Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New Star Wars movie? Slim-to-none chance...but maybe?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-07, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Extremely tenuous, rumor-prone information follows.
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...rom=public_js#
New Star Wars film 'on cards'
By Stephen Fenech

May 24, 2007 12:00

STAR WARS fans will sense a disturbance in the force amid rampant rumours that a new movie set before the prequels is to be announced in LA tomorrow.

The news of the "huge" announcement by Star Wars creator George Lucas comes on the 30th anniversary of the first film.

Chris Brennan, a member of Star Walking Inc - the Australian Star Wars appreciation society, is in LA for the offcial convention Celebration IV at the Los Angeles Covention Centre.

He said the rumours sweeping the venue is that Lucas will announce a new Star Wars movie is in the works.

Reports have been circling among fans and on the internet of a new Star Wars movie or movies set before the recent prequels at the time of Old Republic when the Jedi regained control of the galaxy from the Dark Lords of the Sith.

"He did make a slip in an interview a couple of weeks ago and say something about a forthcoming movie,'' Brennan said.

"The reporter went back to him and said `did you say movie?'

"George said no he didn't say that and tried to cover it up.''

Lucas has already confirmed a Star Wars live action TV series will be filmed in Australia from next year and will be set between the recent Episode III and the original 1977 Star Wars film which is Episode IV.

Despite opening in just 32 US theatres (Spiderman 3 recently premiered in 4324 US theatres) across the US on May 25, 1977 it went on to be the second highest grossing film all time behind Titanic.

Australian actors Bruce Spence who appeared in Episode III as Tion Medon as well as Zac Jensen, who played Jedi knight Kit Fitso in Episodes II and III, will be special guests at Celebration IV which will attract more than 60,000 fans, many in the costume of their favourite character.

They will join other cast members from all six films including Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia), Anthony Daniels (C3P0) and Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian) at the convention.
Brennan says LA has been caught up in Star Wars fever.

"Just walking down the street here every second person is a Star Wars fan,'' he said.

"It's a big feeling of brotherhood and sisterhood.''

When asked why he was such a big Star Wars fan Brennan said: "It all comes down to the escapism. People can sit down and start watching Star Wars, any of the films, and get totally absorbed and get transported to a galaxy far, far away.''

Star Walking Inc is organising its own convention to mark the 30th anniversary of the Star Wars premiere in Australian on the 21-22nd October in Melbourne

We'll see if this has any basis in fact, I doubt it.
Old 05-24-07, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
speaking of which, anyone going to Celebration this year? See, I'm so on the fence about even going and the convention center is about five minutes away. I mean.. $45 for a one day. then the pain in the ass with parking and what not.

so torn.
Old 05-24-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
"He did make a slip in an interview a couple of weeks ago and say something about a forthcoming movie,'' Brennan said.
According to this piece, it's a set of TELEVISION MOVIES, not new theatrical films:

http://ww.cinematical.com/2007/05/09...-spider-man-3/

In fact, it sounds like he might be ditching his whole TV series idea and just do a couple of TV-movies instead.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 05-24-07 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-24-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
In fact, it sounds like he might be ditching his whole TV series idea and just do a couple of TV-movies instead.
That actually sounds better to me.
Old 05-24-07, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
A TV series would be cool, but please, no more movies. It was the story of Anakin Skywalker in that medium, and it is over.
Old 05-24-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Actually, thinking about it, I wouldn't mind a movie along the lines of a new uprising of the Empire. With Mark Hamill playing Luke at his age now with kids, maybe grandkids and how they fare with the force and if he's repopulated the Jedi Academy.
Old 05-24-07, 09:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
According to this piece, it's a set of TELEVISION MOVIES, not new theatrical films:
oh that's not new news...
Old 05-24-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
That actually sounds better to me.
I agree. I have the feeling that the TV series would have just gone nowhere slow anyway.
Old 05-24-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Palpatine: Lord Vader can you hear me?
Vader: Yes, my master.
Vader: Is there anything new in SW-land?
Palpatine: It seems that George may be doing either a new movie or a TV show!
Vader: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Old 05-24-07, 10:56 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and animated show i would watch more movies, god i hope not. George ran out of creative juice after empire.
Old 05-24-07, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
and animated show i would watch more movies, god i hope not. George ran out of creative juice after empire.
thankfully he didn't direct Empire either...
Old 05-24-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's been rumors of a T.V. movie for awhile now. George might as well, it's like printing money.
Old 05-24-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The universe is established and can live off TV series. I mean, how many truly good Star Trek TV series have there been? Three, four tops? How many good movies? Three, four?

Star Wars will be milked for at least the next fifty years. I think I'll see Episodes 7-9 in my lifetime. I highly doubt Lucasfilm and/or its heirs will look at a $2 billion pile of cash and say, "No, thanks."
Old 05-24-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
The universe is established and can live off TV series. I mean, how many truly good Star Trek TV series have there been?
There were two: the original and DS9.
Old 05-24-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Actually, from what they're discussing over at HTF, Lucas' comment had to do with directing the first two one hour shows in the TV series, and some idiot reporter misquoted him. Or at least that's what it sounds like.

Star Wars will be milked for at least the next fifty years. I think I'll see Episodes 7-9 in my lifetime.
Yeah, with DVD releases, TV shows, games, and books. But I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for new movies. There is always some idiot out there that gets a rumor like this started because he misquoted something or took a quote completely out of context. I've lost count of how many of these rumors have been proven wrong.

Last edited by Terrell; 05-24-07 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-24-07, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Terrell
Actually, from what they're discussing over at HTF, Lucas' comment had to do with directing the first two one hour shows in the TV series, and some idiot reporter misquoted him. Or at least that's what it sounds like.

Yeah, with DVD releases, TV shows, games, and books. But I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for new movies.

I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that the continuation of the Star Wars saga after Ep. 6 would be in book form? Of course Lucas could flog a dead horse, but I really really doubt anything would be filmed, and if it was, it would have coincide with the numerous storylines that have been established in the novels.

Last edited by Giles; 05-24-07 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-24-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that the continuation of the Star Wars saga after Ep. 6 would be in book form?
Honestly Giles, I have no clue. Seems reasonable enough that it would continue in book form. Who knows what Lucas will do. I guess that's why some people will always hold out hope for new movies. Personally, Lucas has exhausted his Star Wars imagination and I can't imagine why he continues with it. If it's making money, he could easily appoint his goons to handle it and make all the money in the world. It's not like he needs it. All of his companies are self-sustaining. They will flourish with or without his money. There would be no point in owning them otherwise. I can only assume he's like a crack addict, and for some reason is addicted to it and can't let it go for whatever reason. I'd like to see new films from him, provided he lets someone else edit and write the screenplays. Supposedly he has made a couple of shorts that he has shown his friends in the business. But that doesn't do anything for me.
Old 05-24-07, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Terrell
Honestly Giles, I have no clue. Seems reasonable enough that it would continue in book form. Who knows what Lucas will do. I guess that's why some people will always hold out hope for new movies. Personally, Lucas has exhausted his Star Wars imagination and I can't imagine why he continues with it. If it's making money, he could easily appoint his goons to handle it and make all the money in the world. It's not like he needs it. All of his companies are self-sustaining. They will flourish with or without his money. There would be no point in owning them otherwise. I can only assume he's like a crack addict, and for some reason is addicted to it and can't let it go for whatever reason. I'd like to see new films from him, provided he lets someone else edit and write the screenplays. Supposedly he has made a couple of shorts that he has shown his friends in the business. But that doesn't do anything for me.
that's pretty damning... but I agree with you.
Old 05-24-07, 01:59 PM
Banned

I think Lucas should just stick to X-mas specials. That's clearly where his strengths lay.
Old 05-24-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree with The Bus. As long as there is money to be made, Star Wars shit will keep coming. Lucas won't live forever and after he's not around to keep it to a minimum it will only to get worse.
Old 05-24-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
Didn't Lucas state that he was anticipating the end of the Star Wars saga so that he could focus on smaller, more personal projects? Perhaps it's just the crack talking. Who knows?
Old 05-24-07, 03:52 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Numanoid
I agree with The Bus. As long as there is money to be made, Star Wars shit will keep coming.
I read in Rolling Stone that he actually makes more money off the video games, books, toys, comics, etc. than he does off the movies cause the studio gets a huge chunk of that money. so he already introduced enough new characters for his stories to live on for a while.
Old 05-24-07, 05:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
speaking of which, anyone going to Celebration this year? See, I'm so on the fence about even going and the convention center is about five minutes away. I mean.. $45 for a one day. then the pain in the ass with parking and what not.

so torn.
A couple of my friends and I were considering volunteering to get in for free, but in the end we decided to just wait and go to ComicCon instead.
Old 05-24-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kudama
I think Lucas should just stick to X-mas specials. That's clearly where his strengths lay.
A prequel Christmas Special....a Very Jar Jar Christmas! Guest starring Sanjaya, Carrot Top and Miley Cyrus!
Old 05-24-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
A couple of my friends and I were considering volunteering to get in for free, but in the end we decided to just wait and go to ComicCon instead.

My thinking as well. Even with the option of doing the whole press pass it just doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.