Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ridley Scott's American Gangster

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ridley Scott's American Gangster

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 10:32 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to see this movie last week and the freakin projector broke. I think there was only about 20 minutes of the movie left I was soo pissed off. However, I did like everything I had seen so far.
Old 11-15-07, 03:32 AM

I've heard that Carla Gugino is in this movie - does she have a big role?
Old 11-15-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

she walks around in a thong and she's topless in most of her scenes...and her scenes are in black & white...
Old 11-15-07, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
she walks around in a thong and she's topless in most of her scenes...and her scenes are in black & white...

Sin City....ahh....the memories. I even watched 'Night at the Museum' to see her.

How big a role does she have in American Gangster? Is she only onscreen for a few minutes?
Old 11-17-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Christi P
How big a role does she have in American Gangster? Is she only onscreen for a few minutes?
It's a very small supporting role.

I just got home from seeing this w/ my dad - we both loved it. ***** out of five.

I could have watched this all afternoon. It didn't feel like 2.5 hours at all.

Great performances from a top-notch cast.

I want to go see it again, just so I can sit there and relish every minute of it.

After it was over, my dad couldn't believe that he was initially hesitant to see it.
Old 11-20-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw this on Sunday with my gf and we both really enjoyed it. It really didn't feel like a Ridley Scott film. I don't know if that's because this is a different genre than he's used to (much like how Black Hawk Down doesn't feel like a Scott film since it's a war movie) or that he's moving away from his signature look since his brother apes his style so much he should be sued. My only real complaint was I felt the film should have focused more on Denzel's character. He was the focal point. I didn't really care to spend that much time with Crowe, learning about his child and divorce problems and how rough his life on the force is. IMO that role should have been played by a strong supporting actor and the film should have been carried solely by Denzel. It really felt like 2 separate films that only overlapped during the last 20 minutes or so. Other than that I thought it was an excellent film with great performances (Cuba Gooding in something that doesn't suck?!?!). I can't wait to pick up the HD DVD.
Old 11-20-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I saw this on Sunday with my gf and we both really enjoyed it. It really didn't feel like a Ridley Scott film. I don't know if that's because this is a different genre than he's used to (much like how Black Hawk Down doesn't feel like a Scott film since it's a war movie) or that he's moving away from his signature look since his brother apes his style so much he should be sued. My only real complaint was I felt the film should have focused more on Denzel's character. He was the focal point. I didn't really care to spend that much time with Crowe, learning about his child and divorce problems and how rough his life on the force is. IMO that role should have been played by a strong supporting actor and the film should have been carried solely by Denzel. It really felt like 2 separate films that only overlapped during the last 20 minutes or so. Other than that I thought it was an excellent film with great performances (Cuba Gooding in something that doesn't suck?!?!). I can't wait to pick up the HD DVD.
Totally agree!

I too felt more time should have been spent on "Frank" as opposed to the life choices of Crowe's character. It didn't spoil the movie for me but I could have definately used more film on the further exploits of Frank Lucas.
Old 11-20-07, 03:32 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by buckee1
I too felt more time should have been spent on "Frank" as opposed to the life choices of Crowe's character. It didn't spoil the movie for me but I could have definately used more film on the further exploits of Frank Lucas.
I thought that too, but after seeing it a second time, what we know about Frank is really all we need to know for the story to work.
Old 11-20-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I enjoyed it. But not enough to own it.
Old 11-20-07, 10:41 PM
Cool New Member

Soundtrack question - When the film ends, what song plays? I have listened to the soundtrack, but I dont think that song is on it. And not the Jay-Z album themed with the film, but the actual soundtrack to the film. Is there any way to find out? I have been looking around, but cant seem to find the answer. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-07, 11:46 PM

Public Enemy - Can't Truss It

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UildSeK2-8U&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UildSeK2-8U&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 11-21-07, 10:34 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
Public Enemy - Can't Truss It

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UildSeK2-8U&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UildSeK2-8U&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
The song is off Public Enemy's Apocalypse 91 The Enemy Strikes Black.
Old 11-25-07, 04:55 AM

Loved the movie, but after reading this:

Johnson was a former associate of mob boss Stephanie St. Clair. He was one of the leading organized criminals in Harlem to fight an unsuccessful war against Dutch Schultz, who incorporated the city's organized crime into the Jewish and Italian mobs of the day. He was later hired as an enforcer by the Genovese crime family to protect Mafia operations in Black neighborhoods against local Harlem criminals.

Johnson was arrested more than 40 times and would eventually serve three prison terms for narcotics-related charges before dying of a heart attack in 1968 at Harlem's Wells Restaurant. Frank Lucas claimed to be with Bumpy at his death, but Johnson's widow disputes this account and claims Lucas has exaggerated his relationship with Johnson. Lucas claims to have been mentored by Bumpy as his driver and enforcer of 15 years. [1] At the time of his death, Johnson's case was pending for another narcotics violation that could have earned him a possible fourth prison term.

While in prison Johnson studied philosophy and history. Johnson also wrote poetry, some of which was published during the Harlem Renaissance.[citation needed]

Once in December 1965, Johnson staged a sit-down strike in a police station, refusing to leave, as a protest against their continued surveillance. He was charged with "refusal to leave a police station" but was acquitted by a judge.
....I wish they would've made the film about Bumpy Johnson instead. His life seemed more interesting.

Another thing...am I the only who think Quentin Tarantino would made the film a bit more interesting had he directed it?
Old 11-25-07, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by OutRun2
Loved the movie, but after reading this:

....I wish they would've made the film about Bumpy Johnson instead. His life seemed more interesting.

Another thing...am I the only who think Quentin Tarantino would made the film a bit more interesting had he directed it?

I believe the movie Hoodlum is about Bumpy Johnson with Fishburne playing the role.
Old 12-18-07, 09:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by CurtisWade
I went to see this movie last week and the freakin projector broke. I think there was only about 20 minutes of the movie left I was soo pissed off. However, I did like everything I had seen so far.
Saw this tonight and quite enjoyed it.

My theater's projector didn't "break", but they had a weird malfunction a few minutes in. I saw the whole movie in open matte I guess. Saw boom mics every few minutes.

I have no idea how projectors work, despite dating a theater assistant manager once and hanging out in the theater all the time.

Can someone explain to me what happened? The theaters get the films open matte or whatever the proper term is, and then have to set up the projector to frame it properly?
Old 01-02-08, 05:25 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
great movie, great performances

Denzel is da man.
Old 01-02-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought this was a great movie also. To be over 2 hours the pacing seemed nice. I don't want many movies so when the 2 hour mark hits I'm generally ready for it to wrap up. I never thought this watching this flick.
Old 01-02-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkessenz
Saw this tonight, was pretty disappointed. I felt bored, and uninterested for a good portion of the movie. Some good moments included the "bad cops," the showdowns between Frank & competitors, and other misc scenes.

The script was terrible IMO, very perfunctory in many ways. I thought despite the script, the acting was good, not great. Also many side characters simply had no life/presence (wife, fellow cops, underbosses), and failed to flesh the story out. Instead we get a narrow look at Frank, and a narrow look at Crowe (who IMO upstaged Frank easily).

Overall, though, considering the shit that gets kicked out by hollywood...not bad.
+1...pretty much saved me from having to type out how I feel about the movie.

Just to add-on to the above. I found the dual looks at Denzel and Crowe redundant. Scott seemed to want to show us how compare/contrast these men, but that the themes of their lives were too similar. I would have preferred the film either been given entirely over to telling Frank's story in more detail or if Scott wanted to do the compare/contrast thing...to stretch it out and compare/contrast Denzel, Crow, Cuba, and Brolin. Brolin and Cuba were the best part of the film in my opinion. This movie could have been great with either just 1 "Star" or no "star."
Old 01-02-08, 12:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
My theater's projector didn't "break", but they had a weird malfunction a few minutes in. I saw the whole movie in open matte I guess. Saw boom mics every few minutes.

I have no idea how projectors work, despite dating a theater assistant manager once and hanging out in the theater all the time.

Can someone explain to me what happened? The theaters get the films open matte or whatever the proper term is, and then have to set up the projector to frame it properly?
Since we're bumping this thread, can anyone educate me on what happened at my showing?
Old 01-02-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Since we're bumping this thread, can anyone educate me on what happened at my showing?
I would guess that the projectionist misframed the film, hence the appearance of boom mikes every few minutes.
Old 01-03-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's very interesting, as I just assumed that the final cut of movies removed boom mics.

So, boom mics are always technically visible in films, it's just the way the projectionist frames the film that doesn't allow us to see them???
Old 02-10-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to wonder how much different this film would be if Antoine Fuqua directed it. (Fuqua was supposed to direct it with Washington, but the studio decided to make a big deal out of the film and wanted an A-list director) Ridley Scott is obviously the far superior director but I think Fuqua would've made a better picture. Likely Fuqua would've been able to get more out of Denzel Washington than his phoned in performance. This wasn't a Russell Crowe film, this was Washington's, it was very African-American centric and likely would've benefited with an African-American director.
Old 02-10-08, 08:27 PM

^^^ I actually think it was both of their movie. I thought Crowe's role was just as important, as it showed the only kind of guy who was capable of taking down Lucas. That's what I took from his role anyway.
Old 03-04-08, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just watched the director's cut. Has anyone compared it to the theatrical? I didn't think it went far from the complaints in this thread except that the Roberts characters seemed pretty minimal compared to Lucas' screen time in the DC.
Old 04-27-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
For anyone interested, the link below is a Charlie Rose Show with the main two main players.

http://www.charlierose.com/guests/richie-roberts

Also an article on Lucas from 2000.

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/people/features/3649/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.