Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Wrath of Khan" continuity?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-29-07, 05:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

In the movie when Chekov and Terrel meet Khan, Khan said they were sent to Ceti Alpha V by Kirk "15 years ago". This Trek takes place in the 23rd Century, thus 2200's.

But, he also says when Kirk found him and crew (in "Space Seed" episode) it was 1996.

Is the dialogue wrong or did I miss something? And did anyone else notice this even?
Old 05-29-07, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't remember the exact dialogue, but I think 1996 was when Kahn and his crew left earth. The real continuity problem is Kahn says he remembers Chekov, but Chekov didn't join the show until the season after Space Seed.
Old 05-29-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Right, they left Earth in 1996, floated around in stasis for a while and then Kirk found them 15 years prior to their current meeting in the movie.
Old 05-29-07, 08:52 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Originally Posted by SteelWill
I don't remember the exact dialogue, but I think 1996 was when Kahn and his crew left earth. The real continuity problem is Kahn says he remembers Chekov, but Chekov didn't join the show until the season after Space Seed.
Well, that's debatable. In S2 when Checkov joins, there is never any indication that he's brand new. He's sort of just there one day. Like how Ralphie shows up in Sopranos all of a sudden, even though he was there in the background all along. It could be argued that Checkov was there all along and he just was never on "camera" during S1.
Old 05-29-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts
^ yeah.

I mean we're talking continuity and tv integrity about a show from the 60s when all of those were really foreighn ideas. Sure they probably should have reversed Sulu and Chekov roles in II to clear things up, but I don't really see it as that large of an issue.
Old 05-29-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There's a time continuity problem within that scene where Khan "reunites" with Chekov. He says "on Earth, 200 years ago, [he] was a prince with power over millions." That would place him on Earth in the late 21st century, not 1996. Then again the original series seemed to hint at times that it took place in the 22nd, not 23rd, century. They never could get that straight.

One thing I found funny was that Khan ruled 25% of the planet from 1992 to 1996 during the Eugenics Wars which Spock said pushed civilization back to nearly the dark ages, yet in Star Trek IV when the crew arrives in 1986 San Francisco, there seems to be no hint of any pending war.
Old 05-29-07, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadow
Well, that's debatable. In S2 when Checkov joins, there is never any indication that he's brand new. He's sort of just there one day. Like how Ralphie shows up in Sopranos all of a sudden, even though he was there in the background all along. It could be argued that Checkov was there all along and he just was never on "camera" during S1.
It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that Chekov was one of the unseen 400 or so crewmembers aboard the Enterprise when the found the Botany Bay.

And then, sometime shortly after, he got a promotion to the bridge.

Always seemed like a non-issue to me.
Old 05-29-07, 11:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They invented earwigs by the time Night Gallery came out. They couldn't cure earwigs before Night gallery?!?
Old 05-30-07, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadow
Walter Koening (and other cast members) tell a great story when asked this by fans:

Apparantly when Khan was aboard the Enterprise (in Space Seed) he ate some bad food and came down with a horrible case of what can politely be referred to as "Montezuma's Revenge". He desperately needs to use the Enterprise's facilities, but they're occupied. Finally, the crew member using them exits...and it's Chekov. Khan looks at him and says "Your face...Your face I will NEVER forget!!"
Old 05-30-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Walter Koening (and other cast members) tell a great story when asked this by fans:

Apparantly when Khan was aboard the Enterprise (in Space Seed) he ate some bad food and came down with a horrible case of what can politely be referred to as "Montezuma's Revenge". He desperately needs to use the Enterprise's facilities, but they're occupied. Finally, the crew member using them exits...and it's Chekov. Khan looks at him and says "Your face...Your face I will NEVER forget!!"
Now that I believe!
Old 05-30-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Also, didn't Khan read and memorize the entire crew's record and photo on that bedside reader doohickey in sick bay.
Old 05-30-07, 04:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 05-31-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought about Koenig's story. That, and memorizing the crew list on the bedside computer. I think the bathroom story should be made canon by JJ Abrams in the new movie.
Old 05-31-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I like it! Consider it canon, along with the Troops short for Star Wars.
Old 05-31-07, 04:22 PM

They could have also met in the Enterprise powder room while they were both in there straightening their wigs...
Old 05-31-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I like it! Consider it canon, along with the Troops short for Star Wars.
I'm a huge continuity nerd and while I usually just laugh plot holes like this off, it bothers me nonetheless, and this is one that I can now safely take off my mind. It's canon. It's hilarious, it's a great anecdote, and it works, so it is now true (to me at least).

Doc
Old 06-01-07, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sums up my feelings on this.