Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stardust

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must be the only one that actually liked the trailer. I'm a dork that TIVO's 'Nothing But Trailers' and have been excited for some time for this movie. Looks like one I can take the kids to as well.
Old 08-04-07, 10:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the trailer looks great and i think this movie will do quite well.
The book was so enjoyable and the movie looks like a lot of fun. (unlike Harry Potter IMO)
If a movie called Bridge to Terebitia (or whatever the hell) can do well then this movie sure as hell better make at least $100 million.
Old 08-04-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I think the trailer looks great and i think this movie will do quite well.
The book was so enjoyable and the movie looks like a lot of fun. (unlike Harry Potter IMO)
If a movie called Bridge to Terebitia (or whatever the hell) can do well then this movie sure as hell better make at least $100 million.
Bridge to Terabithia was not only a beloved children's novel, but also had Disney marketing it whereas Stardust has the marketing of sinking ship Paramount.
Old 08-04-07, 04:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sinking ship Paramount who just released Transformers and Disturbia?
Old 08-04-07, 05:35 PM
Banned

...and has iron man and indiana jones IV coming out next year mind you...
What are they gonna do?
Old 08-04-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Problem is that this isn't as easy to market. What, you target the hardcore comic fans who most of which haven't even read this book and exclude those female types who would like it as a love story?

You market it as a love story and exclude the typical comic/guy crowd and just make it a chick flick?

It's a tough sell any way you cut it.
Old 08-04-07, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Sinking ship Paramount who just released Transformers and Disturbia?
Not to mention Disney's marketing of Bridge To Terabithia had most people leaving the theater confused...
Old 08-04-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
Not to mention Disney's marketing of Bridge To Terabithia had most people leaving the theater confused...
We had to read "The Bridge to Terabithia" in grade school.

The commercials for the movie made it look like some kind of fantasy epic like Narnia or The Neverending Story. I haven't seen the movie (and don't plan on it), but the book was like a Lifetime Movie of the Week for ten year-olds.
Old 08-05-07, 05:55 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Problem is that this isn't as easy to market. What, you target the hardcore comic fans who most of which haven't even read this book and exclude those female types who would like it as a love story?

You market it as a love story and exclude the typical comic/guy crowd and just make it a chick flick?

It's a tough sell any way you cut it.
They could do targeted marketing, instead of one all-purpose trailer.
Old 08-10-07, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really don't know what to make of what I know so far about Stardust.

Theres good actors and what seems like a good story line, but I dont know... theres a lot of it that just looks real cheesy.

Just as easy as it could be really good it could be really bad

It mind end up being a Ben Kingsley in Bloodrayne type of movie
Old 08-10-07, 04:46 AM
Banned by request

Just saw a midnight show, and I loved it! I'd go so far as to say this is one of the best movies of the year. Everything about it worked. Granted, some of the special effects looked to be on the poorer end of the spectrum, but it didn't detract from the experience one bit. The whole cast was brilliant, especially Claire Danes and Robert De Niro. This thing is probably going to do little at the box office, but it's a damn sight better than anything else that's out right now.
Old 08-10-07, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stardust is very good. It's lots of fun.

Granted, I know the choices this weekend are Rush Hour or watching Bratz a second time out of loyalty, but Stardust is really well-done. There're a few flaws that probably stem from adapting the book - a bit long, a lot of characters that bog down the film's momentum by introducing them all, some scenes that feel like they probably meant a lot in the book but not so much after editing - kinda the same problems I had with Matthew Vaughn's Layer Cake. They don't affect the movie much, though.

So, yes. Stardust is properly good. To be all Donald Kaufman about it, it's Midnight Run meets The Princess Bride, done with such a sense of genuine fun and adventure, you won't even mind Take That playing over the credits.
Old 08-10-07, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yeah, it's a shame it'll do poorly in the box office. It deserves a lot more credit than it's going to be getting. Hopefully word of mouth spreads. who knows.
Old 08-10-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really loved the movie and thought it was extremely well done. Claire Danes was radiant and De Niro seemed to be having a great time. I think this movie can appeal to just about anyone, young/old male/female because it truly does have something for everyone...I just don't know if the audience is going to find it. Word of mouth will be stellar, but this looks like a sleeper video hit to me - however I'll be back for a second viewing and taking as many people as I can wrangle up with me. Just a fun, fun movie.

MATT
Old 08-10-07, 04:07 PM
Banned

This film was fantastic.
Better than any Harry Potter movie, ANY movie this summer and probably the best fantasy film ever made after Lord of the Rings.
I would put stardust in my best films of the year right up with Death Proof and Zodiac.
I will be so pissed off if this movie doesn't do well.

Last edited by chris_sc77; 08-10-07 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-10-07, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I really loved the movie and thought it was extremely well done. Claire Danes was radiant and De Niro seemed to be having a great time. I think this movie can appeal to just about anyone, young/old male/female because it truly does have something for everyone...I just don't know if the audience is going to find it. Word of mouth will be stellar, but this looks like a sleeper video hit to me - however I'll be back for a second viewing and taking as many people as I can wrangle up with me. Just a fun, fun movie.

MATT
It's funny, because at the comic con screening Neil Gaiman didn't seem at all nervous that Stardust was going to be a hit. He just wasn't sure if it was going to be a box office or video hit. I really hope this movie is a hit.
Old 08-10-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This movie is going to tank harder than Serenity and Grindhouse combined.
Old 08-10-07, 05:41 PM
Banned by request

I think it'll be hard for it to tank worse than Grindhouse, heh.
Old 08-10-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
JGranted, some of the special effects looked to be on the poorer end of the spectrum, but it didn't detract from the experience one bit.
I've read the total production cost for the movie was only US$70 million, cheap consider the cast. The producer said he could have paid a lot more for expensive CGI effects but the aim of the movie is storytelling, not a CGI fest.
Old 08-10-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just got back from watching Stardust. Excellent, excellent film. Robert de Niro and Michelle Phiffer are surprisingly good; Claire Danes and Charlie Cox have surprising chemistry. Honestly, the only word that describes the film is "magical"... I would definitely recommend it.

And yeah -- it has a terrible marketing campaign. We can only hope that word-of-mouth and positive reviews give it a decent amount of legs.
Old 08-10-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be going to see this one for sure, so I'm glad that you guys are praising it.
Old 08-10-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
I LOVED this movie. I thought it was so magical. I loved the little special effect they did with Claire Danes, and I thought that the effects for the most part were fine. I loved the character they gave to even little bit parts. When I saw that DeNiro was involved I was like, huh? But he is really great in this movie and really plays off previous roles incredibly well. It was warm and sweet and fun, a great fantasy. I am shocked I am writing this, but my favorite film of the summer.
Old 08-11-07, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm reading the book now, and then I'm going to see it next week.
Old 08-11-07, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
I loved this movie!!!! Hadn't heard much about it, saw minimal TV spots and just saw the trailer last night on youtube. Fantastic movie! The characters were great, the performances were good, the story was fun and magical. Claire Danes and Michelle Pfeiffer looked amazing, and DeNiro's performance was golden. Very on par with the Princess Bride, if not better. I liked this movie WAYYYYY better than Harry Potter this year. This will be seen again in the theater, and this will be owned in HD when it hits DVD.
Overall a fantastic year for movies, besides the Order Of The Phoenix garbage....
Old 08-11-07, 03:39 AM

Fantastic film.
It's a different kind of fantasy - more Dark Crystal in spirit than it is LotR or Narnia.

Any fan of fantasy or love story with malevolent whimsy should see this in the theaters.
And no need to read the book first with this movie, at all. They actually explain why stuff happened onscreen for the viewer, instead of assuming the audience won;t care about major plot points (*cough Harry Potter*)
In fact, if you don't read the book first, the movie wll be all the more refreshingly surprising at different points in the film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.