Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Place To Purchase Movie Posters

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know allposters.com has a pretty good collection but was looking for suggestions on other good places to pick up movie posters especially for indie flicks

thanks,
greg
Old 06-12-07, 10:42 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
personally I shop from Rick's Movie Graphics and Posters
Old 06-12-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use movieposter.com, but the majority of my posters have come from ebay.
Old 06-12-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think I've ever purchased a poster online. Odd, I've purchased many other things online....I guess I just like to see the actual size, be able to see the actual piece of paper I'm buying (it's condition etc.)

I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem doing it though, if I didn't think I could find the poster anywhere else.
Old 06-12-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My sole obscure poster came from the overpriced MovieGoods.com. Only place that had the beautiful Miller's Crossing poster to hang gallantly in my room.
Old 06-12-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've bought all mine from Ebay.
Old 06-12-07, 08:05 PM

Shipping sucks for poster sales online. I say try to find a place where you can buy 'em in person. Ask around.
Old 06-12-07, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Free shipping at allposters ends June 14. Use code SUMFUN
Old 06-13-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What are you looking for? An authentic one, a reprint, a certain size, a certain movie?
Old 06-13-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I was in Vegas last week and I went to an art gallery that had these amazing reproductions of posters. I don't remember where it was but it was in the Grand Canal Shops at the Venetian.

This place basically did full reproductions of movie posters using the same processes that they were created with in the 1930s and 1940s. They were expensive, but not ridiculously expensive. I think in the $300-$400 range.
Old 06-13-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Big Dave
What are you looking for? An authentic one, a reprint, a certain size, a certain movie?
I've always wondered, how can you tell the difference between an authentic, original movie poster and a reprint? Are there any distinguising marks? Do they use different ink or paper? Is there a way to get authentic posters at the time a film is released or do you have to "know someone"?
Old 06-13-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JackBurton
I've always wondered, how can you tell the difference between an authentic, original movie poster and a reprint? Are there any distinguising marks? Do they use different ink or paper? Is there a way to get authentic posters at the time a film is released or do you have to "know someone"?
Most movies posters from the early 90's onward are 28x40in in size and printed double-sided (a mirror image of the poster is printed on the back). This is expensive to do, so most reprints are only single-sided, and are sometimes not full-sized. Older posters might be 28x41 in size, and only single-sided, but they usually have a white border around the poster, and a code printed on the right-bottom part of the border. They used a thinner paper than newer posters, since they didn't have to be printed on both sides. Also, older posters were sent folded to the theaters, instead of rolled like they are now, so if you buying a poster from the mid-to-late 80's or older, make sure it has creases. It doesn't look as nice, but that's one of the ways you can tell it's legit.

Of course, if it's a particularly old or valuable poster, someone might make an intentional forgery. In that case, you probably would have to know somebody or be an expert yourself.
Old 06-13-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I never got the appeal of owning an original poster versus a reproduction. As long as the poster looks the same and is the same size, why not?
Old 06-13-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info, Joe!
Old 06-13-07, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4am outside the local theater. Screwdriver required.
Old 06-14-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JackBurton
Joe summed up things well. Usually size will be the biggest giveaway. There are reputable dealers that you can trust that you are getting the real deal from. I don't buy many anymore, but for new releases there is someone that I trust I buy from and I can usually get a decent price. They have an eBay store, so let me know if you want their username.

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I never got the appeal of owning an original poster versus a reproduction. As long as the poster looks the same and is the same size, why not?
Why does a person buy a comic book intead of a trade? It's just another collectible basically. If you want it to just hang up, then a reprint is probably fine.
Old 06-14-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There is a really excellent sale going on over at http://www.moviemarket.co.uk

They have a lot of really cheap stuff right now in promotion. I got Corpse Bride, Kung Fu Hustle, and Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! one sheets for $1.99 each with a flat shipping cost of $6.99
Old 06-14-07, 09:59 PM

i use ebay for most posters that are seen in movie theaters.....
Old 06-15-07, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by zombeaner

They have a lot of really cheap stuff right now in promotion. I got Corpse Bride, Kung Fu Hustle, and Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! one sheets for $1.99 each with a flat shipping cost of $6.99
Thanks for the tip, how long do they usually take to get items to American customers?
Old 06-15-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by zombeaner

Great deal, but keep in mind these prices are in sterling.
Old 06-15-07, 04:00 PM

I often get posters from Pix Poster Cellar:

http://www.pixposters.com/pix/index.cgi

They have a very good selection of posters, especially foreign movie posters. Shipping is $7.
Old 06-15-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here's a related question, where do you guys get frames? I don't want those super-cheap ones where all four sides are little plastic sticks that separate, but I don't want expensive ones either. I just want something that doesn't look like shit with a black border.