Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney planning to dump the Buena Vista brand

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From imdb.com:

Hasta La Vista, Buena Vista

The Walt Disney Co. plans to do away with its remaining Buena Vista banners and replace them with the Disney name, Bloomberg News reported today (Thursday), citing people involved in the plans. The company's distribution division and its home-video unit both bear the Buena Vista designation. Buena Vista Games has already become Disney Interactive Studios. Tuna Amobi, a New York-based analyst with Standard & Poor's, told the wire service that few people associate the Buena Vista name with Disney. "I guarantee millions of people don't know that it's owned by Disney. ... Outside of the industry, it's not widely known."
http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2007-04-26/
Old 04-26-07, 04:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Wasn't the original purpose of the "Buena Vista" name for distribution of wildlife documentaries?
Old 04-26-07, 04:18 PM
Banned

From wiki:

Buena Vista Pictures Distribution, Inc. was a motion picture and television feature distribution company owned by The Walt Disney Company. Buena Vista International is the international distribution arm, and Buena Vista Home Entertainment is the firm's video and DVD distribution arm.

Disney announced plans to retire the brand in May 2007 [1]

Prior to 1953, Walt Disney's productions were distributed by Columbia Pictures, United Artists and RKO Radio Pictures. However, a dispute over the value of Disney's True-Life Adventures series of live-action documentary featurettes led to Walt and his older brother Roy Oliver Disney founding the Buena Vista Distribution Company to handle the distribution of their own product. Buena Vista's first release was the Academy Award winning live-action feature The Living Desert.

Buena Vista International was formed in the early 90's after Disney opted to end a joint venture with Warner Bros. Pictures to distribute the two companies' films in overseas markets.

The company name comes from Buena Vista Street, the road on which the current Walt Disney Studios and company headquarters are situated in Burbank, California.

The company distributes all features produced by Walt Disney Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, DisneyToon Studios, ABC Television Studio (formerly, Touchstone Television), Miramax Films, Pixar Animation Studios, and several small independent companies which employ Buena Vista to distribute their films, such as Spyglass Entertainment.

Buena Vista has a television division, Buena Vista Television, which syndicates shows such as The Golden Girls, Home Improvement, Boy Meets World, sister Disney division ABC's Desperate Housewives and Lost to broadcasters around the world. It also syndicates the daily talk show Live with Regis and Kelly and weekly film-review program Ebert & Roeper.

The current company logo is a silhouette of the iconic Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland, the company's flagship theme park which opened a year after the company was founded.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buena_Vista_Distribution
Old 04-26-07, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I always thought it had something to do with not putting the family-oriented Disney name on non-family fare, like they did with Touchstone. So now Pulp Fiction gets the Disney logo? Cool.
Old 04-27-07, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Scrubs season 5 will probally still have the Buena Vista logo but season 6 when it comes out will have Disney on it.
Same with LOST oh boy those are going to look funny on my shelfs!
Alot of other titles to will have the Disney logo which is pretty funny.
I like the name Buena Vista first Anchor Bay changed its name to Starz now this? I wonder how many more name changes we will see soon?
Old 04-27-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Disney presents... Clerks

Wonderful. I think we should start calling to complain once we see adult-ish titles with the Disney logo.

"Yes, hello, Disney? I bought one of your Disney movies for my 4 and 5 year old, and it was in BLACK AND WHITE and now all they do is TALK about FELLATIO! How dare you people?"