Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever accidentally found a place where they shot a movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Ever accidentally found a place where they shot a movie?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 12:55 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mallrats.

I went to a sneak preview at the mall where it was filmed (I didn't know beforehand it had been filmed there). It was pretty eerie walking out of the movie into the same landscape.
Old 04-03-07, 01:58 PM
Banned

I do some work in Fairhaven MA, I go by twice a week the exact hotel they filmed scenes from the movie Passionada with Jason Isaacs, Sofia Milos and Emmy Rossum. Great movie if anyone is looking for a movie to watch this weekend....
Old 04-03-07, 02:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildo1966
I do some work in Fairhaven MA, I go by twice a week the exact hotel they filmed scenes from the movie Passionada with Jason Isaacs, Sofia Milos and Emmy Rossum. Great movie if anyone is looking for a movie to watch this weekend....
I can't stand Emmy, but I do like Jason's acting... thanks for the recommendation.
Old 04-03-07, 04:17 PM

I didn't realize it until someone told me after I had seen the movie, but the train station exterior in X-men is real close by me. It was also used in The Long Kiss Goodnight, I think, though I haven't seen it. The scene on the shore of Liberty Island was also shot nearby, on the shore of Lake Ontario.
Old 04-03-07, 04:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmySRU
I ate dinner at the same spot Woddy Harrelson sat and ate at in the movie KINGPEN
Is that a straight-to-video knock off of Kingpin with Woody Harrelson?
Old 04-03-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
Not a lot happening in the Seattle scene for feature films, so it's still a neat thing to see and hear about filming locations.
It's either The Space Needle or absolute avoidance of the Space Needle. I thought it was funny (and so did others) that the Seattle "landmark" they briefly featured in The Ring was the monorail.

I also remembered my journalism teacher in high school worked at the school where they shot 10 Things I Hate About You while they were shooting (I have never been there) and she says many of her students are in the movie.
Old 04-03-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In a recent trip to New Zealand we tramped into areas where they filmed the LORT films as well as Last Samurai, Whale Rider, the Piano, and a couple of others. We went into these areas unaware but immediatley recognized them. In fact we had a picinic on one of the volcanos on the North Island where they filmed most of the scenes of Sam and Frodo walking through the volcanic areas (like at the end of the first movie). Later we found they have a self guided tour you can do to visit all the various locations of these movies. NZ was an amazing place and I can see why many would want to film there. Not too many places in the world that have snow capped mountains, rain forest, volcanos, glaciers, white sand beaches and ocean all within a few hours drive of each other.
Old 04-03-07, 09:25 PM

Visiting a friend at Agnes Scott college in Georgia and for some reason, areas at the college really looked familiar. Turns out, it was used for a lot of the school scenes in Scream 2.
Old 04-04-07, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,126 Posts
Parts of "Blades of Glory"(some of the Arena scenes) were shot at the LA Sports Arena and I used to work there and next door at the LA Coliseum.

Tons of films and TV ads get shot at both venues.
Old 04-04-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in Los Angeles and work in Torrance, so everything is a big movie or TV Location.
Old 04-04-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Years ago, I was vacationing in the Scotish Highlands and a crowd was gathered at the foot of a mountain where a movie was obviously being shot. There was a bunch of huts and people on horses. I asked what was going on, and they were shooting "Highlander" (the 1st one).

Before this, I was working/living in the Seychelles Islands and one day, I saw John and Bo Derek at a local expat hangout on the main island (Mahe) having a beer. I learned they were there to shoot that timeless classic "Tarzan, the Ape Man". They used one of the most beautiful secluded beaches on Praslin Island, a place I often went to on weekends.

Last edited by eXcentris; 04-04-07 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-04-07, 01:19 PM
Banned

I wouldn't have realized it if the guide hadn't pointed it out, but while canoeing in Kawai we were at the location where Indiana Jones escaped the Hovitos by swinging out on that vine in Raiders ("Start the plane, Jacque!"). I could not find that damn vine, though.
When I was real young, my friends and I were hopping up trying to see them filming Poltergeist in a Simi Valley neighborhood. Boring as shit. (Lotsa bright lights, though.)
I had a chance to see some filming of The Hulk in San Francisco, but I've gotten lazy in my old age and wise enough to realize that The Hulk would not be on the set that day.
Old 04-04-07, 03:46 PM

The bank in Dog Day Afternoon is two blocks from where I went to high school. The first day I went to HS I recongnized the location instantly. It is a loft or some kind of apartment now. In one scene in Dog Day you can see the Prospect Expressway in Brooklyn, NY, that is how I realized that was it.
Old 04-04-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm 99% sure that several scenes in the movie Idiocracy were filmed in the Austin Convention Center which is where my company has their annual convention. I tried to look this up last week to verify, but could only find out the film was done in Austin. The apartment complex I lived in when I first moved here was also in Office Space when the Jennifer Aniston and Ron Livingston are arguing in the car after the party. Mike Judge lives in Austin which is obviously why he films his movies here.

The graveyard from Texas Chainsaw Massacre is probably 5 miles from my house, but I've never actually driven up to see it though.
Old 04-04-07, 04:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I shop at the dawn of the dead mall in Monroeville PA frequently.
Also, my family and I used to eat at the howard johnson's in Wonder Boys all the time before they tore it down.
I drive past moobey" headquarters from Dogma in Pittsburgh a lot.
Old 04-05-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Was walking down South Street in Philly and came upon a small food place that looked good. Then deja vu hit me. It was that Jamaican place in the movie "In Her Shoes" where Toni Collette got married at the end. There's a field to the left. Had just eaten or would have ate there. Could smell the food on the street.
Old 04-05-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was working in Culver City and came out of work one evening in the summer and saw all this Christmas stuff up down the street. I was saying to myself "Man, they're making Christmas earlier and earlier... (SeaWorld has a Christmas tree up in the summer too!)".

Then a few days later, I look down the street. There's about 50 police cars set up. "Wow... what's going on now?". They were still there the next day, so I knew it wasn't the usual police activity going on in the city which is commonplace. Walked down there one night and they were filming Last Action Hero! Got to see (well kind of) them film the opening sequence on top of that building. One of the extras told me it wasn't Arnold there; it was his body double.
Old 04-05-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by movie diva
I live in Los Angeles and work in Torrance, so everything is a big movie or TV Location.
I live in Torrance and I've noticed that too. I saw an TV ep of RENO 911 that was shot at the Del Amo Mall.

Parts of "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" and the new one "At World's End" was shot in Ranchos Palos Verdes. PV is just South of Torrance near the waters. It's all called the "South Bay" area.

"Beverly Hills 90210" was actually Torrance High School and not anywhere near Beverly Hills. Torrance High is apparently popular for school scenes.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-05-07 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I was working in Culver City and came out of work one evening in the summer and saw all this Christmas stuff up down the street. I was saying to myself "Man, they're making Christmas earlier and earlier... (SeaWorld has a Christmas tree up in the summer too!)".

Then a few days later, I look down the street. There's about 50 police cars set up. "Wow... what's going on now?". They were still there the next day, so I knew it wasn't the usual police activity going on in the city which is commonplace. Walked down there one night and they were filming Last Action Hero! Got to see (well kind of) them film the opening sequence on top of that building. One of the extras told me it wasn't Arnold there; it was his body double.
I went to a Private Christian school in Culver City and they used our Church for "Once Bitten"(Jim Carrey). There was another time when they filmed some scenes in "Bachelor Party"(Tom Hanks) a block away at an office they rented. We got to meet him whe we were leaving afterschool. He came out and he signed autographs for a bunch of us. He was really nice.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-05-07 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-05-07, 10:43 PM

I haven't had a chance to go yet but in North Carolina they have a railroad mountain tour called the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad. They shot parts of the fugitive on it. It's been a while since I've seen the movie but I believe there was a bus crash or something like that. The bus or whatever vehicle it was is still there and can be seen on the tour.

http://www.gsmr.com/about/in-the-movies.php
Old 04-05-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This wasn't by accident, but I did live near one location where something was filmed. When I lived in Bridgewater, NJ, the exterior mall shots from the movie North were filmed at the Bridgewater Commons mall. I didn't see the movie, but the local paper thought it was really newsworthy and put that on the front page news. Basically the article and the accompanying photos mentioned the production crew was there very early that day just to have Elijah Wood run in through an entrance. (The interior sequences were shot in California). They brought in their own extras, complete with shopping bags from shops that didn't exist in this particular mall. The article also mentioned that because the scene was supposed to be a sunny and later in the day, and it was overcast, they used some special lighting to give it that effect.

Months later, I saw the trailer at this mall's multiplex theatre, complete with the said sequence of Wood running inside. But no one else in the audience seemed to catch that.
Old 04-05-07, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 04-05-07, 11:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Eplicon
This wasn't by accident, but I did live near one location where something was filmed. When I lived in Bridgewater, NJ, the exterior mall shots from the movie North were filmed at the Bridgewater Commons mall. I didn't see the movie, but the local paper thought it was really newsworthy and put that on the front page news. Basically the article and the accompanying photos mentioned the production crew was there very early that day just to have Elijah Wood run in through an entrance. (The interior sequences were shot in California). They brought in their own extras, complete with shopping bags from shops that didn't exist in this particular mall. The article also mentioned that because the scene was supposed to be a sunny and later in the day, and it was overcast, they used some special lighting to give it that effect.

Months later, I saw the trailer at this mall's multiplex theatre, complete with the said sequence of Wood running inside. But no one else in the audience seemed to catch that.
I hated this post. Hated hated hated hated hated this post. Hated it.
Old 04-06-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is the location where Forest Gump sat on the park bench waiting for the bus in Savannah, GA. I lived in the area for three years. The original park bench has since been removed due to visitor traffic.

Old 04-06-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Shazam
Obviously the famed Star Trek location, but wasn't this location also used in a Bill & Ted movie (the second one, I think)?