DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Jodie Foster goes "Dirty Harry" & "Kill Bill"... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/502240-jodie-foster-goes-dirty-harry-kill-bill.html)

JimRochester 09-20-07 12:59 PM

Maybe she didn't totally avoid it. In the old days she would have gotten off the subway. They needed to show her looking for trouble

matrixrok9 09-21-07 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by JaxComet
I was thinking the same thing as this review comment....

Spoiler:
"One has to wonder, though, how a woman who has lived in New York City for any length of time has avoided any semblance of crime for so long, yet runs into instance after instance in quick succession."

Spoiler:
This might be far fetched but it could be that she was still in a coma and everything after the first attack was a dream/nightmare. The way she was put in those situations seemed pretty far fetched.

If it wasn't a dream, I would have preferred that Erica died at the end. For me, she should have shot the thug and Howard also shoots and kills her. That way, the movie ends in a note telling the audience that revenge/grudge will put an end to your life(symbolically or literally) and that there are still good guys in this violent world we live in.

Trevor 09-22-07 12:56 AM

Just saw it, too tired to be all that coherent.

I don't think I liked it that much. It wasn't bad, but I don't see how anyone would want to watch it more than once. It brings nothing new to the vigilante genre imo.

And Jodie just played the same character she always plays. Good, but Oscar?

Tarantino 02-17-08 01:41 AM

Saw it today. Honestly, I can't believe anyone liked this movie. It was horrible.

My friend and I watched it and laughed along with the horrible plot. The scene where the girl text messages
Spoiler:
Jodie the video of her and her husband being beaten? We laughed out loud. Come on...the girl had a copy? On her cell phone? And just decided to text message it to her?

Out of all of the cops and detectives in New York, Terrance Howard just happens to be the same cop called to every scene of every murder? Okay.

Jodie Foster goes into the police station and says "I'd like to report a murder." Cop says..."what's the name?"..."Erica Bain."...(cop looks it up)..."Nope, not in here!"..."It should be...just kidding, nevermind, I'm going to leave now". The cop lets her leave like..."Okay, see ya!". Fucking ridiculous.

You guys seriously saw past all of this shit?

From me, it gets an 'F'.

= J

stingermck 02-17-08 08:22 AM

I really liked it. She was just so damn cold in her killings. No pause, or talking, just BAM. I enjoyed it more that Death Sentence. Kevin Bacon's character could've taken notes from her, rather than being a pussy for 90% of the movie.

Michael Corvin 05-01-08 08:21 AM

Finally watched this last night and really enjoyed it. I too thought the ending was kind of a cop-out. The way the movie is set up though, you couldn't have a happy ending and the only other way would be a complete downer(i.e. if Mercer did the right thing). I really enjoyed Foster, she was so cold and calculated. I didn't have a problem with her relationship with Naveen Andrews either. He was only in a couple scenes so there wasn't much time for them to get much going anyway.

I was wondering how the original mugging could be pulled off so effective since we are used to Naveen kicking so much ass as Sayid, but it was a damn brutal and very effective scene.

I never thought it was coincidental that she was running into so many crimes. It seemed the first at the convenient store could have been, but after that she went looking for trouble. I thought they made that fairly clear with her measuring the decibel levels of various parts of town. Parts of town where a gunshot could be easily disguised. To that end, the film gave me an Unbreakable vibe. Her slowly turning into a vigilante superhero set in the real world.

mmconhea 05-01-08 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tarantino
You guys seriously saw past all of this shit?

From me, it gets an 'F'.

= J

Same here. One of the worst movies I saw all year. Little to no action, horrible plot, pretty much every over-played cop-movie film cliche, and dialog no one would ever speak. My wife turned to me half-way through the film and asked "was this directed by NRA lawyers?"