Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Grindhouse" reviews thread.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Grindhouse" reviews thread.

Old 04-05-07, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordan Raup
What was the song when the "coming previews" titles where shown. It's used in Danger Doom song "Old School" with Talib Kweli from the album "The Mouse and the Mask".
Well I Just listened to a sample and it's just the typical "Coming Attractions" theme music from back in the day.
Old 04-05-07, 01:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Well I Just listened to a sample and it's just the typical "Coming Attractions" theme music from back in the day.
No. It can't be. Its the exact rhythm and everything
Old 04-05-07, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shit. I'm sensing a Kill Bill Deja Vu with this.

Vol-1
Edge-of-your-seat, breakneck thriller
Vol-2
Talk,talk,talk,talk.
Not going to fucking lie, but Kill Bill Volume 2 is a much better film than Volume 1. As much as I love the style of the first one, the second film is just simply better made in every aspect.
Old 04-05-07, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Not going to fucking lie, but Kill Bill Volume 2 is a much better film than Volume 1. As much as I love the style of the first one, the second film is just simply better made in every aspect.
I'm not saying I was one of the detractors of Vol-2 (The way Tarantino would punctuate scenes with a Morricone used-score was too genius for me to overlook, for example) but I can see how others could have been displeased.

I'm just concerned about the future on how he handles his work. Now Vol-1 of Kill Bill was shot to a tee as far as the original script was concerned. All the Beijing stuff (Which was where the House/Blue Leaves chapter was filmed),Vivica fight, and anime sequence were left untouched. But if you read David Carradine's book, "Kill Bill Diary", you'll find out on just how many changes were made til the end of the script.
It's like Tarantino gets a whole new output on his project during his shoot and I'm not surprised if he got the same feeling while making Death Proof. But time will tell if the impact of his sudden judgement on the film-set is for better or worse.
Old 04-05-07, 07:59 AM

I saw an advanced preview last night too and I agree with what others in this thread have said so far. Planet Terror was great, the trailers were great, but Death Proof was lame lame lame. Kurt Russell's character took a turn for the worse at the end. Not the way I would have done it but hey, it's not my movie. I counted no less than a dozen people getting up and leaving during Death Proof and no, they didn't return.
Old 04-05-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts
From one of the DVDTalk reviews:

It's almost a shame that Grindhouse didn't lead with Death Proof, because then I could suggest you leave in the middle. While you don't necessarily need to show up late (you might miss those fake trailers if you do), this double-feature is definitely lopsided. Robert Rodriguez was too busy trying to fake the funk in Planet Terror, whereas Quentin Tarantino was far more conscious of delivering the same visceral thrills that he found in those out-of-the-way theatres as a younger man.
Old 04-05-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seeing it on Monday, i'm really looking forward to it.
Old 04-05-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

whereas Quentin Tarantino was far more conscious of delivering the same visceral thrills that he found in those out-of-the-way theatres as a younger man.
Funny, I never found endless talking between 4 annoying women to be a "visceral thrill." Shit, I'm going to make up my own backstory - As a youth, Stuntman Mike was subjected to a lot of the annoying boring inane bullshit chatter we saw from the women in this movie, and now he does the world a public service by traveling the country and killing them.
Old 04-05-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jordan Raup
What was the song when the "coming previews" titles where shown. It's used in Danger Doom song "Old School" with Talib Kweli from the album "The Mouse and the Mask".
That's a '70s library track called "Soul Thing" by Tony Newman - used for "Coming Attractions" bumpers, also appropriated by Beck for his intro music. If digging up obscure 45s isn't your thing, you can find it on this CD.
Old 04-05-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I'm going first thing tomorrow. You've all got my expectations lowered, so maybe I'll actually enjoy Death Proof.
Old 04-05-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I mentioned my thoughts last week but to echo what others are saying here, I thought Planet Terror was great and Death Proof was terrible. It was meandering, pointless, boring and occassionally cheaply sadistic. Aside from the compartively short car chase (which is far from original and requires suspension of disbelief because all the girls act so incredibly dumb...just hit the brakes for chrissakes), I'm baffled how anyone could find anything viscerally exciting about it in the least.

Last edited by BJacks; 04-05-07 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Vol-1
Vol-2
Talk,talk,talk,talk

Planet Terror (And the trailers)
Death Proof
Talk,talk,talk,talk
If that's the case, then I will love Death Proof exponetially more than Planet Terror. I like KB 1, but it's so frustrating to sit through now, when I just want to get to the end, the meat, of the Bride's tale.

I'm sure I'll enjoy all of Grindhouse. So excited.
Old 04-05-07, 01:43 PM
DVDTalk Reviewer Emeritus - Founder of DVD Stalk

Originally Posted by ShaunoftheDead
Does anyone know when this will be reviewed at DVD Talk?
2 reviews of Grindhouse are now up on DVD Talk in the Theatrical Reviews section.
Old 04-05-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Orndorf
With that statement, I believe you missed the entire point of Tarantino's creation.

It's not about logic, but more about a crowded urban theater where a 40-year-old African-American woman stands up from her seat and screams, "BITCH, HIT THOSE MUTHAFUCKIN' BRAKES!"
And he made the film boring so that people would throw shit at the screen? He's a genius!

I shoulda left the hitting the brakes part off my post as that was the least of my thoughts...obviously Planet Terror wasn't ripped from real life either. Everything else I said stands though. The first act was meandering and the second was putting people to sleep.

Last edited by BJacks; 04-05-07 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think I've heard more conflicting reviews than those for Death Proof.
Old 04-05-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
From one of the DVDTalk reviews....

What's the point in sharing all of this with you? The point is that I know something about grindhouse films. In fact, I've probably forgotten more than most people have ever known. So, if any of you get upset by this review--especially if you haven't seen the film yet, or your knowledge is limited to having only seen whatever dozen or so films you feel makes you an expert--please, keep it to yourself.
Wow,I think he needs a drink or something....
Old 04-05-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The entire review was like that, heh.
Old 04-05-07, 02:59 PM

BTW, anyone else noticed the female deputy in Planet Terror? Tall with dark hair? She was SMOKIN' HOT. Who is she?
Old 04-05-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so, how are the trailers laid out on this? Is it like trailer, film, trailer, film? Are there any after the 2nd feature? Do I need to stay through the end credits?
Old 04-05-07, 05:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Vol-1
Vol-2
Talk,talk,talk,talk

Planet Terror (And the trailers)
Death Proof
Talk,talk,talk,talk
i was just gonna write that these 2 movies in "Grindhouse" seem exactly like the emotions i felt for both vol. 1 and vol. 2. i expected more action with 2, but on another viewing i loved it as much as 1. they were two different movies emotionally. PT and DP seem to fit the exact billing as the Kill Bill's and thus i can't freggin wait!!!!!!!!!

my only fret is that i cannot drink the whole day before watching. see i pee...a lot. i can go 5 times in the morning even before i have had a sip of water or anything. i like drinking water or diet soda because i get thirsty a lot so sitting for more than 3 hours is very disconcerting to me.

anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-05-07 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
anyone have any suggestions?
Depends?
Old 04-05-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My strategy is to drain my bladder as much as possible before the movie and to NOT eat or drink while watching it. If I eat I get thirsty. If I drink I have to go to the bathroom. If I go the bathroom I miss some of the movie. I haven't taken a bathroom break during a movie in the theater since Ghostbusters which was more than 20 years ago. If you must eat or drink during the movie then all I can do is wish you luck or second achau9598's suggestion.
Old 04-05-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally Posted by achau9598
Depends?
NASA Approved
Old 04-05-07, 06:02 PM

How long is the intermission? Is it just the three trailers?
Old 04-05-07, 08:44 PM
Banned

There is no intermission, just three trailers

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.