Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

ratatouille Sneak previews TONIGHT 6-16-07

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

ratatouille Sneak previews TONIGHT 6-16-07

Old 06-16-07, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pixar/Disney's ratatouille Sneak previews TONIGHT 6-16-07

Dont forget Pixar is having sneak previews tonight around 7pm at most theaters for ratatouille a full two weeks before it gets released.

Last edited by danstheday; 06-16-07 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-16-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got my tickets!
Old 06-16-07, 08:52 PM
Banned

A couple people on another forum saw it.

"I believe that Ratatouille is perhaps the best example of a purely Pixar film since Toy Story. It is a film that engrosses itself in its setting, its characters, its universe more than any of their films in between. It has most of The Incredibles' fantastic qualities (I want to marry Michael Giacchino right now), but does so within a more traditionally Pixar story...and that combination is hard to beat."

"Best Pixar film ever. Best animated film this year. Easily in the running for best film this year. I hate to use terms like pure magic, but when watching this film you can't stop smiling. Memles says it the best, Ratatouille might be the best example of everything Pixar stands for, great story, wonderful characters, classic non-referential humor, and in the end a heartwarming ending."
Old 06-16-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Today I caught Fantastic Four 2, and Ratatouille and I must say that there is no doubt in my mind that this was the better of the two. Everything bold in the post above mine is very much correct, and I'm one who rarely likes something the first time I see it. I'll be the first to admit that I judged this film way too harshly when I first heard of it and more so when I caught the first trailer. Highly recommended, very funny, and if it weren't for one very annoying person in the theatre it would've been a perfect cure for the drivel that was Fantastic Four 2.
Old 06-16-07, 09:25 PM
Banned

another comment:
"I can't really get into it right now since someone else is about to hop on the computer...but I can say the movie was amazingly great and I'll be watching it again on the 29th with some more of my family. Pixar really did outdo themselves with this movie as it has passed Finding Nemo & Toy Story as my favorite movie by them."

I really wish I went to the preview screening
Old 06-16-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

loved the movie, but was distracted because the print I saw was scratched to shit because an inexperience projectionist decided to screen it for himself last night...I was pissed but I'll see it again on the 29th and hopefully not be distracted by print quality. The movie though was funny, fast paced and just a lot of fun. This is classic storytelling and really felt like Pixar at the top of their game. Can't wait to pick this up on blu-ray and I'll be seeing it at least once more in the theatre.
Old 06-16-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Man, I really enjoyed the hell out of this film. What a perfect marriage Pixar and Bird has been. I wouldn't rank Ratatouille quite as high as the perfect Incredibles in my book, but it's so damn great that you practically swoon. What I love most is that it's not the kind of manic, ADD humor that most animated kid flicks throw at you. It's a maturely told story with thoughtful writing, low-key moments along with the big payoffs. There was huge applause at the end of my nearly sold-out showing.
Old 06-17-07, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
I caught the sold-out show tonight.

GREAT movie! The animation sets a new standard. The "camera work" was amazing. I loved the story and the voice talent. Like with FunkDaddyJ, there was huge applause at the end. One minor disappointment: there was no extra scene after the credits. A lot of people stayed too.

I'll be there again when it opens. Some dialog was lost due to the audience laughing over it... which is a good problem to have.

Oh, the short before the film was called "Lifted". It deals with...
Spoiler:
Alien abduction but from a different perspective. It was pretty funny, as usual
Old 06-17-07, 02:00 AM

A+ The film was AMAZING. At times you totally forget your watching an animated film. The anamation was out of this world and the best I have seen yet. The movie looked so good on the giant widescreen we saw it on.
Old 06-17-07, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's all great news on the feedback...hopefully this clears Brad Bird to continue to make Pixar movies for a long time. Glad to see anything by him!
Old 06-17-07, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
glad to see that its a good movie. the trailers havent really grabbed me. i'm glad this isn't one of those 'lets see what dated in 6 months from now pop culutre joke' animated movies that are so frequent now a days.
Old 06-17-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
That's all great news on the feedback...hopefully this clears Brad Bird to continue to make Pixar movies for a long time. Glad to see anything by him!
He's golden as far as I'm concerned as well. He has that wonderful talent for making a movie that's engaging for both kids and adults. Him and Pixar are a wonderful pairing.
Old 06-17-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JPRaup
"Best Pixar film ever. Best animated film this year. Easily in the running for best film this year. I hate to use terms like pure magic, but when watching this film you can't stop smiling. Memles says it the best, Ratatouille might be the best example of everything Pixar stands for, great story, wonderful characters, classic non-referential humor, and in the end a heartwarming ending."
Sounds wonderful. I'll wait for the DVD, since I like my "best movie ever" experiences to not include dozens of screaming children throwing toy rats around the theater.
Old 06-17-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mdc3000
loved the movie, but was distracted because the print I saw was scratched to shit because an inexperience projectionist decided to screen it for himself last night...
I'm sure you'll be able to see the unscratched version of that print on bittorrent very soon...
Old 06-17-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You are probably right...what a bastard.
Old 06-17-07, 12:25 PM
Banned

Couple more commments:

"I just got back from seeing it.

Best. Pixar. Movie. Ever.

It was just so unique, funny, creative, entertaining than any other Pixar movie I've seen. The music was great, the voice actors really played their parts well. The theater was laughing, and it got everyone was clapping at the end. Wall-E didn't look too hot but then again the teaser was very short. Lifted was very un-Pixarish, but awesome none-the-less. Pixar has another classic on it's hands."

"Really amazing film. I LOVED it. I can't say anymore right now. It delivers big time."

"This movie is the BEST Animation movie I've ever seen. I think its the best movie this summer. Great rebound from Cars"

"Oh yeah, easily my favorite film of 2007 so far. Easily."

"Easily the movie of the year. CG production was nothing but fantastic, movie was great from beginning to end, very funny. Up there with Iron Giant. Brad Bird delivers again."

"This was probably my favorite Pixar movie. Relied more on facial expressions and actions than dialog for comedy. Great film. Really enjoyed the opener ("Lifted") as well."

"pixar does it again!
Best pixar movie yet.... great story, characters, humour (i lost it when the
Spoiler:
cheif first tried the ratatouille and it flashed back to his childhood
.... the short film before it was pretty good as well.. will definatley see this again when it opens"

Someone that didn't like it:

"Wow, I must be the odd man out here as I didn't love it as much as I would have hoped I would. I'm a bit let down coming out of the movie and maybe I just had way too high of hopes for it.

I'm a HUGE Pixar fan and will see anything they do the instant I see their name attached to it. In fact my ranking of best to worst, if there is such a thing as a worst Pixar movie, is:

1) Monster Inc
2) Toy Story
3) The Incredibles
4) Toy Story 2
5) Finding Nemo
6) Cars
7) Ratatouille
8) A Bug's Life

I just can't put my finger on what was wrong with it exactly. I didn't hate it, and I did enjoy a lot of parts of it. The CG was completely amazing and shows why Pixar is the master of CG. I absolutely loved the last 20 to 25 minutes of the movie. I loved the beginning of the movie as well. As a whole movie though, something just didn't come together right. Something in the middle. There were a few parts that dragged out a bit, the whole kiss just seemed kinda off. I don't know what else to say at the moment. I'm just disappointed a bit, and let down. I wish I could figure out what was wrong since I love Pixar so much and there were a lot of moments in the movie that were absolutely great, but I guess it's that it didn't pull together throughout the entire movie. I'll have to rewatch A Bug's Life as it's been a long time since I've seen it, but it might be the same feeling I got when I watched that movie."

"Saw it tonight, loved it. Everybody in the theater clapped at the end. I had a smile on my face for most of the movie. "

"Caught a screening of this last night. It was just amazing. Visually stunning, with a fantastic plot, and some great gags. Plus, I love food and cooking, so really, everything was great. It might be Pixar's best. I'm not sure yet"

my friend also wrote a review: http://memles.wordpress.com/2007/06/...s-ratatouille/
Old 06-17-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Put me in the category of loving it. Was it Pixar's best? Close, but no. Was it their funniest? No. But it was a nice change of pace from what others have said, face-paced humor, pop culture jokes, celeb-voiced characters (I know there's some, but not littered like most), the story was thankfully, mature-but still kid friendly, and that animation was astounding!! The hiar was animated so beautifully, a new bar has been set.

I think this blows "Cars" and "Nemo" away. If this sets up a new approach story-telling wise for Pixar, then I'm all up for "wall-E" and "UP".

Grade: B+
Old 06-17-07, 02:40 PM

I didn't think Pixar could possibly improve upon their already gorgeous animation, but they do with Ratatouille. This is the best looking CGI movie in existence. The fur effects on the rats alone were mindblowing (plus the rats were freaking adorable), not to mention the amazing computer rendered Paris. I'd rather visit this Paris than the actual one.

For a G rated movie, the story had a very mature feel to it. You could tell they weren't trying to pander to a young audience, as the script used many words and phrases that little kids probably wouldn't grasp. And I'm sure some of the plot details as well were over the heads of the younger kids (the idea of food critics, restaurant reputations, rightful heirs of fortunes, etc). This went way above and beyond the simple "Nemo tries to find his family" sort of thing we're used to seeing. This was more in line with The Incredibles for small plot nuances.

And this had one of the best plots so far for Pixar. I was gripped the whole way through. And the pacing was dead on. Many animated movies have a tendency to hit a lull about 2/3 of the way through. Not so with Ratatouille. It hit every note exactly when it needed to hit it. And I give the movie a lot of props for not having a 100% predictable ending. I thought I had it all figured out before it was over, but there are some interesting details in the last few minutes that really caught me off guard.
Spoiler:
Ego losing his job as a critic and losing all of his credibility due to his positive review, and Guestou's being closed down for health code violations. "Hey, after all there were rats in the kitchen."
I respect that a lot.

So yeah, great, great movie. Probably Pixar's best one yet. I'm still going over in my mind if I liked it more than The Incredibles. I think I did. Which is saying a lot, because I love that movie.

Everyone go see this opening day.
Old 06-17-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by caiman
I thought I had it all figured out before it was over, but there are some interesting details in the last few minutes that really caught me off guard.
Spoiler:
Ego losing his job as a critic and losing all of his credibility due to his positive review, and Guestou's being closed down for health code violations. "Hey, after all there were rats in the kitchen."
Yeah, that made me A complete 90 degree difference from the "typical" ending one would expect.

I expected to enjoy this flick (it's Pixar, man!) and was NOT disappointed. As someone that JPRaup quoted mentioned, for me, there is no such thing as a bad Pixar flick. And while Ratatouille might not rank as high as the other Pixar flicks, they're still in a category all their own.

If I had to it would be
  1. Finding Nemo
  2. Toy Story 2
  3. Cars
  4. Toy Story
  5. A Bug's Life
  6. Ratatouille
  7. the Incredibles
  8. Monsters Inc.
Old 06-17-07, 03:32 PM

With the exception of Cars (since I haven't seen it), here is how I would rate them, starting with the best:

1. Ratatouille
2. The Incredibles
3. Monsters, Inc.
4. Toy Story 2
5. Toy Story
6. Finding Nemo
7. A Bug's Life

Places 1 and 2 are VERY close. But Ratatouille wins by a... hair.
Old 06-17-07, 04:18 PM

I've loved every Pixar film, 'cept for Cars. Here's hoping this movie is a huge step up from Cars.
Old 06-17-07, 04:50 PM

Saw this last night.. wonderful, that's all I can say. While I'll probably have more fun watching The Incredibles and Finding Nemo repeatedly. I think this is my favorite Pixar film. While the studio has never been short of creativity, talent, and heart; as well as an overall absolute knowledge of their medium, Brad Bird has really added a weight to their ability to cartoon and animate effortlessly. There is such wonderful stuff in here, it's just great. Also, the score is my favorite of the year! Can't wait to see this again later this summer. I think this might be the film that, given whatever climate the war is in at the time, wins me over to Blu-Ray.. I loved it that much, and I've been a staunch supporter of what Toshiba's trying to do with HD-DVD. Anyway, just my two cents!
Old 06-17-07, 05:17 PM
Banned by request

This is Pixar's best film since Finding Nemo. I loved every second of it.
Old 06-17-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1. The Incredibles (A+)
2. Toy Story 2 (A)
3. Finding Nemo (A)
4. Ratatouille (A)
5. Monsters Inc. (B+)
6. Toy Story (B+)
7. A Bug's Life (B)
8. Cars (B-)
Old 06-17-07, 06:23 PM
Banned by request

There are also a ton of "blink and you'll miss it" sight gags.

Spoiler:
One good example is that when the main character is trying to decide where to hide the rat, he pulls open his pants and is wearing Incredibles underwear.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.