Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

There Will Be Blood - Paul Thomas Anderson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

There Will Be Blood - Paul Thomas Anderson

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-08, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I was checking a customer out today at blockbuster, and she brought up this movie. She asked me if it was any good, so I said "I personally loved it, but anyone expecting a popcorn flick is going to be way disappointed. If you appreciate good acting you'll like it", she responds "Yeah, he's a damn good actor, I loved him in Road House."
Old 06-03-08, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by project86
So, I was checking a customer out today at blockbuster, and she brought up this movie. She asked me if it was any good, so I said "I personally loved it, but anyone expecting a popcorn flick is going to be way disappointed. If you appreciate good acting you'll like it", she responds "Yeah, he's a damn good actor, I loved him in Road House."

Gotta love that scene where Daniel Day-Lewis rips a dude's throat out by the river!
Old 06-04-08, 03:17 PM

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
I guess I am in the minority (as usual) in that I hated this movie. This was a 2 1/2 character driven movie without a driven character! no villian. no hero. no action. no drama. no suspense. no humor. no plot. after 2.5 hours of hearing Day-Lewis mumble and grumble, I still had no insight into his character. The preacher was a caricature. And the ending was a combination of the three stooges and a splatter film.

I like thoughtful and challenging films, so this isn't just coming from someone who like to check their brains at the door when he sees films. I have citizen kane, 7th seal, and La Strada in my DVD collection. But I found this a borefest without merit.
Old 06-04-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cinemaman
I guess I am in the minority (as usual) in that I hated this movie. This was a 2 1/2 character driven movie without a driven character! no villian. no hero. no action. no drama. no suspense. no humor. no plot. after 2.5 hours of hearing Day-Lewis mumble and grumble, I still had no insight into his character. The preacher was a caricature. And the ending was a combination of the three stooges and a splatter film.

I like thoughtful and challenging films, so this isn't just coming from someone who like to check their brains at the door when he sees films. I have citizen kane, 7th seal, and La Strada in my DVD collection. But I found this a borefest without merit.
You didn't feel Plainview was a driven character? You didn't have any insight into his character after all that? If that is true, you seem to have missed something rather massive.
Old 06-04-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Capitalism was the hero. Religion was the villain.

See how it relates to foreign policy.
Old 06-04-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by project86
makes you want to laugh and vomit at the same time...
Old 06-05-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Capitalism was the hero. Religion was the villain.

See how it relates to foreign policy.
I disagree slightly (maybe its perception).

"Capitalism was a villain. Religion was a villain. In the end, Capitalism wins"
Old 06-18-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just watched this and I agree with the previous post - there is no hero. In order to have a hero you must have some redemption, of which there is none of in the film.

Actually there is one scene of redemption:
Spoiler:
H.W. getting married to Mary. So maybe H.W. is really the "hero" character of the film.

Either way I thought there were some great scenes and definitely some study material, but overall it has problems that come from a deliberate stylistic choice and just wouldn't necessarily be my choices. The music was used as a unifying technique, and some of it was brilliant, but some of it was over the top and I think it really played a part in never letting me forget I was watching a movie. I felt as a viewer I was always kept at a distance, and both the cinematography and music played a part in that, but ultimately this was just a series of many vignettes that are held together through an endless chain of conflicts without resolution.

Dripping with tension - yes. An enjoyable experience for the film viewer - not especially. I don't mind the fractured-script style that seems to be so in vogue now, but the lack of true resolution or redemption isn't something I enjoy visiting often. Granted there's more of it than in NCFOM, and I could also see the parallels to Citizen Kane someone else mentioned in here, but overall I'd give it a "B".

And the Blu-ray disc looks very nice, BTW.
Old 06-18-08, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by naitram
The music was used as a unifying technique, and some of it was brilliant, but some of it was over the top and I think it really played a part in never letting me forget I was watching a movie. I felt as a viewer I was always kept at a distance, and both the cinematography and music played a part in that, but ultimately this was just a series of many vignettes that are held together through an endless chain of conflicts without resolution.
Just watched the movie, and I enjoyed it. I certainly was hooked throughout, but this is the kind of film I have little to no desire to revisit. (Most of PTA's movies are like that for me).

In regards to the music, I loved it - it just didn't seem to fit the context of the film. It's a situation where I would love to own the soundtrack to listen to on the road, but it kept me at a distance like naitram said, and it often reminded me I was watching a movie. Neat music, but not a good fit for me.
Old 08-27-09, 09:37 PM
Banned

Re: There Will Be Blood - Paul Thomas Anderson

Tanantino reviews There will BE Blood:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1rp5NjLRRyw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1rp5NjLRRyw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/08/27/...will-be-blood/
Old 08-28-09, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he calls him Longview. Haha
Old 08-28-09, 04:09 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

It's on right now on cable.
Old 08-28-09, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoyed that video quite a bit. Didn't realize QT and PTA were best buds. It's interesting he said that TWBB motivated him to do better with Inglourious Basterds. Because I felt like IB was his most mature work and I thought it was quite a change of pace and him "upping his game" so to speak. The same way I felt about PTA when watching TWBB.

As for There Will Be Blood, I caught it on HBO and couldn't stop watching it. I believe it still holds up and I think it will for years to come. It is such a great movie.
Old 08-29-09, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
As for There Will Be Blood, I caught it on HBO and couldn't stop watching it. I believe it still holds up and I think it will for years to come. It is such a great movie.
Finally got around to watching it (had been on my DVR for two months) and LOVED it. As a single father of a young boy, a couple of the scenes with Plainview and his son moved me almost to tears. And while I didn't care for the sometimes-disjointed narrative, I absolutely loved the performances (Lewis OWNED that role) and cinematography. Can't believe I didn't catch this during its theatrical run.
Old 12-31-15, 12:40 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

TWBB is a masterpiece, but one that is tough to watch. Daniel Plainview (DD Lewis) is one of the most evil characters to ever grace the silver screen. He is purely reprehensible & opportunistic. The one time you saw a sliver of humanity in the character was when he "adopted" H.W. as his actual son (after the baby's real father died); and, even when he was using his "son" to further his career as an oil man, you could tell he actually cared for him - even after he became deaf after the accident.

The scene that really appalled me
Spoiler:
was when after H.W. came to basically tell him that he was going to Mexico to start an oil business & to essentially ask for his blessing. Instead of being pleased that his son was happy, had gotten married, and was going to go out & possibly make a name for himself, he told him off & rejected him because he felt the son would become his competitor. Very sad....

To me, this rejection of the son was even tougher to watch than what he did at the very end with the bowling pin.. .
Old 02-21-22, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Was prepping to watch some Licorice Pizza with this. Still a masterpiece all of these years later. It was fun reading some of posts from some members back when this first came out in theaters.
Old 02-21-22, 05:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I gotta see this again, but haven’t been in mood for serious movies, but only saw once and made such indelible impression.
Really no comparison to LP. LP was light and fluffy compared to TWBB.
Old 02-21-22, 06:05 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Was prepping to watch some Licorice Pizza with this. Still a masterpiece all of these years later. It was fun reading some of posts from some members back when this first came out in theaters.
Yea... this may not be my favorite of his work, but I think it is very clearly his most masterful and best film.
Old 02-21-22, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Seeing that this thread has 600+ posts and Licorice Pizza only has like 12 makes me really, really sad.
Old 02-21-22, 08:43 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Just realized Radiohead did the score for this. I think I will pass on watching it for a 6th time knowing that.
Old 02-21-22, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Just realized Radiohead did the score for this. I think I will pass on watching it for a 6th time knowing that.
It's Jonny Greenwood - a member of Radiohead.
He also scored PTA's The Master, Inherent Vice, Phantom Thread and Licorice Pizza. He also scored two other films this year - Spencer and The Power of the Dog.
The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (02-21-22)
Old 02-21-22, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Seeing that this thread has 600+ posts and Licorice Pizza only has like 12 makes me really, really sad.

I have not seen Licorice Pizza but no way it is half as good as There Will Be Blood which was a masterpiece.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 02-23-22 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-21-22, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I have not seen Licorice Pizza but no way it is half as god as There Will Be Blood which was a masterpiece.
Yeah, not my point.
Old 02-21-22, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I was able to see TwbB in the theaters because I was younger and didn't have to worry about covid.
Now, even if there wasn't covid, I have an infant child that takes up way too much time to be able to go to a movie.
Old 02-21-22, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

It's a different time now. Not as many are going to the theatres now, so not many here have seen it yet.
I also think people were more interested in seeing awards films back then, and now it's just not as big a deal. Plus I have to believe there are just less people posting overall nowadays.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.