Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Masters of the Universe - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-04, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is great news....because we now might see the animated series on dvd!!!
Old 10-05-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GOSHDARNIT!!!!!!!! One of my "Dream Projects" when I eventually get to make big budget Hollywood fare... son of a bitch... Woo better do this right!

MATT
Old 10-05-04, 10:57 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by mdc3000
GOSHDARNIT!!!!!!!! One of my "Dream Projects" when I eventually get to make big budget Hollywood fare... son of a bitch... Woo better do this right!

MATT
Uh, no offense, but I'll take Woo's vision for the project over yours.
Old 10-05-04, 03:16 PM
Suspended

Wow - what a bunch of hate.

Me, I thought the cartoon was fun (in a special 80's cheesy kind of way), so I would gladly drop 6 bones to see Woo's version.
Old 10-05-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 10-05-04, 03:58 PM

There is only one way this movie can be a success:

All Moss Man all the time
Old 10-05-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I wonder if this would be better as a CG film. (realistic of course, a la FFantasy) It'd be expensive, but i'd imagine a live-action would be too.
Old 10-05-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Artman
I wonder if this would be better as a CG film. (realistic of course, a la FFantasy) It'd be expensive, but i'd imagine a live-action would be too.
Eh, I'm of the opinion doing "realistic" like FInal Fantasy is just pointless. It's expensive, and really has no point. Might as well just get actors and green screen the whole thing.

Nonetheless, there's just nothing in Woo's resume that tells me he could do a movie like this. If it doesn't invovle guns or vehicles chasing each other, it just doesn't sound good for Woo. Woo's films in HK were awesome, but it's cause they were awesome action movies with tons of visual style. That's his thing, I can appreciate him trying to do new things, but he just ain't good at it.
Old 10-06-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
Eh, I'm of the opinion doing "realistic" like FInal Fantasy is just pointless. It's expensive, and really has no point. Might as well just get actors and green screen the whole thing.
I disagree. When a 'real' film incorporates heavy CGI it becomes obvious, stands out and detracts from the movie. But with an all CGI film that will never happen.
Old 10-06-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
HE-MAN would be a waste of John Woo's talents. But I'd love to see him tackle a bigscreen version of UNDERDOG.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 10-06-04 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-06-04, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I couldn't imagine how anyone could ruin Underdog. But I'm sure Woo will find a way.
Old 10-06-04, 08:49 AM

Woo is making a buck. Sorry, but if I had the opportunity I wouldn't pass it up.

At the same time, the money he is farming should give him the chance to make what ever he wants.

To bad he doesn't make movies I want to see. *shrug* At least he is making a buck. I don't think we will ever see another "Hard Boiled" from him.

Last edited by King Jaspo; 10-06-04 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-06-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
It was meant as a joke, but Triple H fits He-Man perfectly!
Old 10-06-04, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by jaeufraser

Nonetheless, there's just nothing in Woo's resume that tells me he could do a movie like this. If it doesn't invovle guns or vehicles chasing each other, it just doesn't sound good for Woo. Woo's films in HK were awesome, but it's cause they were awesome action movies with tons of visual style. That's his thing, I can appreciate him trying to do new things, but he just ain't good at it.
Woo had never done a good vehicle chase until MI2, but that one was one of the finest chase scenes ever. On the other hand, he wasn't great with the wide open, huge scale battle scenes in Windtalkers. Yet the closeup fighting was great. Bottomline, you never know with this guy.

By the way, he came up on swordplay/martial arts flicks, which is what I think He-Man will essentially turn into.
Old 10-06-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally posted by ytrez
From the Killer to He-Man.

My, how the mighty have fallen
My thoughts exactly.

John Woo should follow Jackie Chan's lead and go to Hong Kong to create better movies.
Can't believe that this is the same guy that directed "The Killer" and "Hardboiled". What happened???
Old 10-06-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For a while I didn't mind John Woo's bad American films. Hell, if I had come from HK and they were shoving money at me to make goofy movies, I'd be making Care Bear sequels left and right. But enough is enough. I'm starting to wonder if John Woo still has it in him to make really good movies anymore.

D
Old 10-06-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
Why does everyone assume He-Man will suck?
Old 10-06-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by GuessWho
Why does everyone assume He-Man will suck?
Because while it worked when we were childern in the 80's. Looking at any episode now makes you really question the whole sexual nature of the show.

It just doesn't look like a good translation.
Old 10-06-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by scott shelton
Uh, no offense, but I'll take Woo's vision for the project over yours.
Sure dude...your loss.

MATT
Old 10-06-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder if Woo will be a purist and keep reusing the same action shots of He-Man over and over again like in the cartoon.
Old 10-07-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He should just team up with Chow Yun-Fat again and make a kickass gun-fu movie. Not this He-Man or Spyhunter crap.
Old 12-24-04, 12:18 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I'll just put it over here then...

I'd give it a try... for nostalgia's sake. For some reason, neither The Rock or Triple H (Paul Michael Levesque) do it for me. Dolph was a good fit, as long as he kept his mouth shut.

Oh, one of my students pointed out these redesign concepts some one did as part of a contest. Take a look... they are quite twisted.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32872
Old 12-24-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if they put Rasslers in it, count me out
Old 05-23-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

He-Man returns to big screen
Joel Silver teams with WB for adaptation
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Warner Bros. and producer Joel Silver are working with Mattel to turn "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" into a live-action film.
Justin Marks is set to write the script. Silver will produce.

Deal, which is contingent on Mattel formally approving an outline for the project, is another example of Hollywood culling a 1980s-era pop-culture touchstone in the hopes of seeding a tentpole pic. The sale comes just a few weeks before the July preem of DreamWorks' Michael Bay-directed "Transformers," which began as an '80s animated series and toy line.

He-Man was born as a Mattel action figure, and the toymaker created an animated series in hopes of selling dolls. The series became a cult favorite, spawning the 1987 pic "Masters of the Universe."

The new rendition was pitched to the studio and Mattel as a classic good vs. evil battle, using the kind of visual effects strategy employed in "300." A warrior is touted as the last hope of a magical land called Eternia, which is being ravaged by technology and a despotic ruler named Skeletor.

Many of the characters in the universe will be informed by the four different cartoon series done since the 1980s.

The story was hatched by Marks and Neil Ellice, the latter of whom will co-produce. Silver Pictures, which is turning the Japanese animated series "Speed Racer" into a live-action film with Larry and Andy Wachowski directing, sparked to the potential. Silver Pictures exec Navid McIlhargey brought it in and will be involved in a producing capacity.

The viability of the "He-Man" universe is evidenced by the traffic that has occurred since rumors of a screen resurrection hit the Internet. Contrary to Web rumor, the lead role has not yet been cast.

WMA-repped Marks is writing a number of scripts, including "One Free Murder," for producer Kevin Misher. In the fantasy-franchise realm, he's turning the animated series "Voltron" into a live-action film for producer Mark Gordon; he's developing a screen version of the vidgame "Street Fighter" for Hyde Park; and he's scripting a feature for Warners based on the DC Comics character the Green Arrow.
Old 05-23-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
This will be great if they do it right. It's been too long since the wonderful days of Dolph as He-Man.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.