Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Golden Compass

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-07, 02:11 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I support anything that kills God.
Old 11-11-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack Obammer
That link doesn't work.
http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

There ya go.
Old 11-11-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
I support anything that kills God.

lol...i wish i never checked this thread cos that spoiled the movie for me..
Old 11-11-07, 02:37 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
the children in the movie kill God in the end
Old 11-11-07, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
I bet there'll be a sequel and we find out that God never died afterall... or he did die, but his twin brother replaces him.
Old 11-11-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Big fan of the trilogy here.
FYI: The first book has little mention of religion, and I doubt the movie will, either. The religious elements come into play later on.
Oh, and saying "the kids kill God" is an asinine over-simplification of what actually happens.
Old 11-11-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Based on the Snopes article, the quote about the movie "killing God" isn't really accurate.

Spoiler:
It says "the children in the movie kill God in the end," which is only true if it's referring to the end of the series, which would be the third book. So in the movie being released this year, which is based on the first book, there is no deicide.
Old 11-11-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UAIOE
Talk like that makes me want to see it that much more!
Old 11-11-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The filmmakers have already stated that the movie itself has removed all the elements that you guys are so looking forward to.
Old 11-11-07, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Big fan of the trilogy here.
FYI: The first book has little mention of religion, and I doubt the movie will, either. The religious elements come into play later on.
Oh, and saying "the kids kill God" is an asinine over-simplification of what actually happens.
Actually the third book in the series reads a bit like Milton's "Paradise Lost", and that I found a bit suprising. There is quite a bit of anti-Catholic dogma in there. Coming from a non Catholic background I enjoyed the first two books' total fantasy and was quite surprised at the serious and morose turn the final book took. I still enjoyed it, but just realize Philip Pullman himself has stated he wrote the series with the intent to be his answer to C. S. Lewis' Narnia. A little plodding in the end, but still great stuff over all.

As far as the message in the movie goes, they did an interview with Nicole Kidman about the "anti God" message in the message in the movie and she said that since she was a strong believer herself, and if the movie had such a strong "anti God" message she would never had taken part in it. This leads me to believe they have "dumbed down" parts of message for mass appeal. But as already stated, there really isn't much of this until the third book anyways...
Old 11-12-07, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well the possible "dumbing down" of that aspect makes me not want to see it now.
Old 11-12-07, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
I also wonder, what's the point of these kinds of boycotting efforts? Look what happened with Martin Scorsese’s The Last Temptation of Christ. ...
Maybe the boycotting efforts are not directed towards actually banning the movie(s) to begin with. Instead, I would imagine it being seen as a relatively easy and cheap way to advertise Christianity (or whatever religion or idea you base your boycott on). The bigger the movie, the easier it is to create a "controversy" with which to make a point that you should still be seen as a relevant part of society.

The studios will play along as long as it doesn't go to extremes because of the free publicity. The media is being used, but they don't care either because it gives them something to print and sell copies with. Religious fanatics get something to do and feel that they are needed. Others get a good laugh. Everybody wins.
Old 11-12-07, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Clive Barker's "Imajica"... "Golden Compass for Adults"

I would say that if you're a Christian, take your kids anyway. Just be prepared to answer some potentially difficult questions if they should come up. You should be doing that anyway....

The point is, chances are the kids will just enjoy the movie for what it is then go back to their Britney Spears CD's and texting their BFE's.

This whole topics shows the insane bullshit pain in the ass extremists on both sides of the There's a God/There's no god issue.

I love The Internets!

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-12-07 at 05:24 AM.
Old 11-12-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for spoiling the ending
Old 11-12-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
Thanks for spoiling the ending
I hope everyone saying this is being sarcastic. As was pointed out, the original statement is a gross simplification and in fact not accurate.
Old 11-12-07, 09:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This movie looks like yet another LOTR/Narnia clone, but I might have to buy a ticket (even if I don't see it) just to do my part to enrage the idiots protesting it.
Old 11-12-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
The point is, chances are the kids will just enjoy the movie for what it is then go back to their Britney Spears CD's and texting their BFE's.
Best Friend Experience? Been hobbying much?
Old 11-12-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
Best Friend Experience? Been hobbying much?

Like I know what those teen bitches are into.
Old 11-12-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In defense of the OP, I've heard about this film and the first thing I was told was something along the same lines.

Let the Christianists have their dumb boycott. However, they sure killed Madonna's career after she released Like a Virgin back in 1984. I haven't heard anything about her since.
Old 11-12-07, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
This movie looks like yet another LOTR/Narnia clone, but I might have to buy a ticket (even if I don't see it) just to do my part to enrage the idiots protesting it.
Not even close. Did you even bother reading my post? Read the books.
Old 11-12-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I'm just going to wait for Prince Caspian and not bother with this clone.
Old 11-12-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Not even close. Did you even bother reading my post? Read the books.
You posted "just realize Philip Pullman himself has stated he wrote the series with the intent to be his answer to C. S. Lewis' Narnia".

Sounds like the poster is right on.
Old 11-12-07, 12:10 PM
Cool New Member

The church is boycotting the film not because of its content, which is presumably irrelevant at this point, but because the film serves as a "hook", a kids' adventure story to get children interested in reading the books which, as it has been pointed out, amplify their atheistic intent the further into the series.

This isn't an example of Catholic bigotry jumping all over an offensive message, and certainly not the ridiculously reductive notion of judging a film's content before its release, which is calling the kettle black around here. This is a subterfuge by the author of the books to lure children into an atheistic mode of thinking by purely superficial means. If you care to think of a magical film or book from your childhood with such an idea superimposed, would you have rejected it based on its ideology? I would think not, nonetheless; word travels fast amongst children these days and its doubtful that the intent of the author would go 'under their radar'-- if kids like something they'll support it, ideology and all.

So the only intolerance of beliefs comes from the author, not the catholic church, and not the film, or at least its too early to tell. The boycott at least makes this known to parents so that how they raise their children won't be undercut by a deceptive novelist.

Nevertheless, the ignorance and blasé attitudes of this forum never fail to impress me.

Last edited by Jacobsen; 11-12-07 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-12-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jacobsen
Nevertheless, the ignorance and blasé attitudes of this forum never fail to impress me.
Honey, I hope you are not referring to me. Seriously, first we had a boycott of Disney (didn't work), Harry Potter (same) and now this. As I said earlier, these boycotts only serve as publicity. We know what Hollywood believes about publicity...
Old 11-12-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacobsen
The church is boycotting the film not because of its content, which is presumably irrelevant at this point, but because the film serves as a "hook", a kids' adventure story to get children interested in reading the books which, as it has been pointed out, amplify their atheistic intent the further into the series.

This isn't an example of Catholic bigotry jumping all over an offensive message, and certainly not the ridiculously reductive notion of judging a film's content before its release, which is calling the kettle black around here. This is a subterfuge by the author of the books to lure children into an atheistic mode of thinking by purely superficial means. If you care to think of a magical film or book from your childhood with such an idea superimposed, would you have rejected it based on its ideology? I would think not, nonetheless; word travels fast amongst children these days and its doubtful that the intent of the author would go 'under their radar'-- if kids like something they'll support it, ideology and all.

So the only intolerance of beliefs comes from the author, not the catholic church, and not the film, or at least its too early to tell. The boycott at least makes this known to parents so that how they raise their children won't be undercut by a deceptive novelist.

You seem to be saying there is something wrong with writing a children's book with an atheistic "message". Would you say it's wrong to write a children's book a with Christianity, Muslim or Buddhist "message" as well?

What I'm wondering is if you are objecting to the fact there is a message at all or if you simply object to the atheism.

When I look at it, I see that that's the viewpoint of the book. It's not inherently right or wrong, it's just the viewpoint. It's up to the reader to take it from there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.