Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Brute Force - Jules Dassin 1947 - Does it live up to its reputation?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I was really excited when Criterion announced their release of Brute Force. It's one of those films noir with a great reputation as a landmark film, and has gotten rave reviews from most Noir enthusiasts and experts.

But when I actually watched the movie, the only word that came to mind was, "Overrated."

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was good, but I just don't think it's as good as its reputation says it is.

When I thought about it, the problem boils down to one thing - Burt Lancaster's character, Joe Collins. Joe is gruff, angry, unfriendly - and completely unsympathetic. Even in the flashback scene which is supposed to show the likeable side of Joe instead paints him as kind hearted, but self centered. Ultimately, you don't care whether or not Joe escapes or dies - you're more interested in seeing Munsey get his just desserts.

I found the supporting characters to be much more interesting (and likeable).

On the other hand, the direction was quite good, and the film was gritty and tough. It was just a bit slow moving and took its time getting to the climax of the story.

Ultimately, Brute Force - for me - was a disappointment. Perhaps my expectations were too high. I just can't help but feel that Hellinger and Dassin were so concerned with the, "Gritty realism," that they were trying to put on screen that they forgot to make sure the script was as good as it should have been. The protagonist should at least be sympathetic and just a little bit likeable. The audience has to care about his/her fate. In this case I find it hard to believe that anyone would care about Joe Collins. He is angry, we get that. But the problem is that he treats his "friends" with almost as much anger as he does his enemies. He's always short tempered with them and never really gives us any reason to root for him - other than to get rid of Munsey. He's just a means to an end, a tool to get a job done, but he is the focus of the film anyway. Like I said, the supporting characters were much more interesting.

Hellinger's battles with Joseph Breen seemed to overshadow the development of the characters. Not having been there I can't know for sure, but from his letters and telegrams Hellinger did seem awfully focused on the details that Breen was forcing him to remove.

Am I alone in thinking that Brute Force is just average film noir when it comes to the script?
Old 04-25-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B5Erik
Am I alone in thinking that Brute Force is just average film noir when it comes to the script?
Dunno... I'll let you know after I get around to watching it - at some point this week. I just wanted to bump the thread... We need more film noir threads.
Old 04-26-07, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love this movie, although I thought Burt's performance was a bit ropey in places, especially his first scene ...("until we're OUT!"). Still, he'll always be my fave actor, just that he peaked in the 1960's will ALL of his best performances in that decade...My opinion