DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Sound of Music - my thoughts (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/496080-sound-music-my-thoughts.html)

grim_tales 03-23-07 03:47 PM

The Sound of Music - my thoughts

I can't beleive I just watched this for the first time! :)

Anyway I enjoyed it and was pleased I saw it, Julie Andrews is fantastic in it - I remembered many songs from when I was little, the delightful Do-Ray-Mi, Favourite Things, The Lonely Goatherd and of course the title song. :)
It has a better story than say, Singin' In The Rain but on paper it is more serious, in fact I would submit Sound of Music would work as a drama movie if the songs were taken out.
The element of plotline about how Julie Andrews's character changed the family for the better by being "unconventional" and showing her love of children seemed a bit like 1964's Mary Poppins, a childhood favourite of mine. There's a seemingly cold, uncaring father who doesn't "love" his children properly in both films as well.

Kal-El 03-23-07 04:45 PM

Absolutely love it. Own the 5-star and the 40th anniversary release DVDs. It's my family's personal Family Movie.

Brent_MN 03-23-07 06:31 PM

I saw this for the first time last year (I'm 24) and was amazed at how I already knew most of the songs? And I've noticed I get a lot more pop cultural references I wouldn't have before. Good stuff.

riley_dude 03-23-07 09:30 PM

I remember I saw it for the first time when I was about 10. I loved it. It's always been one of my favorites.
I still want to visit Austria after seeing that film.

grim_tales 03-24-07 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Brent_MN
I saw this for the first time last year (I'm 24) and was amazed at how I already knew most of the songs? And I've noticed I get a lot more pop cultural references I wouldn't have before. Good stuff.

I'm the same as you with the songs - I already knew some of them from when I was a lot younger, and in the UK there was a recent show called "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria" in which a new lead was cast for Sound of Music :)

FiveO 03-24-07 10:12 AM

Just watched it a few weeks ago. One of my favorites.

Brent_MN 03-24-07 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by grim_tales
I'm the same as you with the songs - I already knew some of them from when I was a lot younger, and in the UK there was a recent show called "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria" in which a new lead was cast for Sound of Music :)

pics!! :)

grim_tales 03-24-07 11:30 AM

You mean pics of the lead actress?

Here she is - Connie Fisher, winner of the show:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...h+Images&gbv=2

grim_tales 03-24-07 11:32 AM

What pop culture references were there?

Brent_MN 03-24-07 02:32 PM

yeah her, thanks for the link.

Pop culture references... like when someone in a tv show or another movie makes reference to the Von Trapps or something of that nature. Now I know who they are talking about. It's happened more than once while I was watching Gilmore Girls.

NatrlBornThrllr 03-24-07 05:15 PM

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5...usic4kt.th.jpg

:D

riley_dude 03-25-07 02:17 AM

I can't make it out. Who signed it?

Brain Stew 03-25-07 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I can't make it out. Who signed it?

Julie Andrews.

grim_tales 03-25-07 04:17 AM

yeah her, thanks for the link.

Pop culture references... like when someone in a tv show or another movie makes reference to the Von Trapps or something of that nature. Now I know who they are talking about. It's happened more than once while I was watching Gilmore Girls.

Ahhh... I see, I thought you meant pop culture references in the actual movie, not ABOUT the movie.

JimRochester 03-25-07 09:54 AM

I'm one of the guys around here that's old enough to have seen it at the theater when I was a kid. SoM and Mary Poppins came oiut in the same year and I was old enough to go to the movies but young enough to understand how someone can be in two movies at the same time. It's like trying to be in two places at the same time. Of course I was only 4 or 5 so give me break.

I still love the songs. Sometimes I'll throw in the DVD and just jump from song to song.

adamblast 03-26-07 06:00 PM

What I love most is its subtlety. Nazis vs. Nuns and little children. I hardly know who to root for. :)

tanman 03-26-07 09:01 PM

Not only that but the tension between the captain and maria was very well done.

DieselsDen 03-27-07 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by adamblast
What I love most is its subtlety. Nazis vs. Nuns and little children. I hardly know who to root for. :)

I, frankly, was offended by the insensitive portrayal of the Nazis. Where is the sense of political balance in these G-rated flicks?

Anyhow, anyone else here in love with Liesl, portrayed by Charmain Carr? Hot, hot, hot.

adamblast 03-30-07 09:49 AM

Actually, I remember having a fight with a neighbor kid about the movie when it first came out. I was probably eight. He and his family saw it, and he came back all pissed off because the movie had been cut.

According to him, Maria and the kids were sitting around singing "Do Re Mi" then suddenly they're riding bicycles, then suddenly they're climbing trees, then suddenly they're jumping up and down stairs, etc. I didn't have the vocabulary at that age to explain the concept of montage, so I just told him it was supposed to be that way, and he was retarded. He beat me up. :lol:

The Bus 01-02-11 07:50 AM

Re: The Sound of Music - my thoughts

Watching this for the first time. I hate musicals but damn it if Rodgers & Hammerstein don't make catchy songs. :lol:

rw2516 01-02-11 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by grim_tales (Post 7730214)
in fact I would submit Sound of Music would work as a drama movie if the songs were taken out.

Some of the non-musical Nazi scenes look like something out of big WWII film like Guns Of Navarone or Where Eagles Dare.
Another film I feel the same way about is Disney's Miracle Of The White Stallions. Pretty tame for the kiddies, but a lot of the scenes look like big serious war film.

Ash Ketchum 01-02-11 09:35 AM

Your thread bump coincides with the recent death of the eldest Von Trapp child, Agathe Von Trapp (Liesl in the film), at the age of 97. The obit was in the paper on Friday, I think.