Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney signs Stan Lee to exclusive multi-year deal.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-06-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it'll be interesting to see what comes from this:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20853

Disney Signs First Look Deal with Stan Lee
Source: Walt Disney Studios
June 6, 2007

The Walt Disney Studios has entered into an exclusive multi-year first look deal with "Spider-Man" creator and producer Stan Lee and his production company POW! Entertainment, it was announced by Dick Cook, chairman, The Walt Disney Studios.

Under the terms of the agreement, Lee and his production company will develop and produce all forms of entertainment.

"As the father of such renowned comic book heroes as Spider-Man, The Hulk, X-Men among others, Stan is considered one of the most creative and inventive forces in the industry today. His innate talent of tapping into the human qualities of his super hero characters has certainly struck a chord with generations of audiences and readers around the world," stated Cook in making the announcement. "We are honored to be working with someone as formidable as Stan and his production company and welcome them to the Disney family."

"It's like the realization of a dream. Ever since I was a young boy, Disney represented the best and most exciting film fare to me. And now, many decades later, with movies such as their incredible Pirates of the Caribbean spectaculars, Disney is still at the forefront of family entertainment, excelling in live action, animation, TV, theme parks -- whatever it takes to bring fun and fantasy to audiences everywhere. I look forward with indescribable enthusiasm to being a part of that world and contributing whatever I can to keep the legend alive and growing," said Stan Lee, chairman of POW! Entertainment.

Oren Aviv, president, Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Production, added, "Stan Lee is a living legend in the world of pop culture and his characters and stories have been the inspiration for some of Hollywood's biggest blockbusters. We're very excited to be working with him and his talented team in creating some incredible new motion picture experiences. Stan has so many fantastic new ideas for films, and we can't wait to get started."

Bob Chapek, president, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, was instrumental in bringing this deal to Disney and will work closely with Lee on many of his projects.

Chapek said, "Stan is not only loved by fans of the genre, but is one of the most respected and admired figures in the entertainment industry. In fact, it's hard to think of another individual who has created as many memorable and appealing characters. We're thrilled that Stan has decided to make Disney his new home, and feel very fortunate to be collaborating with him on a wide range of new projects for all divisions of our company. His track record is impressive by any measure, and Home Entertainment is sure to benefit from his creations."

Gill Champion, POW! Entertainment, COO says, "There can be no better opportunity to perpetuate the Stan Lee/Pow! brand for all media than to be associated with the Disney Studio. No one better understands the incalculable value and importance of Developing, Producing, Distributing and Marketing new global franchises. We are incredibly impressed with the professionalism and valuable input from the executive and creative talent whom we now so eagerly join."
Old 06-06-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
"Multi-year" deal seems excessive when the man's 84 or so. And while I love the Man, he hasn't written or created much of note since about 1973.
Old 06-06-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe Disney will bring us a live action version?
Old 06-06-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Much Respect to Stan "the man" Lee, but his recent shit is well...shit.
Old 06-06-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Much Respect to Stan "the man" Lee, but his recent shit is well...shit.
My thoughts exactly, it's not like he can take all the Marvel characters with him.
Old 06-06-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Gotta love him tho. Stan can always get work no matter what kinda shit he produces.
Old 06-06-07, 07:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Disney got screwed.
Old 06-06-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Is Disney attached to any projects he has now?

I wonder if Disney will get involved in movies like Thor.
Old 06-06-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Has he ever stated his thoughts on Spidey 3?
Old 06-06-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Disney got screwed.

Ha, No kidding. All they will get out of him is some crazy absent minded loony running round the theme park screaming Excelsior.

Fuck that hack.
Old 06-07-07, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is indeed some odd news. The guy always seemed really nice but I assumed that he kind of sat back the last few years and really didn't do much other than these little cameos and interviews for DVD special features.
Old 06-07-07, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

doesnt stan lee have like only 2 years left in him
Old 06-07-07, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
The guy always seemed really nice but I assumed that he kind of sat back the last few years and really didn't do much other than these little cameos and interviews for DVD special features.
Who Wants To Be a Superhero? Season 2 July 25th on SciFi.
Old 06-07-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ha, No kidding. All they will get out of him is some crazy absent minded loony running round the theme park screaming Excelsior.

Fuck that hack.
Now there's a reason to go to Disney world!
Old 06-07-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whats with all the Stan bashing? Stan is the MAN!
Old 06-07-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess the folks at Disney didn't catch The Condor or Mosaic.
Old 06-07-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by thecrazydude
Whats with all the Stan bashing? Stan is the MAN!
Stan was the MAN!

Now he's just pathetic. He should stick to cameos.
Old 06-07-07, 07:46 PM
Banned

I've got to agree; Stan was one of the greatest and most prolific comic creators EVER....but the rest of his body of work (after the 60s and 70s) just is lame. He's a man whose style is no longer entertaining or relevant (except for re-reading the old stuff). If Stan were being truly honest with himself, he'd admit that, too.

But, hey, congrats to him. If anyone deserves legendary staus/accolades, it's Stan Lee.
Old 06-09-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I take it that the Disney execs never bothered to watch any of Stan Lee's recent work like Lightspeed and the Condor nor did they hear of the upcoming project of Ringo Starr as a superhero.

Still, it can't possibly be any worse than Disney's other attempts to segway into superhero movies.
Old 06-09-07, 08:45 PM
Suspended

Old 06-09-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
Stan was the MAN!

Now he's just pathetic. He should stick to cameos.

NO, Stan will ALWAYS be "The Man." For the work he did in the 60's alone he deserves the highest respect. Sure, he's old and somewhat out of touch, but we ALL will be at that age! Given what he's done in the past I'd at least give him the benefit of the doubt - he could come up with a really good idea among all the clunkers!
Old 06-09-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The work that he takes credit for while Ditka and Kirby got little to no attention about?

Yeah, the dude's a hack. There is no good idea left in him and is only going to produce clunkers.
Old 06-09-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
The work that he takes credit for while Ditka and Kirby got little to no attention about?

Yeah, the dude's a hack. There is no good idea left in him and is only going to produce clunkers.
Man, that's a lot of hostility towards someone you don't even know - over circumstances you have NO firsthand knowledge of.

Stan came up with a lot of ideas and character concepts - Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko gave those ideas form and color. No one's ever taken that away from them. The fact that they couldn't (or wouldn't) promote themselves the way Stan promoted himself isn't his fault.

Spider Man was totally Stan's baby - the nerdy teenager turned spider-powered superhero, that was all Stan. The F.F. - conceptually all stan. The Hulk - Stan's idea. Kirby turned it from a Frankenstein Monster meets Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde into something far greater, but it was Stan's idea initially. The idea of superheroes having everyday problems in their 'real' lives was Stan's idea, not Kirby's, and not Ditko's.

Stan Lee revolutionized Superhero comics. Did he have help? Of course he did - he'll tell you so. Did the media practically ignore Kirby and Ditko whenever Spider Man or Hulk items came up in the news? They sure did. Is that Stan's fault? What, did he PAY them not to contact Kirby or Ditko? No, Stan has a very likeable personality just made for TV appearances (or for quotes in the newspaper). From what I understand the same could never be said of Kirby and Ditko. Is it fair that Stan got more attention because he's got a better personality for the media? No, but it's not his fault.

Did he do anything to correct the media's glaring omissions of Kirby and Ditko's contributions? Not really, but he wasn't part of some conspiracy against them, either. He took advantage of the opportunities he was given, like most of us would have.

And, from what I understand, his work not too long ago for DC giving his spin on their characters was actually pretty good, suggesting that he still has some creative ability beyond that as a performer. He needs collaborators to help weed through the cliche'd stuff that he has a tendency towards, but he will come up with a few good ideas among the bad.

Whether or not this deal works out or not he earned the benefit of the doubt before most of us were born.
Old 06-10-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton

Ditka really doesn't deserve ANY attention for his contributions.

And watch the movies....I know Ditko's name is mentioned in the credits for Spider Man. Jack Kirby gets his credit where it's due as well.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0456158/

Ditko refuses to be in the public limelight for ANY of the publicity for Spider Man and Kirby is dead. So there you go.
Old 06-10-07, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kirby's estate, as mentioned earlier has been fighting the battle. Stan Lee is past the point of being relevant. He wont bring any good ideas to Disney because he has none left. Stripperella should have given that idea.

Yes, he made an impact on comics in the 60's. He stopped being even remotely interesting soon after that. Sorry true believers. He's got nothing left.

And, from what I understand, his work not too long ago for DC giving his spin on their characters was actually pretty good
No.. they really weren't. Do I appreciate the what he did to shape modern comics to what we have today? Sure. Do I also feel that he's long been past his stage of relevancy? Absolutely.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 06-10-07 at 01:30 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.