Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone know the numbers behind movie profits?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-01-07, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

box office numbers are always reported for movies but i'm curious how much money a movie actually makes.

say a movie cost $40 million and ends up making $100 million domestically. how much profit is made?

from what i've read: advertising can cost as much as production, worldwide usually doubles domestic box office, profits from box office is %50

so $40 million profit from ticket sales?
then pay-per-view? dvd? tv?
Old 04-01-07, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We will never know for sure, regardless of any numbers posted.
Old 04-01-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
There's no way to know, unfortunately.
Old 04-01-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Well, they keep making crap like Blades of Glory, so the numbers must be pretty damn good.
Old 04-01-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts
I've heard anecdotes. That when an actor is supposed to be paid a percentage of the net, and he get excited when the movie is a big success, he's told that the movie lost money. That the studios hate it that box office numbers are published, and were adamant that the DVD sales were kept secret. That blockbuster successes like Terminator 2 bankrupted Orion Pictures.

After the Enron collapse, new rules were made to insure financial transparency. They don't seem to apply to the motion picture industry.
Old 04-01-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Danger
After the Enron collapse, new rules were made to insure financial transparency. They don't seem to apply to the motion picture industry.
I'm no law expert, but I don't think the "enhanced financial disclosure" part of Sarbanes-Oxley could in any way apply to the movie studios, at least in the arena of public disclosure of information.
Old 04-01-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I've heard anecdotes. That when an actor is supposed to be paid a percentage of the net, and he get excited when the movie is a big success, he's told that the movie lost money. That the studios hate it that box office numbers are published, and were adamant that the DVD sales were kept secret. That blockbuster successes like Terminator 2 bankrupted Orion Pictures.

That's why all the smart/powerful actors get a cut of the gross these days.

Unless you happen to be an accountant or executive at the movie studios, you likely will never know what made money and what didn't - hell, what makes you think the "budget" they tell you is real?

No one wants to make the most expensive movie ever - but yet budgets are creeping up to the $300 million dollar level (Jack Sparrow, I'm looking at you).
Old 04-01-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Carolco Pictures was primarily behind Terminator 2. Their last two credits as a production company was both Cutthroat Island and Showgirls. The company fell into the dumper primarily because of what happened with Cutthroat Island being a major flop.
Old 04-01-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, as far as box office goes I know the rule of thumb is that a movie needs to make three times its cost to be considered "profitable" because by that point including ad revenues and perhaps even DVD production costs these days, after making 3 times the budget, that's undoubtedly all "in the black" from then on.

Obviously that doesn't tell you anything concrete about any specific movie, but you can also look on Box Office Mojo and they sometimes have the ad budget so that will give you a clearer idea of how much money the flick actually made.