Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When was last time a movie scared you?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

When was last time a movie scared you?

Old 06-16-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Arlington Road, when Jeff Bridges is looking in the yearbook, and comes across Tim Robbins photo. The score, and Bridges expression just brings chills to me every time.
Old 06-16-07, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Candyman
Blair Witch Project
Book of Shadows: Blair Witch Project 2
Session 9
Exorcist III
Old 06-17-07, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In theaters, my friend who I saw The Descent with said to me after the movie, "I thought you were going to have a heart attack." That movie is scary as all hell. I must have gasped or jumped highly at least five times during it.

Not really scary, but the first time I saw The Departed, I jumped about 10 feet into the air when
Spoiler:
DiCaprio got shot in the head
. Same thing with the beginning of Kill Bill: Vol. 1.
Old 06-17-07, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably when I was 8 or 9 and saw Amityville Horror. I just don't find "horror" movies all that scary. They often startle the audience with loud noises in the midst of quite moments and flashes of extreme images all of a sudden, but that's not scary, that's just startling the audience.

I liken most modern day horror movies to grade school kids that come up and yell BOO behind you and when you jump they declare they scared you. No, they didn't scare you, they startled you. Horror movies stopped being scary a long time ago and just became startle movies.
Old 06-17-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1973- The original Texas Chain Saw massacre was the first horror movie to really scare the shit out of me. It remains one of my favorite horror movies of all-time & even through the movie doesn't make me jump like it used to, & altrough I really enjoyed the 2003 remake I think the original was more frightening because of the film they used to shot the movie.
I'm one of the few that liked TCM 2 based on the fact that it was just so fucking crazy & different.
TCM: The Beginning was scary because it was just a waste of good potential.

The Shining is a right out scary fest at the time, not because it made you jump but (I can't really explain it) it was just a different kind of scary.

Really none of the horror movies of today are that well told or scary because I think the genre (besides the brilliant Saw series) has run out of ideas.
Old 06-18-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
I think maybe "The Decent", but that was at home on DVD. In the movie theater, forget about it...I don't think I will ever recall that.
The Decent? Doesn't sound scary at all.
Old 06-18-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1980 - Motel Hell. I was only 3 or 4, but I remember being scared to death of the guy with the pig head and chainsaw.

Not much since then.
Old 06-18-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Event Horizon, in the theater (1997).
It still freaks me out a bit on the small screen.
Old 06-18-07, 11:06 AM
Banned

jacob's ladder and audition are two of the scariest and disturbing films i have seen.
Old 06-18-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Exorcism of Emily Rose - made me dread 3 am for a few days. Aside from that, The Exorcist - the wide-eyed demon with the white face (that we get a couple of milliseconds of) still creeps me out. Basically only films grounded in religion, like these two, creep me out.
Old 06-18-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Thai horror flick, Shutter. Great, simple story, great atmosphere, great ending ... and very potent scare tactics, both creep-out and jump worthy.
Old 06-18-07, 11:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Session 9
Old 06-18-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another vote for Session 9
Old 06-18-07, 06:24 PM

The Exorcist

IMHO nothing has ever equalled it, and I don't mean the FX which looks a bit cheesy these days, but the overall sense of dread or evil that still disturbs.
Old 06-18-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely The Descent.
Old 06-18-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the theaters recently, well..lets see:

The Ring and the Sixth Sense are the only ones that come to mind..
Old 06-19-07, 12:38 AM

Recently, nothing.
But in the 80's my friend and I went to the .99 cent B-Movies at midnight.
One night we saw a movie called "The Brood".
I remember being scared on the late night drive home by myself.
If I had seen a little kid in a hooded rain coat I probably would have freaked out.
Old 06-19-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exorcist III
Spoiler:
OF COURSE. When the nurse gets it. Also when George C. Scott is walking around the hospital ward, and the old lady is crawling across the ceiling.

The Sixth Sense
Spoiler:
Mischa Barton as the puking girl creeped me out

The Descent
Spoiler:
I don't know if scared is the right word, but some of the scenes with the women stuck in these tight tunnels made me very uncomfortable.

War of the Worlds
Spoiler:
Hundreds of weary people are shuffling onto the ferry when they hear that alien noise. They turn and see the tripods advancing.

Salvage - No spoiler, just rent this very unsettling and scary movie about a girl being pursued by someone or something. Extremely well done thriller made for about $150.

Dawn of the Dead (remake)
Spoiler:
When the woman sees her husband get his throat torn out by the little girl. The way the girl jumps into a standing position and attacks always gets me, as well as the ensuing chaos as the woman realizes that the whole world has gone nuts.
Old 06-19-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
When I was a kid and I saw Stephen Kings "It". Sheesh, I still hate clowns.
Old 06-19-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
I watch tons of horror films and I don't scare easily but "The Descent" gave me chills and goosebumps. Very effective horror film. Before that, probably the original japanese "Ringu". And of course, I almost crapped in my pants and had to sleep with the light open for 2 weeks after I saw "The Exorcist" in theaters when I was younger. In order to get over it, I decided the best thing to do was to confront my fear so I started reading the book before bedtime. What a dumbass idea that was.
Old 06-19-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The remake of "The Hills Have Eyes" definitely freaked me out at times...
Old 06-19-07, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
The Thai horror flick, Shutter. Great, simple story, great atmosphere, great ending ... and very potent scare tactics, both creep-out and jump worthy.
The only movie in this thread I haven't seen... ordered from Netflix.

I tend to only get realy creeped out at ghost type scenes. Parts of Sith Sense scared me, and The Eye is a perfect example of a scary movie to me. The last one to "get me"? Say what you will about it but the US version of The Grudge almost made me crap myself in the theater.
Old 06-19-07, 02:52 PM

The Others creeped me out like nothing has creeped me out before. I watched it on dvd at night, alone in the house and the movie had me so spooked I kept looking over my shoulder thinking I heard something...
Old 06-19-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another for The Grudge. Part of it was definitely the atmosphere as there were lots of teenaged girls screaming along at the right parts. I was actually genuinely creeped out at night for the next 2 weeks. My wife kept looking at me, making one of the weird faces and some of the noises. She even taught one of our daughters to make some of the noises.

I was creeped out by The Ring, but, not scared.

The Exorcist scared the crap out of me when I saw it the first time at home, and I was 18.
Old 06-19-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In terms of shock scares, Dog Soldiers is pretty damned effective.

In terms of shear eerieness, nothing beats The Exorcist, although the original The Haunting is also disturbing.

In terms of awful, ick-type feelings, Oldboy really bugged me. That claustrophobic decaying hotel room with the gas, greasy dumplings and cheap painting is a very effective vision of hell. And then things go downhill.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.