Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Temple of Doom or Last Crusade

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Temple or Crusade
The Temple of Doom
39.20%
The Last Crusade
60.80%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Temple of Doom or Last Crusade

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 05:12 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How often do we see this picture when the movies are talked about, along with Raiders' opening, iconic stuff.
Old 05-27-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
#2 has a heart but no brain. #3 has a brain but no heart. #1 has both, which I hope they can recapture in #4.
Old 05-28-07, 01:35 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temple I thought was much more fun.
Old 05-28-07, 11:04 AM

The Last Crusade didn't have a heart? I can't disagree with that enough. Sean Connery and the father-son play filled it with heart. I'd still put Raiders #1 but I think Last Crusade was a great movie and right there with Raiders, far ahead of Temple of Doom. Also I saw something on Sean Connery yesterday, maybe on A+E, and he said something about Last Crusade being the most impressive project he was ever a part of.
Old 05-28-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by harrydoyle
Also I saw something on Sean Connery yesterday, maybe on A+E, and he said something about Last Crusade being the most impressive project he was ever a part of.
Even more impressive than Zardoz?
No way!

Old 05-28-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by harrydoyle
The Last Crusade didn't have a heart? I can't disagree with that enough. Sean Connery and the father-son play filled it with heart. I'd still put Raiders #1 but I think Last Crusade was a great movie and right there with Raiders, far ahead of Temple of Doom. Also I saw something on Sean Connery yesterday, maybe on A+E, and he said something about Last Crusade being the most impressive project he was ever a part of.
Seems very sterile to me every time I watch it, except for the opening sequence with River Phoenix.

(Doesn't mean I don't like it.)
Old 02-17-12, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Temple of Doom or Last Crusade

I'm watching Temple of Doom and I think it's much better than The Last Crusade.

1) Like someone else said, TOD feels more like the pulp stories/era that inspired it.
2)Non-war related villains. I never thought Indiana Jones was dependent upon war time patriotism, but instead fighting strange villains in either uncharted areas or exotic locales.
3) I'm one of the seemingly few who like Willie Scott. Not so much the way she was written but mostly for Kate Capshaw's performance.
4) One helluva opening.

I disliked Last Crusade for these reasons:

1)Retread with nazi's again.
2)Retread with holy Judeo-Christian artifact.
3)Revelation of Indiana's name and how he got the fedora, scar, and fear of snakes in just one day was a little much.
4) Sean Connery is awesome but it felt like a gimmick.

I'm shocked that Spielberg said he felt the need to apologize for Temple of Doom. Raiders and Temple are the only two Indy films I would own.
Old 02-17-12, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I am not a huge fan of either sequel, as they don't come close to Raiders. But before I even look at the results I guarantee I will be in the minority saying Temple is better. I always felt Last Crusade was a total rehash of Raiders with the exception of Sean Connery, the same way Jedi was a rehash of Star Wars.

I always thought Temple was better then Crusade just because it was different (and does have its flaws), as its a dark movie, and an entertaining sequel. But I will say that Crusade has them riding off in the sunset at the end and that is a great moment! Should have never done a 4th movie for that reason alone!
Old 02-17-12, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I watched Temple of doom a lot more when I was a kid but hands down to Last Crusade
I think I have to go with this. For me, Temple didn't hold up as well.
Old 02-17-12, 08:10 AM
Banned

I find that the LAST CRUSADE is easily the Best of all 4 Indiana Jones films. Just a perfect action adventure film.
Old 02-17-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I hardly ever watched Temple of Doom as a kid. Advantage easily goes to Last Crusade. Temple is the weakest of the first three.
Old 02-17-12, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not gonna bash Last Crusade, because it's great.. but Temple of Doom for me. Of all three of the movies, if I'm gonna toss something on in the background, I always go for Temple. It's just the most viscerally and visually exciting of the series. I prefer Raiders above them all, but I've just seen it so many times that when I'm jonesing for some Indy, I'll usually reach for Temple of Doom. Interestingly, I seem to remember Pauline Kael preferred Temple of Doom even over Raiders. In fact, let me go dig up her review...

Crap.. can't find it, but I did find a quote "This is one of the most sheerly pleasurable physical comedies ever made."
Old 02-17-12, 08:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While out of the original 3 my favorite is Last Crusade, it's the one I grew up watching a lot as a kid on USA especially...also fucking Sean Connery.

Raiders is the best one for sure.

Temple is 2nd best..but it's my least favorite...I just love to see Nazis get their asses kicked. I'd also add that out of the original 3 this is probably Spielberg's most daring in terms of direction.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 02-17-12 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-17-12, 08:57 PM
Banned

Old 02-19-12, 10:34 PM

Definitely Temple of Doom. One of my favorite action movies.
Old 02-19-12, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

love love The Temple of Doom and those of my favorite series and good rest of the Indiana Jones movie series also.
Old 02-20-12, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MWB
Temple of Doom. At least it tried to do something different. Crusade was just a shameless retread of the original.

Raiders bests both of them by a mile, though.
I caught some of Last Crusade on cable last night and I think it's getting worse with each passing viewing. The villains suck. The score sucks. The warmed-over Raiders plot sucks. And worst of all, what they did to Brody and Sallah sucks. There are some nice moments with Indy and Dad but even those are overshadowed by the ham-fisted comedy bits.

Five years later, and Temple of Doom still has it all over Last Crusade.
Old 02-20-12, 12:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MWB
I caught some of Last Crusade on cable last night and I think it's getting worse with each passing viewing. The villains suck. The score sucks. The warmed-over Raiders plot sucks. And worst of all, what they did to Brody and Sallah sucks.
I hate this most of all. Everyone goes on about what a buffoon they made Brody but I was even more disappointed with how they marginalized Sallah. In Raiders he was so full of life and song and he actually offered useful info and helped move the plot. In Crusade he doesn't do anything.
Old 02-20-12, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The racism of ToD is too overbearing for me -- they might as well have called it Indiana Jones and the White Man's Burden. Oh, those poor, heathen darkies, they need a noble white man to save them because they're incapable of taking care of themselves. Crusade may be stupid, but at least it doesn't insult a billion people.
Old 02-20-12, 02:22 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Obviously Raiders is the best. When I was a kid I preferred Last Crusade, but it does feel like a retread of Raiders in a lot of ways when I watch it as an adult, and I agree about the way they portrayed Brody and Sallah feeling cheap.

Temple of Doom has its issues, the most obvious being the awful depiction of India, but it also has some of the most memorable moments in the whole series, and it's got a great arc for Indy as he goes from fortune hunter to the man we see in Raiders.

I do like Sean Connery in Last Crusade and the way he can cut Indy down with a few choice words. Also it's still cool to this day that Indy's dad is James Bond.
Old 02-20-12, 02:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Oh, those poor, heathen darkies, they need a noble white man to save them because they're incapable of taking care of themselves. Crusade may be stupid, but at least it doesn't insult a billion people.
lol, where do people like you come up with this shit? Its the PC mock outrage idiocy that a select few leveled at The Help and that sandra Bullock movie again. I actually feel kinda sorry for you.
Old 02-20-12, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hated Temple. Short Round does nothing but yell and the heart ripping scene was beyond horrible
Old 02-20-12, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Short Round is freaking awesome.
Old 02-20-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt
lol, where do people like you come up with this shit?
By watching the movie. It's practically a point-by-point adaptation of The White Man's Burden. Indy is "the best [we] breed" who goes to India where he encounters "sullen peoples/Half-devil [the Thugs] and half-child [the villagers]." After seeing the villager's plight he decides "To seek another's profit/And work another's gain" in "the savage war of peace" in order to "Fill full the mouth of Famine/And bid the sickness cease."

Its the PC mock outrage idiocy that a select few leveled at The Help and that sandra Bullock movie again. I actually feel kinda sorry for you.
The Help, the umpteenth movie about the civil rights era told from the perspective a white person -- a white person who just happens to not be racist herself so as not to offend the sensibilities of white folk who don't want to realize that if they'd been alive at the time in the South, they would've been bitching about blacks getting to use the same bathroom as them. Yeah, that is outrageous. Why can't we have a narrative about the period that's not filtered through a white-perspective?
Old 02-20-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I like Temple of Doom. I love Last Crusade.

The Last Crusade is darned near as good as Raiders. Every Indiana Jones movie is entertaining. Crystal Skull may be ridiculous and over the top but I still find it entertaining. The Last Crusade is clearly a notch above Temple and Crystal Skull.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.