Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

There Will Be Blood - Paul Thomas Anderson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

There Will Be Blood - Paul Thomas Anderson

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
I don't really consider those things chances or unique. That's stuff you should do with this sort of material anyway. I guess I tend not to compare stuff like this to say Spider-Man 3, because it's obvious this movie was attempting to be something more. That still doesn't mean it's a great movie. An ambitious one, yes, and I give points for trying, but you can't give a kid an A on a test based solely on trying. All the pieces have to fit together. Don't get me wrong, I'm far from hating the movie, but it just didn't affect me like I think it was supposed to. By the end, I just didn't care anymore, as I never gave a crap about H.W. and Daniel's little "chat" or Eli and Daniel's for that matter. Am I supposed to care that Daniel is an alcoholic bastard? Was I supposed to care about any of the characters, or what they did, for that matter? It's these things that keep me from loving it.
That's fine, and the movie worked flawlessly for me when it obviously didn't for you.
Old 03-06-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NIMH Rat
You need to watch more American films.

Start with Griffith. Work your way over to Keaton. Check out some von Stroheim and Lang (their American works, of course). Screwball comedy and noir. Then some musicals, Fred and Ginger. John Huston. Early Kubrick. Peckinpah. Then 70s Coppola, Scorsese, De Palma, Spielberg. Add some Lynch.

Then re-watch There Will Be Blood.

Note the overwroughtness. The overacting. The overemoting. The narrative holes. The slack pace in the second hour. The ludricous concluding act.

Hell, Don Siegel's a better moviemaker.
Yes, yes and yes. Please don't assume I haven't seen the works of Griffith, Keaton and blah, blah, blah. I've seen everything. It amazes me that you could seriously list Spielberg among the auteurs you listed.

I may have been too hasty to call There Will Be Blood the greatest American film of all time. Time will always be the judge. However, I do think the film is perfect in every way it could be. I think no other film represents America better.

Maybe I just like it better than most (all?) films I've seen because I have always connected with Paul Thomas Anderson's work moreso than any other director.
Old 03-06-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CloverClover
Nah, No Country would probably crack most of its fans top 50-100, but Blood's fans hold it as an achievement for film history... I liked No Country but thought Before the Devil was just as good... every year there are very good to great films like them, but Blood is rare and different.
I couldn't agree more. I loved No Country but it won't even go down as my favorite film by the Coens. There Will Be Blood is one that I think people will still talk about 50 years from now.
Old 03-06-08, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was blown away by There Will be Blood. I thought it was going to be boring at first but Daniel Day Lewis' performance was outstanding. I just couldn't get enough of it. I watched it twice with two days. I was disappointed though that it didn't when academy award for best movie. I mean No Country was a good movie but was just not that good. The acting wasn't as good as its been put out to be. Just my 2 cents. I am reading the Book There will be blood is based on and its definetly different but has its similarities.
Old 03-20-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Here's the flow-chart for Plainview's scheme:

Old 03-20-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yet, it was Eli Sunday that helped make him rich.
Old 03-21-08, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Hilarious

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y9ClsOQdlUE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y9ClsOQdlUE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 03-21-08, 12:57 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
^^^ that was fantastic
Old 03-21-08, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by inri222
Hilarious

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y9ClsOQdlUE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y9ClsOQdlUE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Yes, I saw that on Funny Or Die. Definitely one of the more impressive parodies.
Old 03-21-08, 02:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That was awesome!
Old 03-21-08, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Meh, technically it was well done and it didn't look cheap but other than that it was nothing special. In fact, it was only slightly better than an SNL bit.

I guess you have be a pot head to really "get it" and I'm not so oh well.
Old 03-21-08, 05:29 PM
Banned

Not as good as "There will be Bud" but this one has it's moments:
[IMG]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HflLVEWbigI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HflLVEWbigI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/IMG]
Old 03-21-08, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I liked the Wii bowling alley.
Old 03-21-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Meh, technically it was well done and it didn't look cheap but other than that it was nothing special. In fact, it was only slightly better than an SNL bit.

I don't smoke weed but I appreciate good comedy.
Old 03-21-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

I was impressed but I wasn't laughing. Kudos to them it was very well done.
Old 03-21-08, 10:29 PM

even if you didn't "get" the jokes, you can see how they tied them in almost seamlessly with TWWB. Again, very well done.
Old 04-04-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, I watched the film again. I don't know if this was addressed but did anyone have any theories on what Daniel whispers to Paul after he gets humiliated and slapped around in the church. He says something and Sunday's face suddenly becomes fearful.

The only thing I noticed is at the end Daniel says something along the lines of "I told you I'd eat you Paul"

Great film.
Old 04-09-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watched "There Will Be Blood" on DVD, and I liked the whole film, but it lost a lot of steam after...

Spoiler:
Daniel abandoned his boy, H.W. Plainview, on the train.

It just didn't seem as interesting after he did that, and even when (reference spoiler) did come back; it just wasn't as interesting anymore.

I know TWBB is always getting the "which one is better?" against "No Country For Old Men" and my answer would be; "No Country For Old Men". I just found NCFOM more entertaining and pleasing overall. Daniel Day-Lewis' performance is outstanding in TWBB, and I think his performance is the reason why TWBB is any good in the first place, but NCFOM was just more enjoyable. I wouldn't say I was disappointed, it was just that I thought it fell a lot, interesting wise, after that part I mentioned in the spoiler. The ending was brilliant, however.

With masterpieces like "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" and "No Country For Old Men", and incredibly good movies like "American Gangster" and "Michael Clayton", and even a fun movie like "3:10 To Yuma"; I wasn't that depressed that TWBB lost some steam. 2007 was an outstanding year for film lovers.

I'd call TWBB a masterpiece.
Old 04-09-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If including TWBB and NCFOM as westerns I would say 2007 was one of the best years for the genre.
Old 04-09-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just watched it for the first time, anyone else feel that you might have to go as far back as George C. Scott in PATTON (1970) to find as dominating a lead performance as turned in by Daniel Day-Lewis in this film?
Old 04-09-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by flixtime
Just watched it for the first time, anyone else feel that you might have to go as far back as George C. Scott in PATTON (1970) to find as dominating a lead performance as turned in by Daniel Day-Lewis in this film?
There may be a few more - but none come to mind right now. However, I have to say that performances like GCS in Patton and DDL in Blood are pretty rare in any case. Basically while watching it you know you're watching something special - and that goes for the whole film and not just DDL's performance.
Old 04-10-08, 07:59 AM
Banned

I still cannot believe this was the lowest grossing best picture nominee from last year(espescially since I found it to be the most entertaining and fulfilling).....Its finally past the $40 million mark in the US but still Paramount spent at least $40 million on its Oscar campaign alone according to an Entertainment Weekly I read not too long ago.
Oh well, heres hoping it will do good numbers on DVD.
Old 04-10-08, 08:05 AM

maybe it was overpraised. seriously, people have gone on about it as if it were the second coming. I think a lot of people get turned off by such fanaticism. I liked it, but come on.
Old 04-10-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
If including TWBB and NCFOM as westerns I would say 2007 was one of the best years for the genre.
If "There Will Be Blood", "No Country For Old Men" are considered westerns, and "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" and "3:10 To Yuma" are great westerns; I think I've finally become a fan of the genre.
Old 04-10-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
3:10 to Yuma was pretty good too. (I didn't see Jesse James).

<hr>

Rant: This Is Absolute BS. Nation’s Critics Now Calling There Will Be Blood Best Movie Ever.

Editors Note:
The following rant includes some very strong language. Please be advised…

You know those fake dipshits who voted for Bush (once, twice, whatevs) and now try to explain and express their sorrows about the Iraq “War” and the economy’s collapse to you? Yeah, my new keychain from Supreme says “F**k ‘Em” for a reason. But, yeah, those dipshits are not half as bad as all of these movie critics who are now jerking off Paul Thomas Anderson’s There Will Be Blood now that it’s safely tucked-in on DVD.

What a bunch of fucking ****s. Srsly.

How many articles do I have to read from “new-and-old-media” movie critics about why the general public doesn’t give a flying shit about movie critics anymore (the most unproven, self-obsessed employees in the Western World)? Nobody gives a shit because even when a film is as fucking fantastically great and earth-shaking as TWBB, these mocha-choking-assholes don’t have the guts to call it out until they can watch it “four times on DVD” and even then it’s still an “A- or B-minus.”

What is the deal? I understand why a pathetic college-educated, money-sucking wanker like Gregory Kirschling at Entertainment Weekly now calls TWBB a “masterpiece” after numerous viewings, after dissing it the first time. His first impression? The film was fucking “weird” and “with little of the flash or exuberance or life of PTA’s previous epics, Boogie Nights and Magnolia.” Are you fucking kidding me? I saw TWBB once and automatically knew it was light years beyond No Country For Old Men in every way. I smoked a huge joint and realized it was practically impossibly great! My editor Peter, who did not smoke a joint at all, agreed (seriously, our TWBB discussion is why I write for Slashfilm and love this site). When I saw the film two more times, I realized that the movie totally killed the very notion of God. Was I wrong? I honestly don’t care.

I have not read one “movie critic” discuss such implications, but that is what the public wants. They crave controversial, bizarre-even, opinions about today’s films. Not PR-pleasing bullshit. You want Pauline Kael? I don’t. She wasn’t fucking Mary, okay? I want new light. I don’t want Lester Bangs. No more death. I want young bloods who say what they think and then go party the night away.

I love CHUD (the site, the movie a lil’ less); but Devin’s review, while well worded, doesn’t come clean about what this film means and is about. Do we need PTA to get his bib dirty? I’m glad that Devin doesn’t refer to Plainview as “evil” as so many assholes have, but c’mon. The DVD is packaged like a Bible for a reason. This movie is about the end of religion in the face of American progress, as ugly as that concept is. It’s about being a man and facing off in a world full of supernatural, batshit “man in the sky” bullshit and how that can drive said man crazy, then and now. Get out of here Ghost! It’s about sons and fathers, when the father can’t have a son and how he looks at the world with that in mind. It’s about killing a God that doesn’t exist. It’s a fucking great movie and possibly in the top 10 ever made.

Critics, grow some huge balls. Do drugs. The world’s best scientists are (Adderall, so ‘04 btw). Live life, then watch movies. Don’t shrink in a chair. Get crazy. Come up with weird theories about new movies for the helluva it. Like Quentin Tarantino says, if you back up a cool review up with examples, they will come and cum. Stop pretending like you are immortal in the face of mainstream mediocrity. The Internet is now your pimp. Show some skin (not literally, please never), but get freaky.
TWBB is a fucking masterpiece and it shits all over No Country For Old Men. That is ALL. Either you said it then (LIKE WE DID AT SLASHFILM) or you are an idiot. Every scene of TWBB is worth 1,000 words. Here’s to the new generation.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/04/10/...ver/#more-9798
Anyone else see this? Not my style of prose, but he makes some (early) interesting points. (The drug part, not so much).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.