Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

First Pics of Timothy Olyphant as Hitman

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

First Pics of Timothy Olyphant as Hitman

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
He was fine in Deadwood. Not exactly a part that required range.
And he was nowhere near his co-stars
Old 11-22-07, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ebert's review and the DVDTalk review have both made the mistakes of thinking that all these overblown action scenes are in the game, which they are not. Rarely in the entire series of the game does going around guns-a-blazing work and it almost always gets you killed.

The game is much more about learning about your targets and the area they are in and using it to your advantage. One of my favorite examples is in the 4th one where Agent 47 has to take out someone who is a performer in an opera. In the opera the target is playing a guy who is getting executed, so Agent 47 can replace the prop-gun with a real gun, and then the target will be assassinated on stage without ever having to pull the trigger.

The hotel scene I just watched from that link above has me really upset. This could've been great, done right, but if the whole movie is like that scene, I'd rather watch the Big Hit.
Old 11-22-07, 08:32 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
^^ Oh c'mon, the game is fun to play, but do you really want to watch a copied scenes straight out of the game? I like to watch movies, not watch games that I like to play, if that makes any sense.
Old 11-22-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Rarely in the entire series of the game does going around guns-a-blazing work and it almost always gets you killed.
With practice, it can be easy to get massacres done. You'll just be labeled as a "Psychopath" instead of "Silent Assassin" at the end of the mission!
Old 11-22-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This movie sucked major ass, really disappointed.
Old 11-22-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Seen it earlier today, I liked it, one of the best videogame flicks, I thought the movie looked great. Action was done pretty well. 7.5/10
Old 11-22-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I enjoyed it... Im a sucker for these type of movies so it was fun, nothing great but good way to spend a lazy, gut filled Thanksgiving. My biggest problem was:
Spoiler:
No origin or "upbringing" storyline really in the movie
Old 11-22-07, 07:42 PM

^^^ I wouldn't consider that a spoiler, more of a criticism
Old 11-22-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Disappointed by the negative reactions. I was, once again, hoping for a solid video game movie. I have the movie ticket for it from buying Live Free or Die Hard so I might check this out anyway. I might have to sit through it by myself though.
Old 11-22-07, 09:40 PM

^^^ like a hitman perhaps?
Old 11-23-07, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunde
He was fine in Deadwood. Not exactly a part that required range.
And he was nowhere near his co-stars

I never said he was. But saying he doesn't have range is not an accurate statement. Maybe in this role, but he was great on Deadwood.
Old 11-23-07, 05:20 PM

I've never seen Deadwood, but I imagine is more of a "film" than Hitman is.
Old 11-24-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Saw it last night. Thought it was good. I think the major criticism that people have about it jumping around so much actually helps the movie keep a good pace. Olyphant didn't show a ton of range in the movie, but he's not supposed to. He's a hitman with no emotions or christ sake.
Old 11-24-07, 03:31 PM

I too enjoyed the movie... I don't understand it being ranked with the likes of "The Hills Have Eyes 2". My party enjoyed it, as well. I think it's the "videogamemovie" stigma. It was not Bourne, but it wasn't supposed to be.
Old 11-24-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I was bored until the middle part, after that it was all good. I'm not sure if they didn't explain things well or if I just fell asleep but I had no idea what was going on until that one guy with the fake face stated what was going on while he was in morgue.
Old 11-24-07, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Olyphant didn't show a ton of range in the movie, but he's not supposed to. He's a hitman with no emotions or christ sake.
A great actor can do wonders with a role like this.

Olyphant stinks. He's beyond bland. There's no excuse for an one-note actor.
Old 11-24-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think Olyphant delivered over half of his lines through clenched teeth, that got old, fast.

The script felt underwritten in quite a lot of spots. It tried to be clever, but got caught up in being something worse: uninteresting. It was weird seeing Robert Knepper with a working left hand (his role on Prison Break is a one-handed one).

I did sort of like Olga Kurylenko, she reminded me of Sophie Marceau, but with a Russian twist.

I give it 1.75 stars, or a grade of C-.
Old 11-30-07, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
I saw this this afternoon and I was really really disappointed. I was bored for the most part and I really didn't find the whole story that interesting. Olyphant was a decent villain in Die Hard and is a good supporting actor, but I just didn't find him credible or engaging as the hero or anti-hero of this film. I was less than thrilled with the action scenes. Overall this film was a dud.....I'd give it a C- like Patman. Glad I watched it for free with the movie pass that came with Live Free or Die Hard.
Old 11-30-07, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Two main problems: way too much exposition and Olyphant is not hardened enough. Character needed to be hardcore incarnate. Olyphant looks 25 and harmless.
Old 12-02-07, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I watched the movie tonight and wasn't impressed by it. I liked Timothy Olyphant in Deadwook and The Girl Next Door but in Hitman, he was pretty bad.

Originally Posted by Patman
I did sort of like Olga Kurylenko, she reminded me of Sophie Marceau, but with a Russian twist.
That's exactly what I was thinking while watching her onscreen at least in regards to her facial features. She has a great body but a little too skinny for my taste.
Old 12-02-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
...watched this today.

Was it just me or was the beggining footage taken from DARK ANGEL [Jessica Alba]? When they showed 47 & others being trained as small kids, it looked like the same footage and I swer I saw the same girl that played young Max in Dark Angel.
Old 12-02-07, 03:02 AM

Ok,
Spoiler:
Was there a reason why he was set up in the first place? I didn't see a explanation, or who even did it.

That aside, it was alright, an enjoyable action movie but nothing more than a 6 out of 10 to me.

Also, what was with the dubbing? I think this could've been done alot better if it had a better editor, and a more intense soundtrack. Instead we just get some generic synth horns here and there.

Last edited by project86; 12-02-07 at 03:04 AM.
Old 12-02-07, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Finisher
Two main problems: way too much exposition and Olyphant is not hardened enough. Character needed to be hardcore incarnate. Olyphant looks 25 and harmless.
The actor does look younger than he really is. He's actually about 40 years old.
Old 12-02-07, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
...watched this today.

Was it just me or was the beggining footage taken from DARK ANGEL [Jessica Alba]? When they showed 47 & others being trained as small kids, it looked like the same footage and I swer I saw the same girl that played young Max in Dark Angel.
The credits did have a shout out to Dark Angel so you might be correct. It's sad but that is really the only thing that stood out in this movie for me - it felt very flat.
Old 12-03-07, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by lisadoris
The credits did have a shout out to Dark Angel so you might be correct. It's sad but that is really the only thing that stood out in this movie for me - it felt very flat.
Alright then, Thanks. I didn't have time to stay thru the credits... was sure I wasn't seeing things.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.