Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

people who made 1 notable movie and then nothing else? (1 hit wonders)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

people who made 1 notable movie and then nothing else? (1 hit wonders)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Who's this? Jill Schoelen from The Stepfather?
Old 04-25-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kim Richards - made Escape to Witch Mountain when she was a child actress. Much, much later she made the 80's film Tuff Turf with James Spader & Robert Downey Jr. then just seemed to disappear.
She's very memorable also from the original Assault on Precinct 13. Her character sets the plot in motion.
Old 04-25-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Well i am sure there are lots, but the ones that come to my mind are:

Clive Barker - Did the original Hellraiser and then nothing else really except kept writing. I liked the first two Hellraiser movies, and also liked Nightbreed/Cabal. I would like to have seen him direct more movies.

Anthony Perkins - He got saddled too much with Psycho. Great movie, but nothing else of note afterwards.

Anne Parilaud - Fantastic in La Femme Nikita, but again has never had anything even close to this since.

Nicol Williamson - Played the part of Merlin in Excalibur brilliantly. He was also in a great episode of Columbo, but again nothing of note since. I read that he is difficult to work with...maybe thats why he ends up in shit like Spawn.
Old 04-25-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
She's very memorable also from the original Assault on Precinct 13. Her character sets the plot in motion.
She's also in lots of TV, so I don't think she should count.

On the other hand, she's Paris Hilton's aunt, so that has to earn her some demerits.
Old 04-25-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Originally Posted by james2025a
Anne Parilaud - Fantastic in La Femme Nikita, but again has never had anything even close to this since.
Dude, Innocent Blood, nude...alot.

Yeah, looks like she is sticking with her home turf based on ther filmography and not working that much just lately either.
Old 04-25-07, 10:34 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know about a big hit. But, Eugene Hutz from Everything Is Illuminated seems to be a pretty good actor (funny as hell in that movie) but doesn't seem to be working on anymore movies.
Old 04-25-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Originally Posted by Quatermass
Louise Fletcher in Cuckoo's Nest. An Oscar right out of the gate then nada. She worked quite a bit after that, but made some odd career choices.
Oddly enough, Brainstorm was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid so when I finally say OFOTCN in high school it was a "wow, its the woman from Brainstorm!!" moment.

I nominate Max Pomeranc, the young boy who did such a terrific job in Searching for Bobby Fischer.
Old 04-25-07, 10:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
as far as the U.S. is concerned:

you forgot his awful version of Pinocchio (I can't believe I paid to endure that dreck). The English dubbed version made it ten times worse.
Old 04-25-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anthony Perkins - He got saddled too much with Psycho. Great movie, but nothing else of note afterwards.
Maybe not the best defense but I think Psycho II was the biggest horror film the year it came out, and is considered a pretty good film. Psycho III (which he directed) ain't bad either. While not the star of it, Catch-22 is also a notable role and film for him. Pretty Poison is a pretty good film as well, just not well known.

He was a really good actor and really did have some other good roles, too bad he's only known for one.
Old 04-25-07, 11:08 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
James Guercio for Electra Glide in Blue.

Really surprised that he never directed anything before or after.
My first thought as well.
Old 04-25-07, 11:10 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Thought of another one:

Now it's obvious where Tony Kaye went - he turned out to be a nutter and no-one wanted to work with him. But when your claim to fame is American History X, you'd think he'd get some forgiveness after a while.
Been a while, but he's finally begun work on his follow-up titled, Black Water Transit (Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson)
Old 04-25-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Justin Kerrigan.

It mightn't be the most popular or obvious choice, but I was really looking forward to see the next film from Justin Kerrigan after falling in love with Human Traffic. Not a great film by any means but it captured the spirit of a time gone by, and it's still something I watch fondly.

Human Traffic energised the careers of a lot of young British actors; John Sim and Danny Dyer definitely owe being noticed to ...Traffic. The soundtrack is still being played at my house - moving from imported CD to iPod - and the way the film dealt with awkward situations, reluctantly growing up, and denial really spoke to me.

Kerrigan's nowehere to be found, even after his "best newcomer" awards and noms. No IMDb bio, not even a Wikipedia page. At twenty-four years of age, he made a fun, meaningful film about his generation and, despite how amateurish or shallow it may have been, it felt genuine. One page says he landed a deal with Miramax after Harvey Weinstein bought Human Traffic for US distribution; will we ever see anything come of that, with the turmoil at that little company?

Old 04-25-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
George Huang (Swimming with Sharks)

he wrote a clever, satirical masterpiece and then....wow...nothing!

George Armitage (Grosse Pointe Blank)

what is it with the George's??
Old 04-25-07, 11:34 AM

Richard Blackburn "Lemora".
Lewis Jackson "Christmas Evil"

I would have loved to see more of films from these two!
Old 04-25-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You should see Pretty Poison.

Nicol Williamson - Played the part of Merlin in Excalibur brilliantly. He was also in a great episode of Columbo, but again nothing of note since. I read that he is difficult to work with...maybe thats why he ends up in shit like Spawn.
I quite like Return to Oz.
Old 04-25-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
The Sound of Music kids
Haya Harareet
Harold Russell
Jeff East
Leonard Whiting
Tony Richardson
Paul Scofield
Old 04-25-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tippy Walker and Merrie Spaeth from The World of Henry Orient. Neither has another theatrical film credit.
Old 04-25-07, 02:36 PM

Anthony Perkins was so odd anyway, he probably did the best as he could. Psycho 2 was great.
Old 04-25-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kate Capshaw
Old 04-25-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally Posted by Stamina
Kim Richards - made Escape to Witch Mountain when she was a child actress. Much, much later she made the 80's film Tuff Turf with James Spader & Robert Downey Jr. then just seemed to disappear.
It's funny, I looked her up in the imdb after a recent thread talking about the TV show "Hello Larry" (I had a big crush on her back then. ). Apparently she's acting again after a huge break (taking care of her daughter), and most recently appeared in BLACK SNAKE MOAN. Nice to see her back.
Old 04-25-07, 08:35 PM

Richard O'Brien for Rocky Horror Picture Show. He did Shock Treatment but that was more cult due to RHPS than anything else. Riff Raff never went beyond that film.
Old 04-25-07, 08:40 PM

Oh and Troy McClure....You might remember him from such films as "Alice's Adventure through the Windshield Glass," and "Christmas Ape Goes To Summer Camp." I think he ended up doing educational and self help videos such as "Meat and You – Partners in Freedom," and "Fuzzy Bunny's Guide to You-Know-What." but have not seen too much from him.
Old 04-25-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Steve DeJarnatt: Miracle Mile He has done a couple of other things, but nothing even nearly as momentous.
Old 04-25-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have exception to some of these suggestions.

Originally Posted by CasEjonz
Richard O'Brien for Rocky Horror Picture Show. He did Shock Treatment but that was more cult due to RHPS than anything else. Riff Raff never went beyond that film.
While that was his biggest hit, true, he wasn't primarily a film guy anyway. Later on he went into TV; anyone my age who grew up on 90's english TV know him as "The Crystal Maze" presenter.

Then, of course there's...

... DARK CITY.

Which is kinda like having a one-hit wonder, then coming back years later featuring in an opera.

Originally Posted by rw2516
Paul Scofield
Sure he's been in a ton of things on stage and screen. I assume you mean A Man For All Seasons to be his oscar-winning 'hit', but another oscar nomination for Quiz Show so many years later is nothing to sneeze at, surely.
Old 04-25-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Could one classify George Lucas as a one hit wonder?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.