Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Blades of Glory

Old 03-26-07, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blades of Glory

yay! it comes out this weekend. i am so excited to see this. sooo many great comedians. will ferrell, jon heder, will arnett, jenna fischer, and amy poehler. what an amazing cast. iam gonna die laughing....i already am at the trailers. so excited it's this weekend.
Old 03-26-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never really had anything against the "Will Ferrel doing whacky activity X" movies, but this one looks really, really bad. There was only one joke in the trailer that made me almost considering cracking a smile, and that was when the mascot caught on fire. But that wasn't even an original joke (see: Oldschool and others). I suppose the concept of guys in animal costumes being lit on fire is just inherently funny to me.

But overall the movie just looks unfunny and lame. Every time I see Jon Heder in a new role, I think to myself, "oh look, he's trying to branch out again, despite the fact that he was good for one, and only one role." And the movie looks like 50% of the humor is going to come from gay jokes. Hey, he's touching his crotch!!! HILARIOUS!

I'll be glad when this one is out so I can stop seeing the damned trailer.
Old 03-26-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by caiman
I've never really had anything against the "Will Ferrel doing whacky activity X" movies, but this one looks really, really bad. There was only one joke in the trailer that made me almost considering cracking a smile, and that was when the mascot caught on fire. But that wasn't even an original joke (see: Oldschool and others). I suppose the concept of guys in animal costumes being lit on fire is just inherently funny to me.

But overall the movie just looks unfunny and lame. Every time I see Jon Heder in a new role, I think to myself, "oh look, he's trying to branch out again, despite the fact that he was good for one, and only one role." And the movie looks like 50% of the humor is going to come from gay jokes. Hey, he's touching his crotch!!! HILARIOUS!

I'll be glad when this one is out so I can stop seeing the damned trailer.

Totally agree. I still like Will Ferrel but Heder is getting freaking annoying.
Old 03-26-07, 06:36 PM
Banned

I suppose the concept of guys in animal costumes being lit on fire is just inherently funny to me.
Careful, you may anger the furverts.
Old 03-26-07, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
Careful, you may anger the furverts.
Nah, I wouldn't be surprised if certain sects were into it. "Fire Yiffing" or something.
Old 03-26-07, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell
I agree as well. Jon Heder is the death of funny.
Old 03-26-07, 06:51 PM
Banned

Nah, I wouldn't be surprised if certain sects were into it. "Fire Yiffing" or something.
Old 03-26-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdrlv
I would actually have been excited for this had David Spade been cast in the John Heder role. As it is, I'll skip this one.
Old 03-26-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
I couldn't stand Napoleon Dynamite, but I was pleasantly surprised with him in School for Scoundrels. BoG looks ok, but my expectations are low going in.
Old 03-26-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think this looks way funnier than Talladega Nights. Something about it makes me laugh when I see the previews, where as Talladega Nights I didn't really have any interest in seeing it (and still haven't).
Old 03-29-07, 07:01 PM
Suspended

I saw it last night. Its pretty funny. Heder is basically the straight man to Ferrell's Chaz (which I think is the same name he had in Wedding Crashers). Overall I'm sure it'll be #1 this weekend. This is a really well put together comedy and its worth the price os admission for some of the outfits Will Arnett has on.
Old 03-29-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
This is a really well put together comedy and its worth the price of admission for some of the outfits Jenna Fischer has on.
Fixed.
Old 03-29-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would rather shot a rabbit (AKA-Easter-bunny),then see this movie.
Old 03-29-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Will Ferrell, but his other "sports" movie, Kicking and Screaming was horrid. Hopefully this will be better.
Old 03-29-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this last night as well...pretty funny for the most part, some stupid moments of course...probably the gayest movie I've seen since Brokeback Mountain

Grade: B-
Old 03-29-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

couldn't agree more i just can't stand Heder, Napoleon Dynamite wasn't good.
I also can't stand Amy Poehler, she annoy's the hell out of me-actually the whole SNL cast annoy's the hell out of me for some reason.
'Stranger than Fiction' was such a great movie & its sad to see Will Ferrell go back to making stupid movies like this.
Old 03-30-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this movie looks horrible. its funny how they made Heder up to look like Owen Wilson though. he must not have been available for the role.
Old 03-30-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm seeing it for Will (who I do find funny in doses), Jenna Fischer, and Will Arnett.
Old 03-30-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And the movie looks like 50% of the humor is going to come from gay jokes. Hey, he's touching his crotch!!! HILARIOUS!
I sometimes wonder what in the hell straight guys are going to do for humor once just implying someone is gay isn't good enough for a laugh anymore. This and Wild Hogs are all about lazy gay panic jokes.
Old 03-30-07, 01:11 PM

stiller or wilson should of played heders part.
Old 03-30-07, 01:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by adamblast
I sometimes wonder what in the hell straight guys are going to do for humor once just implying someone is gay isn't good enough for a laugh anymore. This and Wild Hogs are all about lazy gay panic jokes.
I can't wait 'til you see the trailer for I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry...
Old 03-30-07, 01:23 PM
Banned

My local newspaper gave this movie 5 stars.......
Old 03-30-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Instead of Heder...I would have loved to see Kattan so that he and Ferrell could be reunited since I guilty enjoyed Night at the Roxbury
Old 03-30-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I disliked Napoleon Dynamite but i enjoyed Heder in The Benchwarmers and School for Scoundrals. This looks funny to me
Old 03-30-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I can't wait 'til you see the trailer for I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry...
The gay blogosphere seems to be giving Sandler a pass on his movie so far. Of course, no one's seen much of it yet. He has a generally gay-friendly reputation.

On the other hand, I find the premise itself fairly offensive, along the same lines as Soul Man, with C.Thomas Howell in blackface touting reverse-discrimination... It's a sad disservice to base a movie on the premise that it would be *easier* for a gay couple--when 30+ states have made us constitutionally 2nd-class and denied all of the basic rights that these guys are pretending we do have... Makes it harder to fight for your basic rights when idiots all over the place think you're getting preferential treatment due to some thoughtless and brainless comedy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.