Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jodie Foster goes "Dirty Harry" & "Kill Bill"...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jodie Foster goes "Dirty Harry" & "Kill Bill"...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-07, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
It’s nice too see that Sayid found some work after he got off the island.
Dude can you like, spoiler tag that shit next time, please? I haven't seen season 3 yet.

And Jodie Foster's not gay. I know because:

Spoiler:
I slept with her
Old 09-09-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OutRun2
Dude can you like, spoiler tag that shit next time, please? I haven't seen season 3 yet.

And Jodie Foster's not gay. I know because:

Spoiler:
I slept with her
Sorry, it’s fixed. I usually try to careful with not spoiling anything for someone, my bad.
Old 09-09-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Loved the "I want my dog back," line.
Some people are so unsophisticated.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: There's a rallying moment in The Brave One when you stick a gun in a bad guy's face and say, ''I want my dog back.'' How are you going to feel about the audience cheering on your character as she starts hunting people down?
JODIE FOSTER: It's shameful, but that's human and that's who we are as human beings. There will be unsophisticated people who see a sophisticated movie. Just like there were in The Accused. And thank God I only went to one screening of that movie with an audience. ... They cheered the rape. It was awful. And that wasn't an isolated event. It happened all over the country. But I don't think you can legislate your audience. If you're going to make a movie that explores dramatic violence, do you change it because you're worried that people aren't going to take it properly?
Cheer any rapes lately Dr. D?

Entertainment Weekly interview.There's also this gem:

What do you think is the larger social commentary of The Brave One, which in some ways plays as a straight-up Dirty Harry revenge movie?
Here's my commentary: I don't believe that any gun should be in the hand of a thinking, feeling, breathing human being. Americans are by nature filled with rage-slash-fear. And guns are a huge part of our culture. I know I'm crazy because I'm only supposed to say that in Europe. But violence corrupts absolutely.
(mild spoiler)
Spoiler:
By the end of this, her transformation is complete. ''F--- all of you, now I'm just going to kill people with my bare hands.''
Old 09-09-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Heh, I was wondering if her comments would make their way here. Anyone hear her painful rendition of eminem's lose yourself? Like most actors, I'll try and forget about the actual person and just enjoy their work. (though it's easier for some than others)

Still, I wonder what the actual message will be for this film. Will she be right in taking matters into her own hands or will she be remorseful about them? Curious to see what you all have to think, I don't plan on catching this one in theaters.
Old 09-14-07, 05:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
i saw this today. not bad, but i thought it would be a more seering and controversial. it was kinda typical revenge saga, more on a realistic level. i didn't like the end however and thought it was a huge cop out!

Spoiler:
Howard's character was so morally righteous through the whole movie that i really thought she would get arrested and thus be a switch from the typical "they get away with it" vigilante drama.

all in all, not bad for an outing, just wish there was more.
Old 09-14-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
I saw it this afternoon and enjoyed it. Foster is as solid as usual. Erica Bain is no Paul Kersey, but she did kick some serious ass.

Good performances overall.

B+
Old 09-14-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Holy shit. I've never seen reviews drop for a movie like this....ever. It was at 100% on RT for a few days (sure, only had about 10). Then something like 83%. Now it's at 44%. I love Foster, Terrence Howard and Neil Jordan, so I'm all over this.
Old 09-15-07, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Holy shit. I've never seen reviews drop for a movie like this....ever. It was at 100% on RT for a few days (sure, only had about 10). Then something like 83%. Now it's at 44%. I love Foster, Terrence Howard and Neil Jordan, so I'm all over this.
Why are the reviews dropping?
Old 09-15-07, 07:35 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Originally Posted by OutRun2
Why are the reviews dropping?
perhaps some people don't like it
Old 09-15-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it last night. I thought it was OK. The 2 hours kind of flew by. No chemistry with her husband (the actor on the TV show, Lost?) I thought it was just too coincidental that she was in one crime after another. The audience I sat with were applauding the outcome of the subway scene as well as the scene where she seeks revenge. It surprised me and kind of shocked me. I couldn't help but to think the criminals' races were possibly a factor in the applause.

The ending did surprise me though. This is a movie that lets you decide how you feel about innocent people who fight back. Was she at peace at the end? No one will know.

The audience were given a survey for this movie. First time I was asked for my opinion (in the form of a survey) of a movie.

Last edited by big whoppa; 09-15-07 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-15-07, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by big whoppa
I saw it last night. I thought it was OK. The 2 hours kind of flew by. I thought it was just too coincidental that she was in one crime after another. The audience I sat with were applauding the outcome of the subway scene as well as the scene where she seeks revenge. I couldn't help but to think the criminals' races were possibly a factor in the applause. The ending did surprise me though. This is a movie that lets you decide how you feel about innocent people who fight back. Was she at peace at the end? No one will know.

The audience were given a survey for this movie. First time I was asked for my opinion (in the form of a survey) of a movie.
In the begining of the movie I thought what no blacks as thugs?
Is this going to be a p.c. movie , because Jodie Foster a hard core liberal is in it?
But the movie does have black, white & hispanic thugs.
The movie is more DEATH WISH than DIRTY HARRY as the thread says.
It was a good movie.
I was thinking when Jodie Foster gotthis script she should have thought this movie could pass as TAXI DRIVER 2. The cop could have been replaced by Travis Bickel.
Old 09-15-07, 05:09 PM

I enjoyed this movie a lot. I think the script wasn't the greatest thing in the world, but the subtle direction and the acting skills of the two leads really sold it to me. Jodie Foster and Terrence Howard had really good chemistry together. This was a great movie going experience to be sure.

That Jodie Foster.. if she plays her cards right may just have a career in the acting business.

Last edited by onebyone; 09-15-07 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-15-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Overall, the film plays a little too mundane in terms of pacing, but a good character-driven film nonetheless. Jodie Foster is probably a shoo-in for a Best Actress AA nomination with her taut performance as Erica Bain, a radio show personality, who is a victim of a vicious assault in Central Park, and her fiance doesn't survive the assault, leaving Erica to deal the aftermath of such a life-changing event.

While Foster's performance is first-rate, the script plays it a little too cute and close to the vest with the relationship that develops between Erica and Det. Mercer, played by Terrance Howard who is up to the task of playing against Foster, as he investigates a few acts of vigilante justice (by Erica).

The conclusion plays a little too straight, offering less in surprise, and stays with a somewhat cathartic resolution that doesn't quite satisfy, and keeps with the theme of tragedy unable to provide a complete catalyst to the inner pain and turmoil Erica suffers, leaving an indelible mark on her psyche and sense of justice, pushing her boundaries of acceptable response to a world where a precious relationship could be undone in a split second, leaving a hole in one's heart that's unable to be filled by conventional means.

I give this film 2.75 stars or a grade of B-.
Old 09-15-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Foster's character is basically a female Travis Bickle, albeit smarter. Very sympathetic despite her actions.

Nice use of Sarah McLaghlan's "Answer."

Neil Jordan is a solid helmer and Philippe Rousselot is a strong cinematographer but The Brave One just doesn't quite hit the mark. Mainly, I think, it's because the love between Foster and Naveen Andrews is so thinly sketched.

Last edited by Finisher; 09-16-07 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-16-07, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I overheard some guy in the audience saying their had to be an alternate ending because he didn't like how the movie ended.
Old 09-16-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Finisher
Nice use of Sarah Mclaughlin's "Answer."
Getting to hear Sarah McLachlan's "The Answer" in a nice theatrical sound setup was a nice bonus. That's a luscious song.
Old 09-16-07, 09:12 AM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by big whoppa
No chemistry with her husband (the actor on the TV show, Lost?)
That doesn't surprise me. Jodie Foster is a lesbian in real life. Can you name ONE movie she was in where she had a love interest that she had real "chemistry" with. I can't!
Old 09-17-07, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
Saw this on Friday and I liked the film overall, especially the performances by Foster & Howard.

My 2 problems with the movie are Foster's too easy descent into a vigilante (just one frustrated trip to the police waiting room and she turns) and the strain on credibility of her facing three crimes in a short period of time.

And the movie definitely plays like a female "Death Wish", especially the first part of the film.
Old 09-17-07, 11:43 AM

I went and saw this yesterday and can't say enough about how good of a movie it was and Jodie better win the Oscar for this one!

This is her best one since Silence of the Lambs - IMO.

She seems to do real well in a role where she is by herself - not rescuing or protecting a kid or dealing with other leads.

I really enjoyed the premise of the movie, and yeah, while some of this movie was a bit far-fetched, it is after all, based on fiction and purely for entertainment and I thought it was well-done.

I already spotted a few scenes in the movie that I could see deleted scenes being on the DVD (hopefully!).

I'm really looking forward to when the DVD comes out and adding this one to my collection - and have fingers crossed for extras (mainly deleted scenes) on it!
Old 09-17-07, 12:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
granted the Uptown's presentations are inconsistent - V for Vendetta and Dreamgirls looked great - others like this one seemed quite lacking - granted the probable intended cinematography was a dark, green tinged film it looked bad on a really big screen as the Uptown's. However, the soundmix was quite impressive. As for the film itself, I thought for the genre, it was pretty predictable. Not bad, but not great either.
Old 09-17-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
My worst problem with this movie is that the ending really sold out
Spoiler:
Terence Howard's character. They said he had certain standards, and then at the end he totally went against them.
Old 09-17-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ginwen
My worst problem with this movie is that the ending really sold out
Spoiler:
Terence Howard's character. They said he had certain standards, and then at the end he totally went against them.
Just goes to show you we don't live in a world that's either all black or all white.
Old 09-17-07, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought this was a very good movie movie, however it did lean more towards drama than a thriller or kickass revenge movie.

Agree the chemistry was lacking between the couple but I imagine that it was so the audience could believe there was something more developing between Howard and Foster.

PS; quite a few lesbians in the audience. I wonder why

One of my favorite lines ever was in DW2

Paul Kersey to thug wearing a crucifix: You believe in Jesus?
Thug puts his hand on crucifix: Yes I do
Kersey: Well you're gonna meet him BOOM
Old 09-17-07, 10:01 PM

It was actually part comedy too, since T Howard's partner's cracks at the scenes of the crimes got a rise out of the audience I was sitting with. A few laughs here and there during the movie.

I didn't notice any other lesbians but myself at the theater I was at - but I live in Central Texas - outside of Austin, which may explain that!
Old 09-20-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was thinking the same thing as this review comment....

Spoiler:
"One has to wonder, though, how a woman who has lived in New York City for any length of time has avoided any semblance of crime for so long, yet runs into instance after instance in quick succession."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.