DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What does Star Wars have in common with Dirty Dancing? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/499882-what-does-star-wars-have-common-dirty-dancing.html)

calhoun07 05-06-07 10:15 PM

What does Star Wars have in common with Dirty Dancing?

BBC NEWS
Star Wars 'is top film obsession'
Star Wars and Dirty Dancing are the films people most love to watch over and over again, according to a poll.

The Star Wars trilogy topped the list of most-watched movies for male film fans and came second on the list for women, the Sky Movies survey said.

Fantasies and thrillers dominated the mens' top 10, with The Terminator, Aliens and Blade Runner highly placed.

On the female list, Grease, The Sound of Music and Pretty Woman completed the top five.

MENS' MOST-WATCHED FILMS
1. Star Wars trilogy
2. Aliens
3. The Terminator
4. Blade Runner
5. The Godfather
Source: Sky Movies
The survey was carried out by the Sky Movies Sci-fi & Horror Channel to tie in with the Sci-Fi London film festival.

Star Wars, The Terminator, Jaws and The Lord of the Rings trilogy were in the top 10 lists for both sexes - with 50% of respondents saying they had watched the Star Wars films more than 20 times.

WOMENS' MOST-WATCHED FILMS
1. Dirty Dancing
2. Star Wars trilogy
3. Grease
4. The Sound of Music
5. Pretty Woman
Men also liked to repeatedly watch The Godfather, Alien, Die Hard and Terminator 2, while women picked It's A Wonderful Life and The Matrix, the poll suggested.

A Sky spokeswoman was unavailable to say how many people took part in the survey.

Star Wars fans have been flocking to a new exhibition of props, costumes and other memorabilia, which opened on Friday in London.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...nt/6629907.stm

Published: 2007/05/06 11:28:27 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Apone 05-06-07 10:31 PM

The poll was rigged. Aliens should be number one on both mens' and womens' list. :mad:

GoldenJCJ 05-07-07 12:13 AM

I must know the wrong kind of girls. The ones I know wouldn't have the Star Wars trilogy anywhere near their Top 5 most watched movies.

Must be them British chicks...

Joe Molotov 05-07-07 01:40 AM

The survey was carried out by the Sky Movies Sci-fi & Horror Channel to tie in with the Sci-Fi London film festival.

Star Wars, The Terminator, Jaws and The Lord of the Rings trilogy were in the top 10 lists for both sexes - with 50% of respondents saying they had watched the Star Wars films more than 20 times.

A Sky spokeswoman was unavailable to say how many people took part in the survey.
That should tell you everything you need to know about how reliable this poll is. Half the respondants, men and women, have seen the Star Wars Trilogy more than 20 times?!?! Are you kidding me? I've seen it maybe 7 or 8 times, and I'd consider that to be a lot.

Jackskeleton 05-07-07 02:28 AM

and you consider yourself average? clearly the poll says you are not.

coli 05-07-07 05:15 AM

I have seen the Star Wars Trilogy hundreds of times, so count me in as those #1 fans on that list. Also, it is great to see the Classic Trilogy all by itself again, with no trace of the Prequels tied to it, meaning the 'saga.'

kaze0 05-07-07 06:42 AM

It's a sci fi mag, it's probably their readers.

raven56706 05-07-07 06:59 AM

They never put baby in the corner

dx23 05-07-07 08:33 AM

Patrick Swayze shot first.

raven56706 05-07-07 09:09 AM

in Dirty Dancing, the rebellion was led by Johnny(Patrick Swayze)

coli 05-07-07 09:42 AM

"But I don't want to play cards with the old people, I was going down to the Toschi Station to get fitted for a new dress!"

tasha99 05-07-07 10:37 AM

I'm a man. :sad:

The Bus 05-07-07 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
That should tell you everything you need to know about how reliable this poll is. Half the respondants, men and women, have seen the Star Wars Trilogy more than 20 times?!?! Are you kidding me? I've seen it maybe 7 or 8 times, and I'd consider that to be a lot.

You see Star Wars every 3-4 years?

(Also, mind you that this might be the trilogy. I've very easily seen "Star Wars" movies over twenty times if you count every iteration of both trilogies).

milo bloom 05-07-07 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
- with 50% of respondents saying they had watched the Star Wars films more than 20 times.

:rolleyes:

Amateurs.

Joe Molotov 05-07-07 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
You see Star Wars every 3-4 years?

(Also, mind you that this might be the trilogy. I've very easily seen "Star Wars" movies over twenty times if you count every iteration of both trilogies).

I was about 10 or so before I saw the Star Wars Trilogy for first time, or at least saw it for the first time and was able to appreciate it (I'd seen parts of it before, but I didn't really know what it was and didn't care). Since then I've probably seen it every other year.

But yeah, if they're count amount of times you've seen any Star Wars movie, then I'd be well over 20; I've even seen the Holiday Special twice. But still 50% of a group saying that they've seen any Star Wars movie more than twenty times seems too high.

The Bus 05-08-07 05:09 PM

I'm guessing they just lumped all "Star Wars" into one. I've seen Lord of the Rings over a dozen times, using that method.

PopcornTreeCt 05-09-07 01:44 PM

I don't see how The Godfather could be on anyone's most-watched list.

calhoun07 05-09-07 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
I'm guessing they just lumped all "Star Wars" into one. I've seen Lord of the Rings over a dozen times, using that method.

I wonder if they lumped the two Dirty Dancing movies into one then?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338096/

wendersfan 05-09-07 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't see how The Godfather could be on anyone's most-watched list.

It's probably in my top five, certainly my top ten.

Fok 05-10-07 02:32 AM

chicks like star wars too? I haven't met any

chanster 05-10-07 08:59 AM

Growing up, I probably watched Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars, in bits and pieces, a lot. If I was bored, I would turn it on and play with the toys or some other toys

Kudama 05-10-07 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Fok
chicks like star wars too? I haven't met any

They're out there, but then again, so is the winnings from the lottery.

Numanoid 05-10-07 03:42 PM

What a bogus pile of crap this article is. The claim

The Star Wars trilogy topped the list of most-watched movies for male film fans and came second on the list for women, the Sky Movies survey said.
makes no reference to "specifically, horror and sci-fi film fans". Out of the several dozen women I've known intimately in my life, maybe ONE was a big enough Star Wars fan to list it amongst their top five films. Most women I know have never even seen it.

It's like taking an exit poll of people leaving a Pizza Hut on a Thursday night and writing an article stating that more women eat at Pizza Hut on Thursdays than any other restaurant.

Oh, and this is a nice touch:

:lol: So it could have been five or ten people surveyed. Useless!

Further proof that 73% of statistics are meaningless.

Zen Peckinpah 05-10-07 07:52 PM

May the Swayze be with you...

always.