Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Kingdom (Peter Berg film)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Kingdom (Peter Berg film)

Old 10-06-07, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts
I thought it was pretty good. Was very slow in the first 3/4ths of the movie, but it's good at setting up the last battle sequence. Awesome gun battles. That part where Jennifer Garner came down that hole in the ceiling was sweet.
Old 10-08-07, 06:23 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by SuckaMC
finally got to see this tonight. After being hyped up after months of seeing the trailer, I have to say... this movie rocked! Its the first time in a long time that a movie has lived up to my trumped up expectations. I was riveted throughout and tense during that whole last half hour. The fact that the hostage ( I won't say who, just incase) fought his ass off to survive was welcome change. I would welcome with open arms a longer cut of this movie.. Amazing.
Amen. Possibly my favorite film of the year so far.
Old 12-17-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This movie was awesome! Peter Berg certainly knows how to make highly entertaining films!
Old 12-22-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't get how the FBI was able to go to Saudi Arabia? I thought they were limited to just inside our country?
Old 12-24-07, 01:49 PM

It was alright...The camera angles made me a little motion sick but I'm doing fine now lol. It was a little slow in the middle but the ending was superb. Re-watch value... eh End sequence ya sure.
Old 01-18-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got around to watching my HD DVD rental of this one. Would give it a strong *** out of ****, an entertaining movie that played like a cross between Syriana (only less high-level) and 80's men on a mission movies like Uncommon Valor and Rambo: First Blood Part II. Peter Berg is a guy I'm really digging; The Rundown was entertaining as hell, after all.

Pros:

-Jamie Foxx does the badass routine that Miami Vice using sparingly due to how boring it was.

-Jason Bateman is THE MAN.

-Chris Cooper!

-Jeremy Piven's scenery chewing as the shithead bureaucrat.

-Peter Berg's direction was extremely strong, and you can tell Michael Mann had say in the production.

-Danny Huston continues his streak as the new character actor of awesomeness, an Attorney General that makes Alberto Gonzales look like a hero.

-The opening credits were fantastic, an intriguing history lesson about the FBI and American-Saudi relations.

-The first act (the two terrorist attacks) and the last 20 minutes are absolutely killer.

-The politics were surprisingly not right-wing to me, came across more as a straightforward narrative and showed the protagonists to be following protocol while also fighting off the mudracking state of the government.

What I didn't like was how te first 40 minutes are a great procedural political drama and the last 20 are balls-to-the-wall thrilling, but once the action begins in Saudi Arabia the film feels too slow. Also thought there could have been slightly more clarity to the plot, but nonetheless a tight and entertaining film, shame this didn't do better than it did.
Old 02-16-08, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just saw it tonight for the first time. Loved the action scene at the end...one of the best I've seen in a while.

= J