, the violence should be at the same level
The Die Hard movies were very 'R'. You must have been watching on TBS.

= j
Old 06-24-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
"1408" is the biggest opening ever for a King-horror film but its a PG-13. So was "Disturbia". PG-13 horror films have made money and while "28 Weeks Later" and "Grindhouse" are better films, they haven't even crossed $30mil. "Hostel II" is bombing as well.

Look for more PG-13 horrors.
If they are PG-13 movies like 1408, I welcome them with open arms. Of course, they probably won't be, but what can you do?

There have been plenty of horror flops of all ratings this year. It's been a box office blood bath.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-24-07 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-24-07, 10:34 PM

Has anyone discussed what the hell the E.A. producers spent 175 million dollars on? Is Freeman making 100 mil a picture these days?
Old 06-25-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm glad 1408 is doing well, it was a good movie.
Old 06-25-07, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Look for more PG-13 horrors
You know what, who cares? I want GOOD horror movies, not just R-rated ones. If the PG-13 ones that are made are of better quality and more entertaining, then i'll take those. All the recent ones are just about torture. I have been entertained by some of them, but I'm so burnt out on them that i'm happy they're all bombing. It'll force Hollywood to look elsewhere for ideas. I'm also guessing that Saw 4 is going to do a lot less business than the 3 previous Saw films did.
Old 06-25-07, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PS- I loved 28 Weeks Later and Grindhouse, and was sad to see them bomb, but I was mainly referreing to Hostel Part II, Hills Have Eyes II, Captivity, Saw II - and III - and IV - The Hitcher, etc...

It has all become one big contest of how much carnage we can put upon our cast with as little input into the plot as possible. If it is entertaining, great! I'll go see it. I liked "The Hills Have Eyes" remake a lot. That was last year. Before all these other movies came out. Now it's time for some DIFFERENT ideas. Or at least a few different ideas scattered throughout the wannabes/copycats.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.