DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Weekend Box Office 6/1-6/3 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/502319-weekend-box-office-6-1-6-3-a.html)

Mr. Cinema 06-02-07 10:44 AM

Weekend Box Office 6/1-6/3

FRIDAY'S NUMBERS, from Showbizdata:

1. PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLDS END BVI 4,362 13,390,000 3,070 -69% 186,746,000
2. KNOCKED UP UNIVERSAL 2,871 9,945,000 3,464 n/a 9,945,000
3. SHREK THE THIRD DREAMWORK 4,109 7,478,000 1,820 -48% 235,347,000
4. MR. BROOKS MGM 2,453 3,012,000 1,228 n/a 3,012,000
5. SPIDER-MAN 3 SONY 3,402 1,997,000 587 -48% 312,752,000
6. WAITRESS FOX SEARCHLIGHT 605 561,000 927 -27% 7,973,000
7. GRACIE PICTURE HOUSE 1,164 418,000 359 n/a 418,000
8. BUG LIONS GATE 1,661 404,000 243 -63% 5,282,000
9. 28 WEEKS LATER FOX ATOMIC 1,121 361,000 322 -48% 25,738,973
10. DISTURBIA PARAMO0UNT 1,035 350,000 338 -34% 75,944,808

JPRaup 06-02-07 10:49 AM

nice, Knocked Up isn't doin too bad

maingon 06-02-07 11:29 AM

Glad to see Knocked up doing well. Great movie. Too bad for Pirates looks like a drop, I loved that one too. I think having 3 big movies coming out is gonna hurt them domestically. The movies dont have time to breath. they are competing with a big movie every week almost. None have been flops or anything, but if they spaced these movies out more, maybe if they released Shrek and pirates apart further it would of benifited both. you have 2 big family flicks competing, 3 if you count Spidey. Pirates is doing excellent worldwide though.

chris_sc77 06-02-07 11:45 AM

Looks like Costner wont be getting to make that Mr Brooks sequel/trilogy he talked about...

Supermallet 06-02-07 12:13 PM

It'll be interesting to see if Knocked Up can end up on top this weekend. Personally, I enjoyed Pirates more.

The Bus 06-02-07 12:51 PM

We get it, you didn't like Knocked Up. :)

I went to see it again this morning (a 10 am show) and was surprised there were a lot of people in the theatre (considering the time).

Knocked Up is actually doing really well considering nobody knows who the stars are.

Mr. Cinema 06-02-07 12:59 PM

Yeah, Knocked Up appears to be headed towards a $30 million opening. Not bad for a R-rated comedy with no major leads. The 40-Year-Old Virgin only had a $21 million opening. Knocked Up's production budget is also only $30 million.

Matthew Chmiel 06-02-07 01:49 PM

Hey, it's the first time in weeks there's some actual decent films in the top five. :thumbsup:

[I kid. Spider-man 3 and Disturbia were entertaining.]

Ouch about Pirates. I want to say that it should see a nice jump this weekend, but after being wrong about Shrek the past two weekends, that'll probably not happen.

Arpeggi 06-02-07 01:56 PM

:up: at the 69% drop for that 3 hour garbage fest

RichC2 06-02-07 02:11 PM

Most places projected mid-to-high teens for Knocked Up, nice to see that proven wrong. It was expected to come in 3rd as well, so hopefully it'll stay ahead of Shrek 3.

islandclaws 06-02-07 02:28 PM

I love seeing smaller films knock these bloated overly-long turds :Shrek: out of the top spots. I never had any interest in seeing Knocked Up, but now I think I'll go check it out thanks to good word of mouth.

Joe Molotov 06-02-07 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I love seeing smaller films knock these bloated overly-long turds :Shrek: out of the top spots. I never had any interest in seeing Knocked Up, but now I think I'll go check it out thanks to good word of mouth.

They've been hyping Knocked Up like it's the biggest movie of the year. I'm pretty sure I've seen the commercial for it on TV over the last month more than Shrek 3, Pirates 3, and Spider-Man 3 combined. Also, it's pretty much the same length as Spider-Man 3, at 2 hours 9 minutes long.

Seantn 06-02-07 04:21 PM

I've seen the trailers/tv spots for Knocked Up at least 3 times more than any other film this summer. It has been attached to almost every single film i've seen for the past few months.

islandclaws 06-02-07 05:15 PM

Ok, ok... what I meant was it's nice to see a film that isn't a mega blockbuster doing good business over the over-hyped films of the month.

Also I don't really watch TV much so I haven't seen a single thing on Knocked Up other than that poster.

Mr. Cinema 06-02-07 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Most places projected mid-to-high teens for Knocked Up, nice to see that proven wrong. It was expected to come in 3rd as well, so hopefully it'll stay ahead of Shrek 3.

Shrek will probably have a better Saturday, so it'll be close once the numbers are in. I'm just glad an R-rated movie is in the top 5 again.

Jackskeleton 06-02-07 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
They've been hyping Knocked Up like it's the biggest movie of the year. I'm pretty sure I've seen the commercial for it on TV over the last month more than Shrek 3, Pirates 3, and Spider-Man 3 combined. Also, it's pretty much the same length as Spider-Man 3, at 2 hours 9 minutes long.

What you see and what is reality are two different things altogether. Remember. For Pirates and Shrek they automatically get more hype with children's toy's, happy meals and other product placement. And you can't tell me that you've seen more ads for Knocked up than you have for either shrek or Pirates. Let alone toss in Spider-man 3.

Shit. look at batteries. You have a shrek head right in your face. Spider-man products everywhere.

The one thing that Knocked up has going for it is that the 40 year old virgin was huge and had excellent legs. Tag on the line that this is from the same folks and you got yourself what happened with Austin Powers. Rentals and the home market for 40 year old was enough reason for folks to want to see this.

It will have great legs.

Mr. Cinema 06-02-07 08:38 PM

Yep, 40-Year-Old Virgin opened to $21 million, yet finished earning 5x that number, which is extremely rare these days. Aside from Ocean's 13 next weekend, I don't see much in terms of comedic competition for Knocked Up.

Hokeyboy 06-02-07 10:29 PM

Knocked Up was more entertaining than SPIDEY, SHREK, and PIRATES combined. I hope it does really well.

Joe Molotov 06-02-07 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
What you see and what is reality are two different things altogether. Remember. For Pirates and Shrek they automatically get more hype with children's toy's, happy meals and other product placement. And you can't tell me that you've seen more ads for Knocked up than you have for either shrek or Pirates. Let alone toss in Spider-man 3.

Shit. look at batteries. You have a shrek head right in your face. Spider-man products everywhere.

Oh, I'm not saying that Knocked Up had more hype than Pirates, Shrek, or Spider-Man. I'm just saying, this isn't like some indie film that no one's ever heard that suddenly rocketed up the charts. They've basically positioned this movie to be this year's Wedding Crashers or 40 Year Old Virgin or There's Something About Mary, aka The One R-Rated Comedy of the Summer That Rakes in $100-200 Million.

Jackskeleton 06-02-07 11:50 PM

Hey, your words

They've been hyping Knocked Up like it's the biggest movie of the year.
And I'll disagree with that when you have Spider-man, Pirates, Shrek, Harry Potter and a slew of other films.

Yeah, Knocked up was the hyped R rated comedy of the year. But your words never stated that in the original post.

Followed by this:

I'm pretty sure I've seen the commercial for it on TV over the last month more than Shrek 3, Pirates 3, and Spider-Man 3 combined.
Again, that is a silly statement when you have the mass amounts of marketing for any of those other films you listed. A more correct statement would be it was a heavily hyped R-rated comedy of the last two or three weeks. Then again, every movie gets a push in their advertisements the two weeks prior to release.

Joe Molotov 06-03-07 01:10 AM

And I'll disagree with that when you have Spider-man, Pirates, Shrek, Harry Potter and a slew of other films.

Yeah, Knocked up was the hyped R rated comedy of the year. But your words never stated that in the original post.

I just meant hyped up by the studio based on the number of TV spots I've seen for it. Obviously, sequels have built-in hype based on the previous movies. And obviously the Big 3 have more marketing cross-over potential, like videogames and books and crap. I have seen the Spider-Man/Burger King commercial alot.

Again, that is a silly statement when you have the mass amounts of marketing for any of those other films you listed. A more correct statement would be it was a heavily hyped R-rated comedy of the last two or three weeks. Then again, every movie gets a push in their advertisements the two weeks prior to release.
What can I say, I've seen the TV spots for the Big 3 a about 3 or 4 times each, and seen a TV spot for Knocked Up at least once a day for the last two or three weeks, or at least that's what it seems like, I'm not keeping a perfect count. Maybe I just watch different shows than everyone else, but anyway, basically what I was trying to get at originally but didn't quite get across was that I don't really see this as a victory over Hollywood blockbusters, when I think Hollywood was already expecting blockbuster status for this movie.

The Cow 06-03-07 01:41 AM

Around here at least *Ohioish and area*, as far as TV ads....

Shrek, Spiderman, and Pirates are not getting exposure. They don't need it.

But damn! Knocked Up is getting a ton of TV commercial time. I thought the flick was okay, and it probably needed the exposure to get people to see it, but yeah, it's getting way more airtime than any of the big 3 TV-wise.

Jackskeleton 06-03-07 01:43 AM

Projections for this film were in the high teens. They figured that without a big star in the role with Carrell not being in this that it would get around 17-18.

By Brian Fuson

June 1, 2007
After a month of high-octane, A-list tentpoles, the North American boxoffice gets a breather of sorts this session as not one sequel enters the marketplace. It will be a brief respite, however, as Warner Bros. Pictures' "Ocean's Thirteen" hits theaters June 8.

Theater counts for the weekend's new films are coming down to earth; not one of the frame's three new wide releases will be in more than 3,000 locations. It's a far cry from the unprecedented heights of the past four weeks, when the top films were playing in or opened in more than 4,000 theaters apiece.

Overall, Buena Vista Pictures' "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" will hold on to the top spot, followed by Paramount Pictures' "Shrek the Third" from DreamWorks Animation. The new wide opener "Knocked Up" from Universal Pictures most likely will finish third, ahead of Sony Pictures' "Spider-Man 3."

"Knocked Up" arrives in 2,871 theaters as an alternative to the plethora of sequels nationwide and in Canada. The film is written and directed by Judd Apatow, who also directed Universal's "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" and was a producer on Sony Pictures' "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" and Universal's "Kicking & Screaming."

"Virgin" opened in August 2005 to a respectable $21.4 million, found its legs and went on to generate $109.2 million by the time it left theaters in December -- a nice run, especially by today's standards. "Virgin" also was an R-rated film that appealed to a demographic similar to the one "Knocked Up" is eyeing.

Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl (ABC's "Grey's Anatomy") star in the romantic comedy, which centers on an up-and-coming entertainment journalist (Heigl) who becomes pregnant after a drunken one-night stand with a lovable slacker (Rogen). She decides to give him a chance, and he faces the question of whether he will hit the road or stay with the mom-to-be.

"Knocked Up" will appeal largely to males and females in the 18-34 demo but could find a wider audience as early polling has found interest across the board.

Industry observers think the film should open in the high-teen millions. The distributor is hoping the film has legs along the lines of "Virgin."

MGM's "Mr. Brooks," a crime drama about the destructive path of a violent serial killer (Kevin Costner), debuts in 2,453 theaters this weekend. The R-rated feature, co-starring William Hurt and Demi Moore and directed by Bruce A. Evans, is expected to arrive at the boxoffice in the $10 million range.

The only other wide release is Picturehouse's "Gracie," which bows in 1,164 theaters. The film, inspired by a true story, is set in the 1970s and centers on a teenage girl who fights to play on the boys' varsity soccer team after the tragic death of her soccer champion brother. She ultimately wins the right for girls everywhere to play.

Elisabeth Shue, Dermot Mulroney and Carly Schroeder star in the family-friendly inspirational sports drama. The PG-13 film is directed by Davis Guggenheim.

More specialized fare is hoping to cash in this weekend as a host of limited releases hit theaters.

IDP/Destination Films/Samuel Goldwyn Films' "Rise: Blood Hunter" will be in 25 theaters; Fox Searchlight's "Day Watch" will be in five locations; Magnolia Pictures' "Crazy Love" will have three engagements; IFC First Take's "Pierrepoint: The Last Hangman" will unspool in three houses; and Palm Pictures' "Ten Canoes" will be in limited release in New York.
Box office mojo was projecting around 22 million
http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/col...0&columnpage=1

So even if it was hyped up making more than 40 year old virgin's first weekend of 21 million is great news. Who said it was some sort of knock on Blockbusters? This is just a good example of a well accepted film by reviewers going over well with the masses.

Hell, just look at the freshness level of this on rotten tomatoes. Lets see any of the block busters so far get that good of a rating.

The Cow 06-03-07 01:51 AM

Hell, just look at the freshness level of this on rotten tomatoes. Lets see any of the block busters so far get that good of a rating.

$$$ >> ratings

Still, it's doing just fine. So are the blockbusters. Not sure where the argument lies anymore. I don't think there should be one.

Jackskeleton 06-03-07 02:06 AM

I suppose the only answer to that would be

Quality /= $$$$

The argument was that this wasn't anything special and was expected. But the film was estimated to only do slightly below what 40 year old did and so far it's expecting to make a good 8 million more than that WITHOUT any major actors. That's not something to dismiss so easily.