DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Revenge of the Nerds - why is Booger considered a nerd? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/504082-revenge-nerds-why-booger-considered-nerd.html)

taffer 06-19-07 05:42 PM

Revenge of the Nerds - why is Booger considered a nerd?

I just re-watched Revenge of the Nerds today, and it reminded me of something I always wondered about. Why is Booger considered a nerd? IMO, he doesn't seem to meet the stereotypical nerd qualifications like all the other nerds in the movie do.

FinkPish 06-19-07 06:08 PM

He's just an outcast, like everyone else in Tri-Lambda House. Lamar Latrell wasn't a stereotypical nerd either, he was flaming gay.

Calculon 06-19-07 06:09 PM

Le'see:
1. above-average intelligence - check
2. poor hygiene - check
3. lack of social skills - check
4. sexually frustrated - check

What was the question again?

DeputyDave 06-19-07 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Calculon
Le'see:
2. poor hygiene - check

Hell, if he collected DVDs he would've been their president.

devilshalo 06-19-07 06:24 PM

He's a VIP. Very Immense Penis. ;)

UAIOE 06-19-07 11:15 PM

Le'see:
2. poor hygiene - check

Where in the movie did they show his above-average intelligence?

Michael Ballack 06-19-07 11:53 PM

There's plenty of stupid nerds. There's a category of nerds that thinks they are smarter than they really are.

Kudama 06-20-07 12:00 AM

In the movie the nerds were like a D&D party. Booger was the Berserker. The gay dude was the Elf.
Get it together nerds!

taffer 06-20-07 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Where in the movie did they show his above-average intelligence?

That is what I was wondering too. The movies never show him using above-average intelligence, and IMO, to be a nerd you have to be intelligent. With his inclination towards toilet humor, he doesn't appear too intelligent. Booger seems more like a generic pothead/loser than an actual nerd.

Jackskeleton 06-20-07 04:43 AM

He was a nerd. Deal with it.

Drop 06-20-07 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
There's plenty of stupid nerds. There's a category of nerds that thinks they are smarter than they really are.

I think they are called geeks.

Yavin 06-20-07 08:38 AM

Le'see:
2. poor hygiene - check

I always wondered about this too, but this makes sense. It's just not immediately apparent on the surface, since he didn't dress the stereotypical part.

mmconhea 06-20-07 08:39 AM

I think because he was of DVD Talk Platinum Edition status

Giles 06-20-07 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kudama
In the movie the nerds were like a D&D party. Booger was the Berserker. The gay dude was the Elf.
Get it together nerds!

yeah! ... goddamnit... wait I played D&D
:o

Josh H 06-20-07 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by taffer
That is what I was wondering too. The movies never show him using above-average intelligence, and IMO, to be a nerd you have to be intelligent.

Nah, to me the biggest part of someone being labeled a nerd is there being socially awkward and/or outcast.

devilshalo 06-20-07 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Josh H
Nah, to me the biggest part of someone being labeled a nerd is there being socially awkward and/or outcast.

Which is basically reiterated in the speech Gilbert made at the pep rally.

In any case, sometimes you just have to say, "What the fuck."

mijorico 06-20-07 12:36 PM

Why is he considered a nerd?

Isn't his name self explanatory? He picks his nose in public. Last I checked, that doesn't make you cool.

Zen Peckinpah 06-20-07 01:00 PM

*Picks nose*

I don't know.

rabbit77 06-20-07 04:23 PM

I've always wondered this too. He wasn't a nerd. Hell, he was out combing the high schools all day.

OwlAtHome 06-20-07 07:31 PM

I think he hung out with the nerds because they accepted him, it was where he fit in best. The nerds probably thought they were hanging out with one of the "cool" dudes. When they (nerds) were all naive about women, getting stoned and partying he was an expert. I'm betting he got them to do all of his schoolwork which kept his grades in perfect order thus he was considered a nerd.

My question is
Spoiler:
what the fuck are robster craws?
;)

taffer 06-20-07 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by OwlAtHome
My question is
Spoiler:
what the fuck are robster craws?
;)

Spoiler:
What the fuck is a frush?

taffer 06-20-07 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by mijorico
Why is he considered a nerd?

Isn't his name self explanatory? He picks his nose in public. Last I checked, that doesn't make you cool.

So if you aren't "cool" you are automatically a nerd?

OwlAtHome 06-20-07 07:52 PM

:lol:

:toast:

paradicelost 06-21-07 03:25 PM

On the commentary in the Panty Raid edition dvd he points out how he wasn't really a nerd but he just was just kinda lumped with them(he may have said something about it being because he didn't get accepted in any other frats).

devilshalo 06-21-07 04:03 PM

Gibert: I just wanted to say that I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds. I mean uh, all our lives we've been laughed at and made to feel inferior. And tonight, those bastards, they trashed our house. Why? Cause we're smart? Cause we look different? Well, we're not. I'm a nerd, and uh, I'm pretty proud of it.
Lewis: Hi, Gilbert. I'm a nerd too. I just found that out tonight. We have news for the beautiful people. There's a lot more of us then there are of you. I know there's alumni here tonight. When you went to Adams you might've been called a spazz, or a dork, or a geek. Any of you that have ever felt stepped on, left out, picked on, put down, whether you think you're a nerd or not, why don't you just come down here and join us. Okay? Come on.
Gibert: Just join us cos uh, no-one's gonna really be free until nerd persecution ends.